DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
2 members and 527 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

May 10, 2005, 12:48 PM

The term "cagers" is funny to me because in this area we are all generally "cagers" for at least 4-6 months out of the year, so who decided that as soon as riding season is in full swing...all the "cagers" are another species...lol...it just sounds weird because most people make it sound like they don't know what a "cage" is and have never dwelled in the "cage environment...lol...what y'all think?

Sex is like a game of spades; if you don't have a good partner you better have a good hand!

I luv phat a$$es...big ti!!ies are just a bonus!

No matter how lowered your CIVIC is, you won't win a race against me...that's just the way it is!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kdybread  
Unread
  (#2)
ATTN INVESTORS!

May 10, 2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdybread
The term "cagers" is funny to me because in this area we are all generally "cagers" for at least 4-6 months out of the year, so who decided that as soon as riding season is in full swing...all the "cagers" are another species...lol...it just sounds weird because most people make it sound like they don't know what a "cage" is and have never dwelled in the "cage environment...lol...what y'all think?

Don't know where it came from but its not something that originated around here, I don't think. Been around for as long as I can remember. I knew the term before I even started riding. I think "cage" is very old-school.

I haven't owned a car in almost 3 years now, and I'm disgusted with myself any time I have to drive or ride in one.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

May 10, 2005, 01:27 PM

I know that 4-6 months a year, we're for the most part all cagers, but i think there is a mentality us riders have that we should/do carry over when we "cage it." We are at least aware there are bikers out there and we keep an eye out for them and don't try to run them off the road like other people around here.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JDogg5  
Unread
  (#4)
ATTN INVESTORS!

May 10, 2005, 01:38 PM

4-6 months???????? Didn't know people only ride between Memorial and Labor Day...LORDY! No wonder there are still comments about the temps, even on days like yesterday and today.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

May 10, 2005, 01:39 PM

I would concur with JDogg... we (for the most part) all cage it. Its kind of a must with the climate except for the truely die-hard insane types (more power to ya rekoniz - although I have been out there since February). But those that ride usually have a different mindset when driving to watch out for bikes and check more carefully when pulling out... trying to be more aware of what's out there and making it a safer place.

I wonder if there is a correlation between people who have motorcycle licences whether they have a lower risk of an accident behind the wheel than someone without. I do know for a fact that it does increase your likelyhood for a moving violation or two.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HUD750 Send a message via MSN to HUD750  
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 10, 2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogg5
I know that 4-6 months a year, we're for the most part all cagers, but i think there is a mentality us riders have that we should/do carry over when we "cage it." We are at least aware there are bikers out there and we keep an eye out for them and don't try to run them off the road like other people around here.
This true for the most part, especially with the responsible riders. If you ride like you have some common sense, then it usually passes over to when your drive'n (signal'n, constantly check'n your surroundings, keep'n good brake'n distance, etc.).

I believe the term cage, or cagers are refer'n to the structure of a car. Everything is built on/or inside a frame (that pretty much looks like a cage to me) that is designed to protect the occupants from impacts. As a rider on the other hand, we don't have the luxury to take anything for granted like someone would normally do in a cage (like the inconvenience of a fender bender- to a rider that could mean serious harm and/or lots damage to their bike and even death!).

When I use the term cage, or cagers... I'm usually refer'n to someone who never has ridden a bike and doesn't know/or care about the hazards we as riders have to deal with, and doesn't exercise caution when it comes to other vehicles on the road, not just bikes.

RICO

'01 http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...GSXR750XK5.jpg

Ready at the drop of a spoon...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NiceTry Send a message via MSN to NiceTry  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

May 10, 2005, 05:22 PM

My older sister was a biker chick back in the '70s. (yes I'm old) I used to go to biker parties and read Easy Rider magazine as a kid. They used the term Cager back then. These were hard core Hells Angels types. Scooter Trash.

The usage of "Cager" by today's sportbikers makes me

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
  Send a message via AIM to