DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
0 members and 545 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Can anyone here do a public record look up?
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Can anyone here do a public record look up? - January 12, 2015, 01:42 PM

I'm trying to find out the final disposition of the guy that hit me. He was found guilty in a MoCo traffic court (it's a criminal court there) but besides the fine I don't know what happened to him.

The lawyer is about to have me sign off on the case but MD law says he's in the clear if I do. Before I sign I want to know if a couple a hundred bucks to the state bought him out of any trouble for putting me out of work for life, cutting me off from my retirement/benefits, wiping out my savings and leaving me several hundred thousand in debt.

If any one knows how to access/see/get a copy of the public record I'd appreciate the help.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 01:45 PM

Here's a link to the court records search page. Maryland Judiciary Case Search
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
All weather rider

January 12, 2015, 01:51 PM

Unless the case has been sealed, shouldn't all fines and sentences (and how much of the sentence was suspended), and probation duration be listed here: Maryland Judiciary Case Search ?
Within Montgomery County, you should be able to search all the courts (traffic and circuit) by defendant name.
Unread
  (#4)

January 12, 2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks. Maryland Judiciary Case Search confirms that he's guilty and it cost him 200 in fines but there's no more info than that. I was hoping I could find out anything else. If he got points then how many, etc.

I'm hoping that, given how much damage he did, he at least lost his license. I mean I'm gonna be 75 yo and working at McD's to afford cat food (no I don't have a cat) and all this f*ck*r gets is a $200 fine?

Not to be a b*tch or anything but I'm not ok with that.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#5)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 02:13 PM

You should sue him and his insurance company, assuming he had one.. If you win he pays court costs. At least usually. Unfortunately, if it's not a slam dunk, you'll usually have to pay the lawyer up front.

sucks to hear you got so banged up...
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

January 12, 2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
You should sue him and his insurance company, assuming he had one.. If you win he pays court costs. At least usually. Unfortunately, if it's not a slam dunk, you'll usually have to pay the lawyer up front.

sucks to hear you got so banged up...
I think DC mentioned awhile back that guy has basically no assets and was w/o insurance.

Nothing to go after.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

January 12, 2015, 02:21 PM

Okay,
Criminal/traffic court has nothing to do with him compensating you for damages he caused. Its him vs the state, not him vs you. You have to sue him in civil court to make it him vs you.

A lot of personal injury lawyers will work on contingency. Use the system.
Just turn on the TV or look in yellow pages.
Unread
  (#8)

January 12, 2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks but he doesn't have anything I can sue him for. We checked. He has half a house but since his other whatever owns half he can't be sued, even for just his half. He did stop at he scene but it not like he takes responsibility. His lawyer pled him no guilty but after the helmet cam footage the judge just looked at him like "Boy! Are you out of your mind?!".

He has a history of speeding and running stop signs. I was hoping the fact he finally hit someone would actually slow him down (or, preferably, get him off the road) making the rest of us safer.

And yes, he was under-insured.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#9)

January 12, 2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
Okay,
Criminal/traffic court has nothing to do with him compensating you for damages he caused. Its him vs the state, not him vs you. You have to sue him in civil court to make it him vs you.

A lot of personal injury lawyers will work on contingency. Use the system.
Just turn on the TV or look in yellow pages.
MD, as a state, has subrogation. If I take the insurance money I can't sue him. Since he was under-insured it's actually my UIM insurance that will pay out. I got the maximum allowed by VA but it's still not enough to cover the bills so that leaves me unable to work and with no money.

So - I'm screwed for life while he pays 200 bucks and just walks away.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; January 12, 2015 at 02:36 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

January 12, 2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Thanks but he doesn't have anything I can sue him for. We checked. He has half a house but since his other whatever owns half he can't be sued, even for just his half. He did stop at he scene but it not like he takes responsibility. His lawyer pled him no guilty but after the helmet cam footage the judge just looked at him like "Boy! Are you out of your mind?!".

He has a history of speeding and running stop signs. I was hoping the fact he finally hit someone would actually slow him down (or, preferably, get him off the road) making the rest of us safer.

And yes, he was under-insured.

FWIW, did you write a victim impact statement to the Judge and Commissioner of the MVA pleading your position to have his license and driving privileges permanently revoked?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)

January 12, 2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
FWIW, did you write a victim impact statement to the Judge and Commissioner of the MVA pleading your position to have his license and driving privileges permanently revoked?
Nope. I was on Dilaudid too f*ck*d up to think of it and nobody else said anything. The people that were supposed to be looking out for me seriously fell down on the job.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; January 12, 2015 at 02:40 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 02:35 PM

Just a guess but, maybe keep tabs on the guy and maybe in the future he will inherit $ or something and then assuming you're within statute of limitations, sue him then.

Sorta same logic as the kids suing they're molester after he won the lottery.

I dunno man.. what a shitty story..
Unread
  (#13)

January 12, 2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Just a guess but, maybe keep tabs on the guy and maybe in the future he will inherit $ or something and then assuming you're within statute of limitations, sue him then.

Sorta same logic as the kids suing they're molester after he won the lottery.

I dunno man.. what a shitty story..
Again, subrogation. If I take the insurance money I can't sue him. Period.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a way to get more info about this guy. Points on his license, etc.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; January 12, 2015 at 02:42 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 02:41 PM

Oh I didn't understand that UIM coverage - from your policy prevented you from taking him to court.

That's a pile of crap.
Unread
  (#15)

January 12, 2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Oh I didn't understand that UIM coverage - from your policy prevented you from taking him to court.

That's a pile of crap.
It doesn't. Subrogation does. It basically means that to get the insurance money I have to give them my right to sue. Then they can sue him.

Yes it is crap. If he had to pay my related medical bills and pay me a percentage of all his earnings for the rest of my life then he might stop running stop signs.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; January 12, 2015 at 02:50 PM..