DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
3 members and 527 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, shiphteey
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Car People - Need a good Restoration/Body Shop for my '69 Pontiac *Pics of my baby*
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Smile Car People - Need a good Restoration/Body Shop for my '69 Pontiac *Pics of my baby* - May 1, 2007, 11:00 AM

Background

Well I guess it’s that time. My parents are selling their house and it’s forcing my hand at finely working toward getting my 1969 Pontiac Tempest Custom S back on the road. It was towed from their house in New Hampshire yesterday (see pics below) to my buddy’s shop to get it running and she obviously needs some TLC.

She’s been in the family since 1969 and I saved her from being sold for scrap metal back in ’86 when she was in need of some loving. I guess I was a wise beyond my years at age 12. I had a tantrum when my old man had put it up for sale out front of the house for a $1,000. My father listened to the reasoning of a 12 year old and for some odd reason took my advice and we put it back in the garage for three years until I was learning to drive. Then we thankfully we were able to recondition the car to an extremely respectable level, while keeping the budget exceptionally reasonable back in 1990. And on my 16th birthday he turned the keys over to me… yes he’s definitely not a sane man but an extremely generous one.

In 1992 she turned a 14.8 ET at 91 mph with 188,000 miles on the clock with no engine work (everything original except 4bbl and duals – the motor had not rebuilt at that point) and beat the old man’s mustang two out of three races at New England Dragway. Not bad for a car that originally was purchased as an "economy" car with a 350 V-8.

To go even further back, the car still had its new car smell and was being broken-in when it was carting around my mother who was pregnant with my older brother who is now 38 years old, not to mention it carried her to the hospital when she had me. Lots of nostalgia with this one.

Sadly she had to be parked when I moved down here and the snow and salt from up north has taken its toll. I kept her running for my first three years down here but it became too much and she was parked on a cement driveway about five years ago. Now comes the restoration and/or reconditioning… and where some of you may come in.

Shop Needed

I’m looking for a shop that is extremely capable for frame-off restorations. I may not be doing the full frame-off right now… but I’m looking to get her as a street worthy driver until I can get my finances caught up with my dreams. But if you know of any shops that specialize in restorations of good old American classic muscle… please let me know as I might be doing this down here rather than up north. It does not have to be local… but within reason in order to keep up with the progress.

Take a look, thanks for any leads, and wish me luck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0117sm.JPG (75.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0124sm.JPG (79.9 KB, 68 views)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HUD750 Send a message via MSN to HUD750  
Unread
  (#2)
Retired to most ...

May 1, 2007, 11:02 AM

I know the PERFECT guy to send you to. PM me your contact info and I'll get you his when I see him.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#3)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 1, 2007, 12:02 PM

A friend of mine does this. Here are two cars he's done (and his kid, btw).
PM me and I'll send you contact info.
He lives down by Lynchburg/Roanoke, though, in Bedford.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

May 1, 2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the referrals. PM's have been sent.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HUD750 Send a message via MSN to HUD750  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 1, 2007, 01:05 PM

Nice car! Good luck with the restoration.

Reminds me of the courtroom scene in My Cousin Vinny, though.

Quote:
Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

May 1, 2007, 01:30 PM

Gotta love Marisa Tomei! Or in this case, Ms. Mona Lisa Vito!