DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
5 members and 530 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cash Back Credit Cards
Unread
  (#1)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

Cash Back Credit Cards - July 21, 2012, 11:23 PM

I'm looking to ditch my current Mastercard (MC) credit card. I want something better than the lame "Citi Extra Cash" program that requires you to buy your rewards through 3rd parties. Its total BS and I've had enough. I want the cashback in cash.

So I google a string like.... "Best Cash Back Credit Cards" and get this article from Forbes...

The Best Cash Back Credit Cards, May 2012 - Forbes

The two biggest purchase categories for me month to month are almost always gasoline & food. So thinking the Amer Express Blue Cash Everyday Card might be the best fit. I've got no patience to play a revolving rewards categories game or an annual fee... which this CC avoids.

I have always had Visa or Mastercards. Any downsides of an Amer Express card vs a Visa or Mastercard?

My spending habits... I have just one CC now.... a no fee MasterCard that is paid in full every month, I do not carry a balance.

When you carry a balance you are living beyond your means. Anyone else have a better idea on a cash back credit card?

Whoa..... my post # is at 666. Me being an atheist I may avoid posting for awhile to keep that number. May have to open an alias account.

Last edited by morsetaper2; July 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

July 22, 2012, 12:01 AM

chase amex and disc

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

July 22, 2012, 12:30 AM

There's tons of cards out there these days. I'm personally not a huge fan of Amex because of their fees and the fact that some places don't even take them. Visa and MC has never let me down though.

This site has pretty decent info even though its probably sponsored by the credit card companies. They sometimes have special offers, just make sure to read the fine print. Hope this helped!

Credit Cards - Compare Credit Card Offers at CreditCards.com
Unread
  (#4)
Im Always Down to Ride

July 22, 2012, 06:31 AM

I say used Google advisor and find a card that way. That is how I found my Citi platinum with cash back and no interest for 18 months. Also 12 months no interest on balance transfers

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#5)
EFI - 07/C2

July 22, 2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
The two biggest purchase categories for me month to month are almost always gasoline & food. So thinking the Amer Express Blue Cash Everyday Card might be the best fit. I've got no patience to play a revolving rewards categories game or an annual fee... which this CC avoids.

I have always had Visa or Mastercards. Any downsides of an Amer Express card vs a Visa or Mastercard?
This is the card that I have. I love it. Check first to see if your grocery store accepts AmEx - mine didn't until recently. Sheetz, Liberty, and Flying J also accept it, and that's where I buy my gas.

I pay the $75/year to get the higher-tier cash back. I ran the numbers based on last year's spending and it was a no-brainer.

If you decide you want it PM me your name and email address so I can refer you. I get $75, you get $150, in extra cash back.

I also have a MC as backup because not every store takes AmEx since they typically have higher swipe fees.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 22, 2012, 08:27 AM

We use bank of americas cash back card, we always pay it off each month so we weren't interested in 'rates'.

We get 5% on gas, and 4/3/2/1% on other items. We've had it for less than a year and have made over $1000 in 'cash back', plus they give you an additional 10% if you deposit it in to your bank account.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 22, 2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
This is the card that I have. I love it. Check first to see if your grocery store accepts AmEx - mine didn't until recently. Sheetz, Liberty, and Flying J also accept it, and that's where I buy my gas.

Wondering who is most likely to not accept AmEx? Small businesses?
The majority of my CC Purchases occur at these businesses:

Gas: Liberty, 7-11, Exxon
Food: Giant, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Trader Joes
Dept Stores: Macys, JC Penny, Sears, REI

and of course lots of other expenditures from a variety of merchants that would fall under the 1% category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If you decide you want it PM me your name and email address so I can refer you. I get $75, you get $150, in extra cash back.
I also have a MC as backup because not every store takes AmEx since they typically have higher swipe fees.

Sorry, but my neighbor beat you to that request.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 22, 2012, 05:28 PM

It's 2012.

They all suck these days. They either give you a tiny %, or make you just through hoops.

Who wants 5% back from Shell gas stations? Not me. I'll just go to Sheetz or Wawa where gas prices are 10% cheaper without any discounts.

You can go to fatwallet.com -> Finance section to see what is out there today, but it ain't much... at least compared to a few years ago.
Unread
  (#9)
EFI - 07/C2

July 23, 2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Wondering who is most likely to not accept AmEx? Small businesses?
The majority of my CC Purchases occur at these businesses:

Gas: Liberty, 7-11, Exxon
Food: Giant, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Trader Joes
Dept Stores: Macys, JC Penny, Sears, REI

and of course lots of other expenditures from a variety of merchants that would fall under the 1% category.

Sorry, but my neighbor beat you to that request.
Liberty gas, Giant (Martin's for me), and Macy's take AmEx.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
Unread
  (#10)
Site Owner

July 23, 2012, 09:10 AM

Amex preferred. I get tons of cash back which more than outweighs the 75$ years fee. 6% groceries, 3% gas and 1% everything else.

And pretty much everyone Takes Amex these days. The only place I have issues are small mom and pop restaurants.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

July 23, 2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Amex preferred. I get tons of cash back which more than outweighs the 75$ years fee. 6% groceries, 3% gas and 1% everything else.

And pretty much everyone Takes Amex these days. The only place I have issues are small mom and pop restaurants.
Yeah places like Pho 75 is where your going to run into a issue with Amex.
Unread
  (#12)
2 wheels for life

July 23, 2012, 09:51 AM

the pho place in Arlington takes cash

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

July 23, 2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Whoa..... my post # is at 666. Me being an atheist I may avoid posting for awhile to keep that number. May have to open an alias account.
If you are an atheist, then why does that number mean anything to you?

I got a AAA Visa a loooong time ago, and it gives cash back in the form of account credit every month on gasoline purchases. I think it's 4%, but I would have to double check. So I carry that for gas, and an amazon rewards Visa for everything else. I think for every $2500 I charge on the amazon card, I get $25 credit at amazon.com. It adds up over time.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
Gone with the wind....

July 23, 2012, 10:44 AM

I have a BOA Visa rewards card. It offers percentages for gas, food, and everything else. You can get additional $75 reward for any rewards cashed in for $300 or more into your savings or checkings.

In additiona to the Visa rewards, they also just started a new cash back program for B&M select retailers and restaurants. I just did the $15 Kohls cash back for a $75 purchase. As well as, the Add it Up for online vendors.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Ride In Paradise Tree and Mz Nez

Last edited by Sassygurl; July 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM..