DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 585
4 members and 581 guests
davidcycle, Diggy, legendindisguise, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
caught "texting while driving" in virginia
Unread
  (#1)
just some dude

caught "texting while driving" in virginia - July 8, 2013, 07:28 AM

I was on my way to Lake Rawlings this past Friday, and was trying to find a grocery store on my Iphone's map while driving on I-85. A state trooper came up on my left pretty fast and almost passed me, saw me on the phone, slowed and got behind me to pull me over. I got a ticket for "texting while driving."

The funny thing is that he said if I looked up the law it includes any use of a mobile device while driving. At the time I took his word for it, but I just now looked up the law and he's wrong. It's very, very specific on what's prohibited:
1. Manually enter multiple letters or text in the device as a means of communicating with another person; or
2. Read any email or text message transmitted to the device or stored within the device, provided that this prohibition shall not apply to any name or number stored within the device nor to any caller identification information.

The law: LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-1078.1

It's a $125 ticket. I feel like going down to fight it, but I can't spare the vacation day. According to the law, I can manually enter text into a gps device, or even enter text into my mobile phone's gps, but I cannot text while driving. Apparently some cops are ignorant of the law they're enforcing.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

July 8, 2013, 07:35 AM

fight that ish! Teach them!

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 8, 2013, 07:45 AM

I'd fight it. Strictly on the principle if nothing else. Then again... I do get pretty pissed off when I'm riding and I see people on their phones and not paying attention to shit. Could they ticket you if you pull over to do your GPS'ing?

Last edited by Germcati; July 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Track Day addict

July 8, 2013, 07:56 AM

If it is a moving violation, it could mean higher insurance costs. Even if your rates don't go up much now, they could skyrocket if you get another ticket. Fight it, or at least contact a lawyer. If you have a lawyer, they might be able to get this dropped / reduced to no points without you even having to show up in court. The cost of a lawyer to help you fight this is a lot cheaper than what you insurance costs will go up if your insurance company gets wind of it.

If it is no points, and you are sure your insurance company isn't going to ding you for it, then it is probably easier to just pay up. Good luck.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#5)
turn or crash....

July 8, 2013, 07:57 AM

Pretty stupid law. How can they tell what you were doing. They should rewrite it to include any use while driving.

That said you would have a good shot to win as is, but you made a point.. is it worth a vacation day and the risk you lose anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post

If it is no points, and you are sure your insurance company isn't going to ding you for it, then it is probably easier to just pay up. Good luck.
and this is about right

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX

Last edited by djkouza; July 8, 2013 at 07:59 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

July 8, 2013, 08:01 AM

Yeah, the law is useless as is. They need to rewrite it to make it so you can't use any handheld device while driving.

Unless its your penis, in which case that should be fine.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
whoa preppy......

July 8, 2013, 08:02 AM

Seatbelt violations are not moving but affect premiums. I wonder if insurance companies will classify these are the same.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Typical Stripper

July 8, 2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Seatbelt violations are not moving but affect premiums. I wonder if insurance companies will classify these are the same.
If they do I would absolutely fight it.

Virginia?s new texting-while-driving law contains loophole - Washington Post

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
i suck at the introweb

July 8, 2013, 08:22 AM

Well, the law is the law. Only thing is can you prove that your were abiding by it? Did you inform the officer of your activity? Bring a copy of the law and repeat it to the court verbatim. Then question the officer on if you did or didn't inform him of your activities. He must answer truthfully. Remember you must be proven guilty without any reasonable doubt. All you have to do is prove there is doubt on your activities and the stated law will be on your side. A lot of crappy laws like cell phone use is written so there will be a loop hole for the people who wrote them in case they are charged themselves.

Some states like NJ have the laws stated has no hand held device use period, but ends up hindering many people. For example a case in NJ with someone using a CB radio, its a hand held device the ticket stands even if its part of your job, i.e. truck drivers and caravans.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

July 8, 2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
Well, the law is the law. Only thing is can you prove that your were abiding by it? Did you inform the officer of your activity? Bring a copy of the law and repeat it to the court verbatim. Then question the officer on if you did or didn't inform him of your activities. He must answer truthfully. Remember you must be proven guilty without any reasonable doubt. All you have to do is prove there is doubt on your activities and the stated law will be on your side. A lot of crappy laws like cell phone use is written so there will be a loop hole for the people who wrote them in case they are charged themselves.

Some states like NJ have the laws stated has no hand held device use period, but ends up hindering many people. For example a case in NJ with someone using a CB radio, its a hand held device the ticket stands even if its part of your job, i.e. truck drivers and caravans.
You can add to this by bringing your cell phone text log.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
just some dude

July 8, 2013, 08:27 AM

can someone with state farm insurance call up their agent and ask if a "texting while driving" violation will increase their premium? i don't want mine getting suspicious and checking my record after i ask.

2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#12)
just some dude

July 8, 2013, 08:40 AM

The court date is on a Thursday. I may try to work up some flex/comp time and take Thursday off to head down there and also visit Lake Rawlings again, that'll make the trip worth it.

Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 8, 2013, 08:49 AM

So your one of those people that think you can use a device and get away with it? Ironic that a biker gets nailed for a law that would help out bikers.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
Site Owner

July 8, 2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
So your one of those people that think you can use a device and get away with it? Ironic that a biker gets nailed for a law that would help out bikers.
No, he's one of those people that got wrongfully charged in Virginia for something they didn't do.

The law says you cannot text and drive. It doesn't say anything about entering addresses into google maps and driving, which is what he was doing.

Granted, the law is dumb the way it is written. It should be rewritten to include all non-hands-free cell phone use (including entering addresses).

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#15)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

July 8, 2013, 08:55 AM

how does one prove he was using the phone's gps/mapping system? I am not familiar with this and hope some one in the field can chime in

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond