DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 521
2 members and 519 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
CB QUESTION???
Unread
  (#1)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
CB QUESTION??? - November 26, 2007, 01:30 PM

Ok so I have a CB I was planning on installing in my 04 Ram. I have 5% tint all the way around my truck and a few people I have talked to have said that the antenna wont read through the tint. The antenna I have in not a magnetic one....It looks just like a longer cellular phone antenna and mount to the outside window and the cable and othe half of the transmitter are on the inside.

So my question from anyone that does have one like this or any that knows about it......WILL THE ANTENNA BE ABLE TO READ THROUGH THE TINT/GLASS?? I really want to install this, but I dont want to waste my time if its not going to read/send a signal through the glass/tint.

Any help would be awesome.

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

November 26, 2007, 01:42 PM

That short of an antenna isnt gouing to give you much range at all.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

November 26, 2007, 02:04 PM

Your comment says "The antenna I have in not a magnetic one....It looks just like a longer cellular phone antenna and mount to the outside window...". If the antenna is on the outside of the window, the tint should not have any effect, as the signal will be collected externally and brought to the receiver via the cable. If the antenna is within the vehicle, however, the tinting could have an impact oif varying degrees, depending on whether or not the tint material is metallic, and how metallic, in nature. As mentioned above, reception is very dependent on proper antenna size, but that can be deceptive...a meter long antenna can be coiled around a non-conducting (plastic) core and give the appearance of being much shorter. For the CB band, I think the full wave antenna is about 3-4 feet in length, but its been a while since I've dealt with that stuff.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)

November 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

my bad......the antenna is a 2 parter......the cable and transmitter box are mounted to the inside of the window and the antenna part mounts to the outside of the window. It is a BC antenna approx 4 ft long......the glass splits between the transmitter box and antenna. So I have to line them up when installing it.

The next thing is...if I cut out a small/medium sized square out of the tint and have the transmitter box and antenna covering it, where it looks like I never cut the tint, will that give me a better reception/signal out of it??

Unread
  (#5)

November 26, 2007, 02:11 PM

As mentioned above, reception is very dependent on proper antenna size, but that can be deceptive...a meter long antenna can be coiled around a non-conducting (plastic) core and give the appearance of being much shorter.

This is the exact one I have..........

Unread
  (#6)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 26, 2007, 02:18 PM

LoL, I currently am running a mobile setup that keys 50 rms watts and swings to 2000 peak. After I get my 2nd High Power alt.(Leece Deville), I will be trying go AC.

To answer your ?, a number of factors will determine that. One where the ant. is placed on the truck. The best possible place, is the center of the roof. Most area for ground-plane. The cheap ass ant. that you are refering to, will allow you to be able listen to up to 2-5 miles away, and further if its skip. But talking on it, is a whole different story, even with running alittle bit of heat(amp), and a tuned out radio, you still wont get out much more than a few miles.
Do such research before trying to tune the ant. and/or radio. My 2 ant. mounts were $60 a peace. My ant.'s alone were close to $150 a piece. Most watts I ever heard had running at one time, was close to 6000. Co-ax and other factors contribute to a clean sounding radio.
even though the federal law (FCC) states you can only run at the most 5 watts rms, 7 watts peak. There are plenty of people in and around Watergate City that talk on big setups.... WvGodFather 808 just got DOWN!

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#7)

November 26, 2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvGoDFather
LoL, I currently am running a mobile setup that keys 50 rms watts and swings to 2000 peak. After I get my 2nd High Power alt.(Leece Deville), I will be trying go AC.

To answer your ?, a number of factors will determine that. One where the ant. is placed on the truck. The best possible place, is the center of the roof. Most area for ground-plane. The cheap ass ant. that you are refering to, will allow you to be able listen to up to 2-5 miles away, and further if its skip. But talking on it, is a whole different story, even with running alittle bit of heat(amp), and a tuned out radio, you still wont get out much more than a few miles.
Do such research before trying to tune the ant. and/or radio. My 2 ant. mounts were $60 a peace. My ant.'s alone were close to $150 a piece. Most watts I ever heard had running at one time, was close to 6000. Co-ax and other factors contribute to a clean sounding radio.
even though the federal law (FCC) states you can only run at the most 5 watts rms, 7 watts peak. There are plenty of people in and around Watergate City that talk on big setups.... WvGodFather 808 just got DOWN!

Yeah I know the best place is the center of the roof...but im trying to keep the clean look on it and make it seems as though it belongs there.

2-5 miles is pretty good in my book...im not trying to talk to anyone on the moon

The antenna Im looking at in 50 bucks...... it looks like a cell phone antenna, but is made for the CB.....and is approx. 4 ft in length. So what the hell else would I need to up the amps for further signal or stronger signal???

Unread
  (#8)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 26, 2007, 02:29 PM

Look near a corner of a window for words that mean "sun", relate to sun, or refer to ultraviolet or other forms of radiation. If you find terms like "Soft-Ray", "EZE-Cool", "Solar-Coat", "Solar-Cool" or similar terms, your glass is probably passivated and wonít work with on-glass antennas. If you want to be 100% certain, and you donít find helpful words on the glass, ask a 2-way or cellular shop technician to test your glass with a capacitance meter.
http://radioproshop.com/antennafaq.htm

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

November 26, 2007, 02:33 PM

The next thing is...if I cut out a small/medium sized square out of the tint and have the transmitter box and antenna covering it, where it looks like I never cut the tint, will that give me a better reception/signal out of it??

Yes, that will probably help a lot, but no guarantees. Get rid of the tint, then clean the spot well with alcohol. As for power, you'd need to put some kind of an amplifier into the system to up the spec'd 5 watts. If you don't care about the distance, its probably not worth the expense and hassle.
Unread
  (#10)

November 26, 2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Look near a corner of a window for words that mean "sun", relate to sun, or refer to ultraviolet or other forms of radiation. If you find terms like "Soft-Ray", "EZE-Cool", "Solar-Coat", "Solar-Cool" or similar terms, your glass is probably passivated and wonít work with on-glass antennas. If you want to be 100% certain, and you donít find helpful words on the glass, ask a 2-way or cellular shop technician to test your glass with a capacitance meter.
http://radioproshop.com/antennafaq.htm
Ill check it out.....I have 5% aftermarket tint all the way around, but if I cut a square in the tint and have the transmitter covering it.....would it give me a better signal??

The back doors and back window had factory tint on them, but I have to look for the SUN............EZE-COOL............ or SOLAR COOL on it.

Unread
  (#11)

November 26, 2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitPig

Yes, that will probably help a lot, but no guarantees. Get rid of the tint, then clean the spot well with alcohol. As for power, you'd need to put some kind of an amplifier into the system to up the spec'd 5 watts. If you don't care about the distance, its probably not worth the expense and hassle.
Thanks man I appreciate the help

Unread
  (#12)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 26, 2007, 02:44 PM

Power is all about distance, and cutting some one off with less of it. With running a basic setup like you are attempting to do. You will more than likely get cut-off or "key-on". Which means your convo will be cut short or interrupted. When running heat, I can key over 5-7 channels up or down the band, taking anyone listening or talking out. Sounds like what your needing it for you might alright, but I would really suggest on you reading up and researching before your install. You can burn up your radio, ant., or both. If not setup correctly!
Reference some of these sites...
http://www.davemade.com Very popular amp/ant builder.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nonameamps/home.html The intro song to this site is done by PRIME Minister aka. Sir Mixx Alot. He has a base station keying over 50,000 watts and more. A rap song about CB talking...
One of the best places on the web for CB knowledge.
http://www.1stopelectronics.com/cb-amplifiers.html

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."

Last edited by WvGoDFather; November 26, 2007 at 02:51 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#13)

November 26, 2007, 02:49 PM

thanks guys

Unread
  (#14)
Railing!

Question November 26, 2007, 05:33 PM

"Power is all about distance, and cutting some one off with less of it. With running a basic setup like you are attempting to do. You will more than likely get cut-off or "key-on". Which means your convo will be cut short or interrupted. When running heat, I can key over 5-7 channels up or down the band, taking anyone listening or talking out."

Of course, then you become the guy cutting out all the other "legal" 5 watt guys...the "jammer", in effect. It's the classic offense-defense conundrum....
Unread
  (#15)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitPig
"Power is all about distance, and cutting some one off with less of it. With running a basic setup like you are attempting to do. You will more than likely get cut-off or "key-on". Which means your convo will be cut short or interrupted. When running heat, I can key over 5-7 channels up or down the band, taking anyone listening or talking out."

Of course, then you become the guy cutting out all the other "legal" 5 watt guys...the "jammer", in effect. It's the classic offense-defense conundrum....
YEAP!