DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 514
3 members and 511 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
CD/DVD printer
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

CD/DVD printer - August 12, 2010, 08:12 AM

Wifes photography business is taking off, and at the time all we have are labels to print on and stick on the DVD's however these wont hold up in the long run, and dont like the pocket style readers (Ive heard eventually it will peal off the label and cause a mess). Plus they just dont look as nice.

So, anyone have experience with CD/DVD printers? Not looking to spend a ton here, so Im trying to keep it at or under $300.

Ive seen a few Epsons multi function printers, which is a shame cause we have a really nice photo printer already.

Thoughts on going with a dedicated CD/DVD printer vs multifunction?

Cnet has been of little help and google hasnt really pointed me in the right direction. And going to Staples will only net me a 17 year old who can point at the printer with the most stickers on it.

Appreciate the input.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

August 12, 2010, 08:22 AM

LightScribe

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

August 12, 2010, 08:26 AM

We used one at my old job. I'm trying to think of the name of it. It used special CD's that had printable/writable tops to them.

The name's escaping me right now....

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

August 12, 2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
Damn thats some pricey shit and not sure if its good for printing/etching color photos on disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post
We used one at my old job. I'm trying to think of the name of it. It used special CD's that had printable/writable tops to them.

The name's escaping me right now....
So what you're saying is you can point at stuff?

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#5)
TPG og

August 12, 2010, 09:06 AM

Yeah those stick on dvd/cd covers suck. Sometimes they don't play in certain drives and they look amatuerish.

Here's one with good reviews
Amazon.com: Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer (C11CA45201): Computer &… Amazon.com: Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer (C11CA45201): Computer &…
Amazon.com: Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer (C11CA45201): Computer &…Amazon.com: Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer (C11CA45201): Computer &…

$100.... Epson printers are hit and miss though, there's also
Amazon.com: HP Photosmart D7560 Printer: Computer & Accessories Amazon.com: HP Photosmart D7560 Printer: Computer & Accessories
Amazon.com: HP Photosmart D7560 Printer: Computer & AccessoriesAmazon.com: HP Photosmart D7560 Printer: Computer & Accessories

Based on the brand (HP) I'd recommend that over the Epson.

Both have generic ink and refills available, and the printable DVDs are about $20 for 100. Something to factor in when looking at expenses.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#6)
Elite Racing

August 12, 2010, 09:19 AM

Got it....we used the HP D5160. Quick search revealed these may be a few years old, so it may be tough to find one.

Once it's calibrated, it produces great quality stuff.

Amazon.com: HP D5160 Photosmart Printer: Electronics Amazon.com: HP D5160 Photosmart Printer: Electronics
Amazon.com: HP D5160 Photosmart Printer: ElectronicsAmazon.com: HP D5160 Photosmart Printer: Electronics

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Warming up the tires

August 12, 2010, 09:47 AM

I have a 4 year old Canon Pixma MP500 that does this. The only catch is the US version does NOT support it. I found an online article that told me how to change the configuration settings (to Australia). Once that was done, I purchased the CD/DVD tray and can print directly on the printable CD/DVDs.

I don't know why Canon choose to disable this function on the US version of the printer.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

August 12, 2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4fun View Post
I have a 4 year old Canon Pixma MP500 that does this. The only catch is the US version does NOT support it. I found an online article that told me how to change the configuration settings (to Australia). Once that was done, I purchased the CD/DVD tray and can print directly on the printable CD/DVDs.

I don't know why Canon choose to disable this function on the US version of the printer.
Market/product control = more $$$$. Why are same versions of textbooks cheaper overseas.... why dod DVDs have "regions" so you can't watch imports. Its all about control. Thank God for the interwebz, blowing holes int their business models!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

August 12, 2010, 10:20 AM

Thanks all, guess its just a matter of picking up a off the shelf multi printer with the capabilities.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!