DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 594
2 members and 592 guests
davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Check us out
Unread
  (#1)
Addicted to farm animals

Check us out - April 26, 2006, 01:21 PM

Yesterday I was on the front page (and page A12) of the Washington Post and tomorrow morning I am being interviewed by The Today Show. Imagine that crap. It will air between 7 and 8 a.m. You should check it out.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#2)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

April 26, 2006, 01:23 PM

Did you come out of the closet finally?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#3)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 26, 2006, 01:24 PM

can i get a little back info? but good job anyways!

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#4)
Addicted to farm animals

April 26, 2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Did you come out of the closet finally?

Nope just out of the hills

Unread
  (#5)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

April 26, 2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TricknR1
Nope just out of the hills
I bet the farm anilmals are happy.

SO what is the story about?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#6)
Addicted to farm animals

April 26, 2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
can i get a little back info? but good job anyways!

They are doing a segment on long commutes and I travel 2 hours one way to work.

Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

April 26, 2006, 01:50 PM

dis yer story?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fairf...d_through.html

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

April 26, 2006, 02:01 PM

wait do u ride in a mini van Trickin??
Quote:
The day's driver gets behind the wheel of the van, a nine-year-old Dodge, seven others pile in behind him, and by 4 they're headed up Route 340, the moon still a sharp white wedge and 77 miles of road ahead.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#9)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

April 26, 2006, 02:25 PM

Ties to Far-Flung Homes Drive Commuters to Great Lengths

By Alec MacGillis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 25, 2006; Page A01
The mountains -- Blue Ridge to the east, Massanutten to the west -- loom over Luray, Va., but their outlines are barely visible in the dark as the men gather in the park-and-ride at 3:50 a.m. The day's driver gets behind the wheel of the van, a nine-year-old Dodge, seven others pile in behind him, and by 4 they're headed up Route 340, the moon still a sharp white wedge and 77 miles of road ahead.
"I don't even know if the deer get up this early," says Jay Lang, peering into the black from the van's middle row.

Before their 6 a.m. shift, Steve Wright takes a quick nap next to Sam dean in the George Mason University carpentry shop. (Tracy A. Woodward - The Washington Post)

Graphic

Long Ride

Blog

The Washington Post's Richmond bureau blogs on legislative tidbits, transition speculation and political news nuggets. The Richmond Report

Virginia Politics Full Coverage

var technorati = new Technorati() ;technorati.setProperty('url','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/24/AR2006042401872_Technorati.html') ;technorati.article = new item('Ties to Far-Flung Homes Drive Commuters to Great Lengths','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/24/AR2006042401872.html','The mountains -- Blue Ridge to the east, Massanutten to the west -- loom over Luray, Va., but their outlines are barely visible in the dark as the men gather in the park-and-ride at 3:50 a.m. The day\'s driver gets behind the wheel of the van, a nine-year-old Dodge, seven others pile in behind him,...','Alec MacGillis') ;document.write( technorati.getDisplaySidebar() );
Who's Blogging?

Read what bloggers are saying about this article.#technorati_link a {color:#339900;} Full List of Blogs (10 links)

Most Blogged About Articles
#technorati_link a {color:#339900;} On washingtonpost.com | On the web

#delicious_display {display:none ;color:#333333 ;background-color:#EEEEEE ;padding:4px ;padding-top:0px ;border:1px dotted #0D3159 ;}
Save & Share
Saving options
1. Save to description:
Headline (required)
Byline

2. Save to notes (255 character max):
Blurb

3. Tag This Article

setTimeout('update_delicious_form(delicious_cookie )',1)It has come to this in the Washington region, where an imbalance of housing and jobs produces commutes that stagger the imagination and confound the biological clock: Every weekday, seven vans set off from Luray and six other far-flung locations with 55 passengers bound for a single workplace: the physical plant shop at George Mason University in Fairfax. The college looks so far afield for carpenters and electricians that it has started letting workers use campus vans for the commute.
The 10-seater vans converge from Front Royal, Winchester and Warrenton to the west, Fredericksburg to the south and Fort Washington and Indian Head to the east. The Luray crowd drives the farthest, from the far side of Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah cavern country -- 90 minutes if the weather and traffic cooperate, double that if they don't. Just getting to the park-and-ride means a 25-mile drive for one of the workers, who wakes up at 2:45 a.m. to make it.
George Mason's predawn van pools may seem like just another example of the extreme commutes in a region where roads are illuminated with brake lights well before sunbeams, but they challenge the assumptions behind the trend. The conventional explanation is that people are moving farther out for tranquility and more affordable homes and paying for them with a long commute.
The Luray riders serve as a reminder that there is another dynamic. They are not exurban wanderers but people with lives deeply rooted in towns far away who would have nothing to do with the Washington area if not for this: It's the only place they can find work.
For these workers, the area's boom is a lifesaver, providing jobs at, for example, an expanding university such as George Mason. But there's a steep cost, in the form of a daily schedule that could put a dairy farmer to shame.
"You never really get used to it," says George Mason's carpentry shop supervisor, Sam Dean, who drives the 25 miles from Elkton to meet the van in Luray. "But you go where the money is."
In this case, the goal is a salary of about $33,000 for most of the van's riders, who are all in their thirties and whose work includes patching dorm walls kicked in by drunk students and building oak newspaper racks for the student union. The pay is half of what Fairfax officials report as the minimum needed for a family to get by in the county, but university officials say that is all George Mason can afford.
Providing the vans, along with gas money, is a way to ease the burden, university officials say. Other employers in the area assist workers who have long commutes. The Montgomery County school system, for example, provides bus drivers living in West Virginia with a bus that shuttles them to the school bus depot in Shady Grove. But few have gone to such lengths as George Mason, which is considering adding more vans to the effort.
"The state doesn't pay that well, and this is one way for us to get skilled people who live in the more rural areas to come to work for us," said Larry Spaine, director of the university's physical plant. "They're top-of-the-line guys, and they're dependable. When we get a snow day, they come down from the mountain to help us push the snow."
The pay at George Mason is lower than what six of the men from the Luray van made at their previous jobs, working the presses at a printing plant in Luray. But the plant was shuttered when the company was sold in 2003, leaving 125 workers jobless. That followed the closure of two local jeans factories that employed 600, including one of the van's riders.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#10)
DT
Yesssssss.....

April 26, 2006, 04:04 PM

Christ - this area is ridiculous...

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#11)
nO loNGeR E-tHugGiN'

April 26, 2006, 04:47 PM

NOVA traffic, commutes, and housing prices suck so much a$$.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Addicted to farm animals

April 27, 2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud

Thats us.

Unread
  (#13)
Addicted to farm animals

April 27, 2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArRrR6
wait do u ride in a mini van Trickin??

No man it's a big green Dodge with state tags.

Unread
  (#14)
Addicted to farm animals

April 27, 2006, 05:13 AM

Check us out this morning on The Today Show

Unread
  (#15)
> 6'3" need not apply!

April 27, 2006, 06:53 AM

WOW! That's incredible! I guess I have nothing to complain about anymore!

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Send a message via AIM to