DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
4 members and 554 guests
GRN96WS6, HotRod1200, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Childcare, Aupare, Nannyshare - Exciting stuff
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Childcare, Aupare, Nannyshare - Exciting stuff - July 16, 2013, 06:37 AM

Who has experience with what?

Childcare is expensive bottomline.

I think this new house we're real close to acquiring has a finished basement with what could be an aupair suite. I have some family who did that and liked it alot. Super flexible childcare.

Nanny share seems like it could be a good idea too.

And then there's just straight up daycare.

What do you guys do?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 16, 2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
Who has experience with what?

Childcare is expensive bottomline.

I think this new house we're real close to acquiring has a finished basement with what could be an aupair suite. I have some family who did that and liked it alot. Super flexible childcare.

Nanny share seems like it could be a good idea too.

And then there's just straight up daycare.

What do you guys do?
I got lucky. My wife's business allows her to stay home. We like daycare though, and ours is about to start preschool. Interaction with other children is important to us because ours is an only child

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Instructor

July 16, 2013, 08:27 AM

I'm really into the idea of an au pair. All the places we're looking at have an inlaw suite which would be perfect. My wife makes $85k working so staying home hits hard. Even if you go to the upper range of the weekly allowance (~$500) that's just 26,000 a year for one on one care.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

July 16, 2013, 09:18 AM

My mom watches my kids 3 days a week and we have a nanny the other two days. IMO opinion the one on one attention they receive is more important than getting socialized early on. My 4 year old started preschool last year and we were nervous that he would kick and scream. ha, 1st day he was like LATER dude and was fine.

That being said, they are both seemingly to the right of the curve on speaking, problem solving, reading etc.. but some of the coordination stuff, group work etc they are a little behind.

Dont forget, if you go au pair, you will probably want to buy a cheap, but running car. Part of the program is to let them experience the US, and they want to go explore. No way would i let them drive my nice cars.. haha

Lots of forums and sites dedicated to really know the deal.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 16, 2013, 09:32 AM

Can somebody throw down some likely costs for an au pair? Since there shouldn't be that much difference based in locality like the other options (ie Stafford vs Arlington)

And that Nanny Share sounds interesting too.

We personally had our boy watched by a home care lady (legit but at her home) and he loved her. But then he got older and started testing her too much since her strength and focus is on the really young ones. Babies and all. So at 7 or 8 the best option for before/after school care was at the martial arts joints.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#6)
running on liquid crazy.

July 16, 2013, 10:17 AM

As a mom, I just couldn't trust anyone else with my 5 month old, so I went with the KinderCare that my neighbor trusted and put their 2 kids in. Centers have strict guidelines and policies and are monitored. Even so, I still didn't trust a center at first- I would pop in randomly to see how my son was doing. Since he's an only child, I really wanted him to have the interaction with other kids. They have a curriculum so it's like pre-preschool. He's only 21 months but he know some colors, can count to 10, knows some shapes and says a lot of words. And, yes, $300/wk is expensive to me. But then when I think that my son is there 5 days a week for over 8 hours a day, $60 a day for the good food he is fed and the quality care he receives doesn't seem so expensive.

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 16, 2013, 10:46 AM

I just kept knocking up my wife till it was cheaper for her just to stay at home and raise my kids!

But really having her at home with the kids has been awesome. When the little one goes to 1st grade in a couple years she will go back to work.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 16, 2013, 11:06 AM

I grew up with au-pairs, some are like aunts to this day, some stole stuff and ran away, some get homesick and want to leave, but all and all it's been a great experience. I even had a couple of really hot ones (bonus).

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#9)
RIP Jeff Vega

July 16, 2013, 02:32 PM

You rich azz MFr's....au pare DEEZ!!!

WTF is wrong with a daycare...you dam "elitist" in Bethesda!!!
Unread
  (#10)
Instructor

July 16, 2013, 02:34 PM

Au Pair can be cheaper than a daycare, gives one on one attention and brings a unique cultural aspect into a childs life. It's also a great method of expanding your own world view.

Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 16, 2013, 03:55 PM

Yea Brian. Only looking at aupair because daycare is like 2k in some places. Can't swing that. Aupair in america is like 12-1500. plus that other stuff mentioned like car, etc.

Last edited by Macon663; July 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
RIP Jeff Vega

July 16, 2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
Yea Brian. Only looking at aupair because daycare is like 2k in some places. Can't swing that. Aupair in america is like 12-1500. plus that other stuff mentioned like car, etc.
You know I'm not serious man. $2k/month is ALOT. Glad I live up here, I thought $800/month was bad.

I would argue that an aupair costs you more than that. You need to supply a separate living quarters for them right? What could you rent that same space for each month for other rental income? I bet more than $800/month....

Then you have to supply a running car? $3k up front costs? What about insurance? Maintenance? Repairs? Sure you can sell it in a year or 2 but you weight the options.
Unread
  (#13)
and lime

July 16, 2013, 06:16 PM

Unless you have more than one kid, an au-paire isn't the bargain it seems. Also, its not as flexible as you might think. They have their work hours (8 hours) and if you want them to stay late/weekends, you have to pay them per hour.

Personally, I am not so comfortable with my kid in a home (even mine) without other people around. Too many nanny abuse stories. True, most don't do anything, but its the few that do. I like having cameras and other parents and people around. Harder to hide things. Plus its good for kids to be around other kids. If they don't know how to deal with the herd when they start school, they are screwed. Not a lot of breaks given these days when a kid has separation anxiety at 5 or 6.
Unread
  (#14)
Instructor

July 16, 2013, 07:09 PM

I didn't see anything in the regs on the state department website that mentioned a requirement for having to buy them a house. You have to pay min wage ~200/week for up to 45 hours of work not to exceed 10 hours a day and provide up to $500 for their studies. You're also on the hook for meals at the house but adding one more mouth isn't that crazy.

Some of the daycares up here are going for $100+ a day. An Au Pair is a huge bargain at that rate even assuming that I rent out the room for $500/month. There are certainly some trust issues- but that applies to letting anyone into your home.