DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
2 members and 547 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cicada Killer Wasp Infestation In Your Lawn
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Cicada Killer Wasp Infestation In Your Lawn - July 12, 2011, 12:10 PM

Hey guys, before moving up here to VA I had never seen these flying beasts, then about a month ago they popped up out of nowhere and took over my front yard. The one animal I am near deathly afraid of is wasps (childhood trauma I guess) so at first it was very difficult for me to handle, I actually emptied an entire $4+ can of Raid Wasp Killer into one of their nest and lucky me the next morning their numbers seemed to triple.

So I started looking up this unknown beast of a wasp and was finally able to identify and learn about them a bit. Turns out they are some of the largest wasps around but they are basically completely harmless. The ones you see flying around your yard don't even have stingers at all. They also only hang around for around 2 months before moving on, but next year the cycle repeats itself and will only get worse if not addressed at some point. These are not standard angry wasps that build nests and will attack you if you come close or kill one of their buddies. These are subterranean solitary animals whose only purpose is for the males to fight each other and to find a nice little female to get it on with. The females are always away looking for Cicada (a type of grasshopper) to kill, bring home, and lay eggs in.

So I realized how docile they were and figured they are part of the ecosystem so let me leave them alone, and I wasn't afraid of them stinging me or my family and was even able to teach my son not to be afraid of bugs either. However I have a fairly small yard area and they were finally overtaking to the point of making it uncomfortable to get in or out of the car/house without worrying about them getting inside. So I had to take care of them today. I followed the ideas I got from this particularly informing web site (link below) and used the tennis racquet approach. It originally felt like there were at least 50 flying around, today I spent 30-40 minutes of very uncoordinated swinging and took out at least 15-20 of them, now the yard seems absolutely clear of them.

CLIFFNOTES...
So the point of this thread is to give you guys the following web site... Cicada Killer Control , to let you know that if you have an infestation the best approach is a tennis racquet and a steady hand , and to give you this picture so you can see how massive these things are (below). The animal above is a Cicada Killer Wasp curled up after death, when flying and stretched out it looks much bigger. And this is a male, the female is about 1.5-2 times larger. The one on the bottom is what a Cicada looks like. Very likely you've never seen them cause of their coloring and always in the trees/bushes, but their bellies are white btw. I got this one after killing a female who had just flown back to her hole in the ground carrying one of these big boys.

BTW, please tell me I'm not the only one in the area with this problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (519.6 KB, 131 views)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Got my Permit

July 12, 2011, 12:17 PM

Those little monsters almost had this tree hugger chem bomb his front yard until I read on the internets that those flying terror creatures don't bite humans.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 12, 2011, 12:39 PM

thats some alien shit! how are you gonna go find another insect kill it, bring it home, then use it as your surrogate mother to hatch your kids in?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 12, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyduc View Post
Those little monsters almost had this tree hugger chem bomb his front yard until I read on the internets that those flying terror creatures don't STING humans.
Fixed it for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79 View Post
thats some alien shit! how are you gonna go find another insect kill it, bring it home, then use it as your surrogate mother to hatch your kids in?
You wanna hear what's even more alien mayhem... They actually sting the Cicada to the point of paralysis but not death so the babies in it's belly can eat it ALIVE from the inside out when they hatch. SICK!
Unread
  (#5)
Road Kill

July 12, 2011, 12:57 PM

i used to poke a stick in the ground and grab the baseball bat for when they came out... it was a great time when i was a kid.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 12, 2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Fixed it for ya

You wanna hear what's even more alien mayhem... They actually sting the Cicada to the point of paralysis but not death so the babies in it's belly can eat it ALIVE from the inside out when they hatch. SICK!

Thats freaking awesome but in a sick way!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 12, 2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURACN View Post
i used to poke a stick in the ground and grab the baseball bat for when they came out... it was a great time when i was a kid.
I had a few splat on my when I was riding a few years ago! them fuckers hurt at high speeds and nasty when they explode on impact
Unread
  (#8)
Road Kill

July 12, 2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I had a few splat on my when I was riding a few years ago! them fuckers hurt at high speeds and nasty when they explode on impact
lol i know they hurt... hell they stung my wrists some times when you hit they wrong with the aluminum bat.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 12, 2011, 01:49 PM

Giant Boner-Inducing Spider Rampages in Supermarket

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

July 12, 2011, 02:00 PM

Well there's a headline you don't see every day.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 12, 2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Well there's a headline you don't see every day.
It's fucking epic.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#12)
Custom User Title

July 12, 2011, 03:24 PM

Cicada killers also like to destroy grass - they eat the roots from underneath. Another way to get rid of them is to put some netting where they burrow and pour hot water down the hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MrDan  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 12, 2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
That's how I gotz my second wife.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

July 13, 2011, 11:13 AM

Yesterday I took out almost 20 of them and thought that I'd cleared them all out. Then I went outside again this morning and saw two of them. Went back for my racquet and ended up taking out like 7-8 of them. Those things really do take over an area. I'm sure tomorrow there will be a few more as well. But at least it has revived my interest in tennis again

Anybody else have an infestation problem?