DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
1 members and 566 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Civil Asset Forfeiture
Unread
  (#1)
Sewing Machine Rider

Civil Asset Forfeiture - October 6, 2014, 10:37 AM

Another good reason that respect for authority in our country is crumbling
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

October 6, 2014, 11:24 AM

and this is why you dont answer questions..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

October 6, 2014, 11:40 AM

Yep. I've known about this screwball shit for years.
My cousin got taken down for $750 in Georgia in 2005. Pulled over for speeding which was legitimate.
Everything else was far from it. They took his money because a $50 bill in the bundle tested positive for Cocaine. Cops said if he wanted the money back he would have to prove it wasn't unlawful profits and to file with the courts.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

October 6, 2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Yep. I've known about this screwball shit for years.
My cousin got taken down for $750 in Georgia in 2005. Pulled over for speeding which was legitimate.
Everything else was far from it. They took his money because a $50 bill in the bundle tested positive for Cocaine. Cops said if he wanted the money back he would have to prove it wasn't unlawful profits and to file with the courts.
Thats pretty ridiculous considering like 90% of the bills in circulation have traces of cocaine on them.

90 percent of U.S. bills carry traces of cocaine - CNN.com

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

October 6, 2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
and this is why you dont answer questions..
Don't answer questions and they claim your refusal to respond and furtive disposition gave them "reasonable suspicion" to detain and search.

There's no way to win. It's all a trap.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

October 6, 2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Thats pretty ridiculous considering like 90% of the bills in circulation have traces of cocaine on them.

90 percent of U.S. bills carry traces of cocaine - CNN.com
Oh absolutely. It was a steaming crock of horseshit.

But when you're in Bubba country, Bubba gets to make the rules up as he goes along.

Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 6, 2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Oh absolutely. It was a steaming crock of horseshit.

But when you're in Bubba country, Bubba gets to make the rules up as he goes along.

Smaller and smaller video cameras are making that harder on bubba. They really should be mandated as wearable by most police forces.

And yeah, total BS.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
Track Day addict

October 6, 2014, 12:45 PM

Don't carry any significant quantities of cash if you can avoid it. Don't speed, drive recklessly, etc. if you are carrying a large quantity of cash.

It is totally wrong that they can keep your cash and you have to prove it wasn't received via criminal means instead of them proving that it was. It is one thing to confiscate a car and any money in that that car if it is actively used in a drug deal, bank robbery or other felony. Even in those cases, the car / money should be returned on a not - guilty or failure to prosecute. This is something totally different.

This really needs to be changed, but law enforcement has become dependent on this as a source of income. It is a mess.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#9)

October 6, 2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
Don't carry any significant quantities of cash if you can avoid it. Don't speed, drive recklessly, etc. if you are carrying a large quantity of cash.

It is totally wrong that they can keep your cash and you have to prove it wasn't received via criminal means instead of them proving that it was. It is one thing to confiscate a car and any money in that that car if it is actively used in a drug deal, bank robbery or other felony. Even in those cases, the car / money should be returned on a not - guilty or failure to prosecute. This is something totally different.

This really needs to be changed, but law enforcement has become dependent on this as a source of income. It is a mess.
I have to agree. Until it keeps making the news as a blatant money grab, you won't be changing most places that are doing this type of robbery. Sooner or later one of the expose' shows will do an episode revealing this as the serious over-reach it is. (And I understand it's intended function. But the application has far over-reached usefulness.)

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

October 6, 2014, 01:58 PM

Everything is a blatant money grab. I got a parking ticket in Baltimore on a meter I paid. Never got a chance to fight it in court. But last month got a notice from the DMV that my registration had been flagged ($30 fee you pay even if you go to court and win) and a letter from the city yesterday saying the fine is now $82 up from $50 and BTW that it's the final notice.
Yeah... $112+the meter. It's still cheaper AND easier to pay it than fight. There needs to be some kind of class action suit to make it worthwhile.
Unread
  (#11)

October 6, 2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
Everything is a blatant money grab. I got a parking ticket in Baltimore on a meter I paid. Never got a chance to fight it in court. But last month got a notice from the DMV that my registration had been flagged ($30 fee you pay even if you go to court and win) and a letter from the city yesterday saying the fine is now $82 up from $50 and BTW that it's the final notice.
Yeah... $112+the meter. It's still cheaper AND easier to pay it than fight. There needs to be some kind of class action suit to make it worthwhile.
Essentially a large nasty class action suit outside of the city in which it's happening. Otherwise it's not going to get dealt with properly. Too many times the local courts are essentially complicit and turn a blind eye.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 6, 2014, 02:29 PM

That's kinda the point. It's not worth it for any single person to fight and nothing short of revolution is going to change it. Anyone thinking revolution over $112? I think not. But the nickel and diming is infuriating.
Unread
  (#13)

October 6, 2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
That's kinda the point. It's not worth it for any single person to fight and nothing short of revolution is going to change it. Anyone thinking revolution over $112? I think not. But the nickel and diming is infuriating.
Which is exactly what drives people away from the cities. Only jobs keep them coming back.

Which reminds me, time to start looking again. Prep for the springtime rush....

Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

October 6, 2014, 03:05 PM

One would think this is where the State and then Federal DOJ should be stepping in ... you know, policing the individual jurisdictions in their state and when the State legal system fails in the duties to provide oversight, administer and control, the Federal comes in.

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

October 6, 2014, 03:13 PM

Why would they step in? It's not a pain point for them because everyone grumbles and pays it. There's no great public outcry and there won't be a great public outcry. No one case is ever big enough to make fuss over.