DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 516
2 members and 514 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Clarkson out, death of Top Gear?
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

Clarkson out, death of Top Gear? - March 25, 2015, 09:29 AM

Looks like its official;

BBC director-general Tony Hall said:

Please find below a statement from BBC Director-General, Tony Hall and investigation findings from Ken MacQuarrie.

It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

May and Hammond had already said they would not continue with out Clarkson, and we all know the abomination that was Top Gear US.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Commute racer

March 25, 2015, 09:33 AM

I heard rumor of a top gear clone with the original cast all moving over to Netflix.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 25, 2015, 09:40 AM

I've seen talk about Netflix too but it all seemed to be so speculative. It's as if so many people are saying it makes sense, that it has to be true. Have you seen a link to an article or something with solid information about that happening?
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 25, 2015, 09:46 AM

No clue what happend....is there another thread on the whole story or nah?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

March 25, 2015, 10:05 AM

BBC: Clarkson mounted unprovoked attack on Top Gear producer - live | Media | The Guardian

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

March 25, 2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoore View Post
I heard rumor of a top gear clone with the original cast all moving over to Netflix.
Wont happen. Top Gear was able to get manufactures to loan cars, and the budget they had only because the show was syndicated all over the world with over 350 million viewers each week. Netflix aint gonna be able to touch that.

Top Gear has BBC Top Gear, France Top Gear, websites, syndicated articles in papers and magazines, their own magazine and a youtube channel.

I doubt those three would try to start their own show, and I dont think new hosts would be capable of bringing in the audiences world wide. If Hammond and May stay on I give it another 2-3 years then it will be an online article and web show.

May and Hammond walked away when Clarkson was suspended and the last two episodes were not shot, and have said already they were a trio.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!

March 25, 2015, 10:17 AM

Top Gear was there before Clarkson and I am sure it will be around in some way. But i think the trio will land someplace else. All of their contracts were up for renewal so now is the time. They will get a huge amount of cash thrown at them.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

March 25, 2015, 10:42 AM

HBO picking up the show seems more likely. They would be able to throw the needed money at it.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a llama again!

March 25, 2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTViper View Post
HBO picking up the show seems more likely. They would be able to throw the needed money at it.

HBO would ether have to create a new show with Clarkson with hopes to get the other two. Of they would have to buy Top Gear the show from BBC.

Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

March 25, 2015, 11:51 AM

Police are now investigating the incident and look like they will be charging Clarkson with assault. : North Yorkshire Police is liaising with the BBC regarding the alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson.
We have asked the BBC for the report which details the findings of their internal investigation into the matter.
The information will be assessed appropriately and action will be taken by North Yorkshire Police where necessary.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

March 25, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
HBO would ether have to create a new show with Clarkson with hopes to get the other two. Of they would have to buy Top Gear the show from BBC.

It would likely be a new show, the BBC rights would be absurdly expensive (I'm assuming).

The other two guys already said they would not sign a new contract without Clarkson, let's hope they stick to their guns.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#12)
Traction Control

March 25, 2015, 12:44 PM

Damnit, NOW how am I supposed to know if I should buy the Ferrari or the Lamborghini??

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

March 25, 2015, 12:59 PM

Brilliant move.
He sold BBC his share of the production company that produced Top Gear last year for $20MM.

A year later he gets himself fired and is now free to start over again wherever he wants having made a princely sum off the sale, still receiving royalties for shows that are re-airing, and knowing that the TG brand without him is basically a diminished value asset or even worthless.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

March 25, 2015, 01:40 PM

meh, I've felt that his shtick has been played out for a while now but then again, I tend to think of most Brits as giant cunts anyways....

Someone will pony up too much $$$ for him to carry on..kinda like A-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#15)
I'm a llama again!

March 25, 2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Brilliant move.
He sold BBC his share of the production company that produced Top Gear last year for $20MM.

A year later he gets himself fired and is now free to start over again wherever he wants having made a princely sum off the sale, still receiving royalties for shows that are re-airing, and knowing that the TG brand without him is basically a diminished value asset or even worthless.

He was fired but he also was out of his contract in like a month. All three of them had their contracts ending.

Last edited by Slider; March 25, 2015 at 03:13 PM..