DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 516
5 members and 511 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Clemson & NCAA
Unread
  (#1)
Owner of the Site Owner

Clemson & NCAA - September 12, 2006, 10:46 AM

go clemson :thumbup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2583647

Quote:

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson received permission Monday from the NCAA to provide assistance to a freshman football player who is taking care of his younger brother.
Ray Ray McElrathbey, 19, has temporary custody of his 11-year-old brother, Fahmarr, because of his mother's continuing drug problems and his father's gambling addiction. The brothers have moved from foster homes and now share an apartment near the Clemson campus.
"I want to thank the Clemson family for all their support in this situation. That includes my teammates and the Clemson student body," McElrathbey said after practice Monday. "I can't tell you how many students came up to me and said they were willing to help."
The school had asked the NCAA for a waiver of its rule prohibiting athletes from obtaining gifts, cash or other benefits not provided to the general student population.
"Once the NCAA became aware of the circumstances, we immediately began working with the Atlantic Coast Conference and Clemson University to address this unique situation," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of membership services. "NCAA extra benefit rules are designed to ensure student athletes do not receive financial or other benefits that are not readily available to all students.
"If there is a special circumstance, like this case, the institution and conference may seek a waiver."
McElrathbey will be allowed to receive assistance, such as local transportation and child care for Fahmarr.
"That will be great for my brother and relieve me of some worries about providing for him," McElrathbey said.
The most important thing for McElrathbey has been finding people who can pick his brother up from school and getting "some help from grown-ups looking after Fahmarr," Clemson athletic department spokesman Tim Bourret said.

Some of McElrathbey's friends at school stayed with Fahmarr back in South Carolina when the team played at Boston College last weekend.

Now, that task likely will be taken over by the wives of assistant coaches, Bourret said.

"I might be more excited about the ability of the Clemson athletic department staff being able to give Fahmarr a ride to and from school, and to be able to take care of him when I am on the road with the team," McElrathbey said. "That will solve a lot of problems. That was a constant worry."
The brothers had been living solely off McElrathbey's scholarship, but Clemson plans to establish a trust fund to coordinate financial contributions to help pay for normal living expenses, Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips said in a release.

Bourret said details of how the trust will be set up and how it will collect money have not been finalized, but added that the university is prohibited from coordinating a fundraiser with a football game.

He has said he sought custody because he was tired of worrying what might happen to Fahmarr if he lived with their mother in Atlanta.

"I wasn't going to let him go back to a foster home, back to the system," McElrathbey said.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

September 12, 2006, 10:51 AM

That's pretty cool, nice find.

Although its pretty much a joke when schools say that student atheletes don't get benefits (eg: gifts, cash, cars). Not quite sure how our star RB afforded his pimped out escalade years back as a sophmore.......

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

September 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

JMU's players got all sorts of shit when they won the 1-AA national championship, even the benchwarmers.
Unread
  (#4)
ysosRRs

September 12, 2006, 11:01 AM

nice find Paul

Madison Motorsports

V. Rossi - "I love Nascar because it's not a real trak -- it's oval."
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

September 12, 2006, 11:14 AM

Nice to see.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

September 12, 2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
JMU's players got all sorts of shit when they won the 1-AA national championship, even the benchwarmers.
+1 a good friend came back with tons of "freebies"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6