DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
5 members and 518 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW, Slider, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cliff jumping in Great Falls
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Cliff jumping in Great Falls - July 18, 2009, 12:51 PM

Anyone ever do this? My friends and I are thinking about doing it. Are the best places in VA or maryland side? Also is it legal? IDK why it wouldnt be...

This looks intense : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PudIFGGGJfk
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to smallfry  
Unread
  (#2)
GET SOME ! ! !

July 18, 2009, 01:01 PM

dv/dt and I looked into this once, just never followed up on it, send me a PM if you are looking for more people to join in on this adventure

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

July 18, 2009, 01:11 PM

I've been out there. if you go from va side, it's called difficult run. you go off of the difficult run trail and go to the potomac river. it's right downstream from great falls park. they have really good cliffs of all different sizes on va and md side. there's also good spots to chill on the rocks right by the water on the va side. one thing is for sure though, swimming out there is definitely not legal. you gotta watch for park police, but we rarely see them out there. also, if you decide to cross the river, be very careful, because the current is a lot faster than it looks. i had to swim after some idiot in our group one time cause he was dumb and tried to swim across without knowing what the hell he was doing. it's a lot of fun though, definitely good on hot summer days! pm me if u need more info on parking, maps, etc

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 18, 2009, 01:31 PM

FYI
lots of people die at great falls not the safest place to swim or cliff jump thats why park police are there. waterlevel is constantly changing becuase its a river. Safer to do this in a lake.
Unread
  (#5)
Elite Racing

July 18, 2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600cbr View Post
FYI
lots of people die at great falls not the safest place to swim or cliff jump thats why park police are there. waterlevel is constantly changing becuase its a river. Safer to do this in a lake.
+1

Lots of injuries and deaths out there.

Be careful.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#6)
I'm baaaaaack

July 18, 2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600cbr View Post
FYI
The Potomac river is no joke, please respect the power it has. Lots of people have died this year alone. Just keep in mind what your doing and do some research on the area before you even think about jumping off a cliff. Enough preaching, if you go have fun and stay safe.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

July 18, 2009, 03:00 PM

Do some thorough recon in the pool you're planning to land in. I have a cousin who is a quadriplegic now because he dove into a favorite spot in a lake he always swam in for years and years. Problem was that the year this happened had been very dry, and the water level was several feet lower. He hit some rocks that normally were not a problem but because of the drought, they got him.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control

July 18, 2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter600RR View Post
The Potomac river is no joke, please respect the power it has. Lots of people have died this year alone. Just keep in mind what your doing and do some research on the area before you even think about jumping off a cliff. Enough preaching, if you go have fun and stay safe.

+1

every single time we go there, we measure depth on the entire landing area. it's always 30+ feet of water where we land, and you can tell what the water level is when you go there enough. But we ALWAYS spend like 20mins doing several dives to scout the area. my biggest fear is having like a huge tree log sticking straight up that we can't see, and just happen to miss on our scouting dives, so be careful. I probly should've added that to my first post

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

July 18, 2009, 04:31 PM

o yeah we'd definetly would check the depth and for rocks.. We're probably gonna wait a while since we havent gotten much rain recently.

That video i posted is way too high for me,,the other vids where people are jumping at 20 ft seem high enough to get a rush..

But yeah we'd def make sure its legit, and id let a few peepz jump b4 me first
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to smallfry  
Unread
  (#10)
I got nothin....

July 18, 2009, 04:36 PM

BE SAFE....Let you buddy go FIRST!!!!

Ride NAKED or Ride Dirty
Xbox live: declaredmental
Unread
  (#11)
Oh no, not-a Finrand!

July 18, 2009, 04:49 PM

I've wanted to try it, something on the list for this summer. I'll let you know if we end up doing it, or vice versa.
Unread
  (#12)
See the mouth and the eye

July 18, 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
dv/dt and I looked into this once, just never followed up on it, send me a PM if you are looking for more people to join in on this adventure
let me know if you find any info, I would love to do it, we should make a recon run out there and check it out...theres a few nice roads out in great falls.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

July 18, 2009, 05:15 PM

I've been jumping there for years, it is one of the best places I've ever been to cliff jump. It has a large safe jumping platform, a large landing, and deep water. No you're not allowed, yes lots of people do it, yes it can be dangerous, and yes it can be done safely. If your not good at swimming in open water then I don't think you should do it, if you are good at open water swimming I say go for it.

Scout out your landing first, and just keep your self strait when jumping in. It is super deep around there. I've never come close to bottoming out from that jump. I would be more worried about the current with high water, because it can get fast.

That jump in the video is about 45-50' depending on what part of the rock you jump off. The other side of the river has a 40' jump and a 65'+ jump that one takes some guts to huck off of. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 18, 2009, 07:49 PM

Back in the early 80's we used to dive off the cliffs at Dickerson quarry. This place is located just past the 90* bend of Rt 28 (at Martinsburg, Rd). Look for all the no parking signs on the side of 28 a few hundred feet past Martinsburg Rd, heading towards Dickerson. You would walk up the gas line easement.

You can see the two filled quarries on google maps. last time I was there was like 1981 or so. I was 21 at the time and it took me quite some time to get up the nerve to jump. There was rope swings, cliffs of different heights, it was crazy fun. A few people got hurt and then the cops started towing cars and they put up the no parking signs...I wish for the good old days.

EDIT:

My curiosity got the best of me and I started poking around. Apparently people still go back there. Found this on the net...click the boxed areas of the map for more info.

14 was the cliff we would jump off of. And I forgot about the story of the "boogeyman" that lives back there. Made up I suppose to keep people away.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.217758&...16&l=0&m=b&v=8

Last edited by morsetaper2; July 18, 2009 at 08:15 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Layin Low

July 18, 2009, 10:27 PM

Lake abel in Va has two big cliffs one about 25 ft the other is close to 40. Its in Stafford the locals will know where it is if you need help finding it. It is a small hike and swim to get there but great fun..