DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
4 members and 567 guests
davidcycle, RideUniverse, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Commuters?
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Commuters? - October 31, 2014, 08:51 AM

How many commuters do we have on this forum? Doesn't seem to be many of us around here. I ride a 60 mile round trip route everyday from Herndon to Old Town Alexandria. This morning was a brisk 36 degrees, and my hands got a bit cold, but I was fine otherwise. There's something about riding this time of year that I really love! Makes the commute bearable.

I have to admit, I don't see too many bikers on my trip. Am I one of the few?

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

October 31, 2014, 08:57 AM

I used to ride everyday no matter the conditions. But I have taken some time off from that, I got kind of tired of it when I was given a free commuter car. I am certain I will go back to it some day.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 31, 2014, 09:00 AM

I commute on the bike.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#4)
Parkin lot pimpin'

October 31, 2014, 09:01 AM

50 degrees and warmer I will, but I just hate taking the extra time to get geared up in the morning and put on layers when I'm not a morning person in the first place.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 31, 2014, 09:04 AM

Nah, 9 minute commute. It would literally take me longer to get geared up and have the bike warmed up a little and get to work than just jumping in the Toyota and just going. Short commutes in the winter are the worst on a bike. Tires never get warm, engine barely gets warmed up. Pass.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 31, 2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
Nah, 9 minute commute. It would literally take me longer to get geared up and have the bike warmed up a little and get to work than just jumping in the Toyota and just going. Short commutes in the winter are the worst on a bike. Tires never get warm, engine barely gets warmed up. Pass.
Eff that. My commute is 3-5 mins. I still do that shit!

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#7)
no one's blowing up moons

October 31, 2014, 09:12 AM

No car so everywhere on the bike - exception for ice. With a Roadcrafter, even the ultralight, I never got wet in the rain and I didn't have to layer up like I did in other gear. Quick on/off so gearing up was never really a problem.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 31, 2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Eff that. My commute is 3-5 mins. I still do that shit!
Damn, I just lost G points.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#9)
All weather rider

October 31, 2014, 09:31 AM

Daily commuting to work is, at this point, about all the riding I do, except for some off-road fun during the Summer on vacation. I no longer have a true sportbike.
I stopped bike commuting for a few years and tried taking the Metro (free with employee benefits- I couldn't pass it up) but realized I'd rather let them keep the money and commute on my own dime, to cut the commute time in half (or more if the Metro has delays) and make it fun. I put about 8,000 miles a year on a used DL650. Before I got that I was riding my vintage turbocharged bikes to work, but parts are rare and I needed a cheap plain vanilla commuter.

It's rare when weather does not permit me to ride. We usually get the day off when the snow/ice is too bad, and if the forcast is for snow in the afternoon I ride in anyway and leave the bike at work if conditions are too bad to head home. I can usually ride it home the very next afternoon.

My gear is cheap and simple for inclement weather. A snowmobile one-piece ($50 at Sportsman's Guide) over my usual riding gear, and electric gloves and balaclava for Winter, and Neoprene fisherman's waders (with built-in boots) and a raincoat over my usual gear (and my regular walking shoes in my backpack) when there's heavy rain.
Unread
  (#10)
Track Day addict

October 31, 2014, 09:36 AM

If my commute was 40' from the bedroom to my home office, I would commute on the motorcycle.

Cold - OK (down to about freezing)
Rain - OK
Hot - well as long as it isn't so hot in the morning that I would arrive at the office all sweaty
Cold and rain - no, it just isn't fun
Ice, snow, major thunderstorms - no

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

October 31, 2014, 10:17 AM

If I am at work I took a bike to get there (114 mile round trip). Like phogroian I could get to work for free if I wanted (train/bus) but that would largely eliminate my need for a street bike plus a longer commute (couple hours and, with an inner ear disorder I would have to just sit there, I can't read or anything).

I should be getting a new pair of Warm N Safe gloves in the mail today. This is a warranty replacement as the elastic on my last pair started fraying. Getting the Ultimate II Touring this time. Here's hoping they hold up better than the last.
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

October 31, 2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoSJ3 View Post
50 degrees and warmer I will, but I just hate taking the extra time to get geared up in the morning and put on layers when I'm not a morning person in the first place.
This is my only complaint. I do take longer to get the layers going in the morning. My wife gets up early, so I just get up with her anyway. So it's not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
I never got wet in the rain and I didn't have to layer up like I did in other gear. Quick on/off so gearing up was never really a problem.
I do avoid the rain and ice if possible. We have a parking garage at work, and I'm allowed to leave my car in it 24/7. So the car is always there if I need it. My wife and I only have a one car garage at the house, so this way we aren't playing car shuffle every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
Daily commuting to work is, at this point, about all the riding I do, except for some off-road fun during the Summer on vacation.
This is me too. I rarely ride on the weekends, so I do look forward to my commute. My wife's brother died from a motorcycle accident, so she is not much for riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
I could get to work for free if I wanted (train/bus) but that would largely eliminate my need for a street bike plus a longer commute (couple hours and, with an inner ear disorder I would have to just sit there, I can't read or anything).
I don't know if this is because I'm getting older or what, but I have started to feel ill if I'm on the Metro too long. If I commute via Metro (which I have a few times) it's an hour and 15 minutes and just to damn long.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Last edited by RobertJ; October 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
Commute racer

October 31, 2014, 10:43 AM

If I didn't commute, I'd be one of those people who rarely ride, instead of putting 15-20k miles a year on my bike.
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

October 31, 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoore View Post
If I didn't commute, I'd be one of those people who rarely ride, instead of putting 15-20k miles a year on my bike.
Absolutely the same here. When I first started riding years ago I was a weekend warrior, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#15)
Popplers!

October 31, 2014, 03:13 PM

I used to ride year round and then I moved 0.4 miles from work and now I have to walk .