DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
5 members and 575 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, Slider, tonetone, TonUp
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Condo community cracking down on parking
Unread
  (#1)
Instructor

Condo community cracking down on parking - April 24, 2012, 04:19 PM

Looking for some advice from the group. My wife and I live in a condo community that only allows you two parking passes but has always allowed free parking for motorcycles. Since I have two cars and two street bikes, it's worked out great.

Today we received notice that motorcycles now count towards your two spots. They said we can park them in the visitors spots if we'd like. Realistically with all the m/c in the community, that seems like it's going to get tossed pretty fast once people realize how many bikes will be parking there.

I ride the bike the most so it makes the most sense to sticker, but I hate it when tow companies check for stickers. They've knocked over my bikes in the past, almost towed one before I showed them it was stickered, and never put my cover back on right.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and found decent middle ground? I'm going to attempt to get a few spots marked as motorcycle only and hope they'll leave it at that. We can easily park six bikes in two spots. Throw a few paired spots around the community and we should be good to go.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Im Always Down to Ride

April 24, 2012, 04:22 PM

Nope....bought a place with a garage. what you speak of is 100% why I don't really like this area and why having a bike with no garage was a no go for me. That sucks man. Hope it works out for ya. Can't you just park them in your 2 spots at the front?

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#3)
Instructor

April 24, 2012, 04:24 PM

Nope, two vehicles in one spot is a towing. Besides the second one has a sidecar.

Unread
  (#4)
On vacation

April 24, 2012, 04:46 PM

Go to your next board meeting, bring several of your neighbors that want bike parking too, and speak to the Board directly. You need quorum (aka a majority of the board members) to be able to make these types of changes so you don't need to sway everyone, just enough to prevent quorum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#5)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 24, 2012, 04:48 PM

So glad i live in Dale Shitty.
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 24, 2012, 05:29 PM

Do you own or rent?

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
Instructor

April 24, 2012, 05:38 PM

own

Unread
  (#8)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 24, 2012, 05:44 PM

I would think that would give you a better leg to stand on. Since you are an owner and all. Like somebody else stated, go to the next meeting and make a ver educated well thought out argument to why this is not a good change and how the previous way wasn't hurting anybody. In my experience most HOA's are run by egocentric ass holes and in the end as much as it sucks its you get better results playing into their over inflated self-worth than arguing with them. I would try to find out what makes the guy tick and play into that. Keep your friends close and your enemy closer. With all that said if the time comes that you know you might not win the battle turn it into a war and make the little bitches cry.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

April 24, 2012, 05:50 PM

If it's not in the bylaws that motorcycles count toward your car parking pass, they cannot make parking regulation changes ad hoc. Not without approval from the community and passage of the regulation change by the community's board or directors.

Edit: As a matter of fact unless the bylaws state the parking space may only be occupied by one vehicle at a time, you're in the clear.
Spend a little time tonight going through your Community Association Disclosure book and find the section regarding parking regs.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; April 24, 2012 at 05:54 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 24, 2012, 05:51 PM

We get 1 spot.... we got 2 cars and the bike...i park the bike in our spot, wife parks with the bike, and my car i usually take the empty (free spot ) next to me...

our area wouldnt be bad but a few dickheads buy cars from auctions...then they just sit in the empties....

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#11)
On vacation

April 24, 2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
If it's not in the bylaws that motorcycles count toward your car parking pass, they cannot make parking regulation changes ad hoc. Not without approval from the community and passage of the regulation change by the community's board or directors.

Edit: As a matter of fact unless the bylaws state the parking space may only be occupied by one vehicle at a time, you're in the clear.
Spend a little time tonight going through your Community Association Disclosure book and find the section regarding parking regs.
Unfortunately, this is negated by the fact that the Bylaws *generally* give the Board final say. In most cases, all they have to do is vote on it. If it passes, they either create an addendum to the Rules & Regs or an amendment. As long as reasonable notice is given, they can enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 24, 2012, 07:44 PM

Detached houses with garages FTW

Sorry to hear about your troubles, steven. I second the above suggestion about banding together with other riders and raising the issue at the meetings.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#13)
Instructor

April 24, 2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Worse comes to worse one of my motorcycles always holds a spot in the visitors parking.

Unread
  (#14)
whatever you say chief

April 24, 2012, 08:15 PM

That sucks. The last time I moved I refused to look at places that didn't have a parking garage. I hate leaving my bike outside even if it is in motorcycle parking.

Sounds like you might have to pull the bike rotation in the guest spots if you can't get something worked out with the board.

2008 CBR600RR- Two Brothers Exhaust - K&N Air Filter - K&N Oil Filter - Flush signals - Fender eliminator - PIAA lamps

2011 Ninja 250 (sold)
Unread
  (#15)
EFI - 07/C2

April 24, 2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
Unfortunately, this is negated by the fact that the Bylaws *generally* give the Board final say. In most cases, all they have to do is vote on it. If it passes, they either create an addendum to the Rules & Regs or an amendment. As long as reasonable notice is given, they can enforce it.
Back when I lived in northern VA and lived in an HOA community the Board took some actions we didn't like, and a majority of the homeowners called a special meeting to have the vote overturned. I think 20% of the units had to sign a petition to call the special meeting. We more than had a quorum and the Board's action was overturned - and most of the Board members were booted at the next election.

So, read your bylaws to find out what is required to overturn a Board vote.

Or, you could store a bike out here. Promise I'll take good care of it.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to