DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 652
2 members and 650 guests
hokie, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Contractor in DC
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

Contractor in DC - November 9, 2010, 06:20 PM

Anyone know of a reliable contractor in DC that could repalce a roof on a townhouse? There is a deck on the roof that will need to be removed to access the roof. Owner is not looking to break the bank here, but needs someone reliable.

Thanks,

David
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

November 9, 2010, 07:13 PM

David, I will talk to a few of my contacts and PM you on here or Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to java927  
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

November 9, 2010, 08:36 PM

PM sent.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2010, 12:22 AM

I know of one...i have a ton of pictures of my whole house he renovated and it was done at a super good cost.

just had bambo floors put in. he built my pops garrage and just way too much stuff to list...

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

November 10, 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
I know of one...i have a ton of pictures of my whole house he renovated and it was done at a super good cost.

just had bambo floors put in. he built my pops garrage and just way too much stuff to list...
Someone doing renovations is, in most cases, not the proper contractor for a roof.

What is the current roof? EPDM, TPO, metal, shingles, etc?
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

November 10, 2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy View Post
Anyone know of a reliable contractor in DC that could repalce a roof on a townhouse? There is a deck on the roof that will need to be removed to access the roof. Owner is not looking to break the bank here, but needs someone reliable.

Thanks,

David

I don't know if he services DC but Kevin's Roofing did my roof and I can't say enough good things about them. Everyone who has had him do work has had excellent results.

Welcome to Kevin's Roofing: Your #1 Roofer in Fredericksburg (540) 373-2463

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Someone doing renovations is, in most cases, not the proper contractor for a roof.

What is the current roof? EPDM, TPO, metal, shingles, etc?
sigh...
this guy build $200,000 to $1,000,000 dollar houses from the ground up.

He put a new roof on my house and my neighbors. He is not only a renovator he is a complete building, office buildings, homes etc. He is a friend of mines and and gives me hella fied deals and people i send to him also. Even without being a friend his prices are extremly good. I brought my house from him in 1994, and I had him renovate it 4 times since.

Here is the new house he just built Listed for $799,000 in my neighborhood
1342 MONTAGUE St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20011 | MLS# DC7262825

he have two of them incase someone was looking. Side by Side.
So i think that makes him "Qualified" to put a roof on....don't you?

1342 MONTAGUE St NORTHWEST WASHINGTON, DC 20011

Last edited by vonstallin; November 10, 2010 at 08:08 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2010, 08:13 AM

PS: tha advantage of him being a Constructor in DC is Knowing the in's and outs of most old town homes in DC. Alot of homes in DC date back to late 1890's, but mostly pre 1940's and come with alot of unique issues that you don't find too often.

Unread
  (#9)
Meh

November 10, 2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
sigh...
this guy build $200,000 to $1,000,000 dollar houses from the ground up.

He put a new roof on my house and my neighbors. He is not only a renovator he is a complete building, office buildings, homes etc. He is a friend of mines and and gives me hella fied deals and people i send to him also. Even without being a friend his prices are extremly good. I brought my house from him in 1994, and I had him renovate it 4 times since.

Here is the new house he just built Listed for $799,000 in my neighborhood
1342 MONTAGUE St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20011 | MLS# DC7262825

he have two of them incase someone was looking. Side by Side.
So i think that makes him "Qualified" to put a roof on....don't you?

1342 MONTAGUE St NORTHWEST WASHINGTON, DC 20011

Von,

I wasn't speaking to your contractor specifically so your exasperation is misplaced.

I am sure he is skilled and knows his craft. That being said, people that build house are not doing every trade from tile laying to roofing but rather subcontracting the work to someone that does that as the mainstay of their work.

If your roof is anything like the one pictured, anyone with a hammer and ladder can hang an asphalt shingle and probably do a relatively leakproof job of it.

The reason that I asked rddy about his roof type is because a flat, membrane, built up, or metal roof is a much trickier proposition and is best left for people that do that type of work on a regular basis. Again, I am sure that you contractor knows his craft and may even know flat roofs, but he is likely going to sub the work to a roofer that does that sort of stuff more exclusively.

The recommendation of a friend is superbly important and I would encourage rddy to contact him. Just want to make sure that rddy does his homework as well.

Agreed that DC construction presents some interesting challenges from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary if the person know their craft.

Most contractors don't know as much as they think they do and instead of turning away work (no one is now) will attempt something that would be better left alone.

Hope that qualifies my earlier response.
Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Von,
Quote:

I wasn't speaking to your contractor specifically so your exasperation is misplaced.

I am sure he is skilled and knows his craft. That being said, people that build house are not doing every trade from tile laying to roofing but rather subcontracting the work to someone that does that as the mainstay of their work.

If your roof is anything like the one pictured, anyone with a hammer and ladder can hang an asphalt shingle and probably do a relatively leakproof job of it.

The reason that I asked rddy about his roof type is because a flat, membrane, built up, or metal roof is a much trickier proposition and is best left for people that do that type of work on a regular basis. Again, I am sure that you contractor knows his craft and may even know flat roofs, but he is likely going to sub the work to a roofer that does that sort of stuff more exclusively.

The recommendation of a friend is superbly important and I would encourage rddy to contact him. Just want to make sure that rddy does his homework as well.

Agreed that DC construction presents some interesting challenges from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary if the person know their craft.

Most contractors don't know as much as they think they do and instead of turning away work (no one is now) will attempt something that would be better left alone.

Hope that qualifies my earlier response.

Blackhatch....

I knew what RDDY ask for...
that’s why I recommended my friend.

I have a flat roof installed in 2002. He tore the old one completely off and relayed everything. It is a Rubberized roof that has some kind of boards and what not on them. Roofing is not my profession. I sat on the roof and help/watched.

** I put “sigh…” at the begining of my thread, because it feel as though everyone have to adlib every post or come off as an "Authority" on every issue/topic If it is something in there field.

Even with the above reply saying:
"If your roof is anything like the one pictured anyone with a hammer and ladder can hang an asphalt shingle and probably do a relatively leak proof job of it."

The tone of the original reply to me and the current reply is just full of ...I don't know...smugness/superiority.

Anyway.
To each its own.

I never said my friends “roofing sub contractor” can do the job.

RDDY ask for a Contractor in DC who can do a roof with a deck and I replied saying I know someone who can do the job. (and at a decent price).

I may have referenced my current interior job, because he just did that for me last spring.

I’ve had allot of work done by him. He is also a fellow Rider. (Bike less at this moment).
Known him for 16 years and have pictures of the countless large and small projects he have done for me.

To be honest if RDDY would have sent me a PM I then would went into detail about all the type and kind of work he does, but since I figured the chance of RDDY contacting me was say...1 in 100 I just wrote a quick reply vs. the long bible of details I find myself doing to prove to someone "Not" getting something done.

It's all good though man.
I am “not” mad.

Just get tired/irritated of the internet sometimes.

Unread
  (#11)
Meh

November 10, 2010, 02:58 PM

Like I said...the recommendation of friend is always a good source.

Didn't intend to come off as smug. Roofing is what I do so I was just trying to give rddy some general advice as it pertains to all matters of construction. I should have never quoted you in the first place as it was not my intent to impugn your friend at all. Like I said, it was aimed at general commentary on the larger picture.

My commentary about shingle roofs was just to show how many contractors will never turn down work when they are clearly outside of their comfort zone. We are booked through the end of January and quite a few of those jobs is fixing other jobs that people completed.

Flat roofs are most problematic because of their increased likelihood to leak and, in most cases, poor pitch and penetrations.

Your friend put down and EPDM rubber membrane roof and it should last you 25 years.
Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Like I said...the recommendation of friend is always a good source.

Didn't intend to come off as smug. Roofing is what I do so I was just trying to give rddy some general advice as it pertains to all matters of construction. I should have never quoted you in the first place as it was not my intent to impugn your friend at all. Like I said, it was aimed at general commentary on the larger picture.

My commentary about shingle roofs was just to show how many contractors will never turn down work when they are clearly outside of their comfort zone. We are booked through the end of January and quite a few of those jobs is fixing other jobs that people completed.

Flat roofs are most problematic because of their increased likelihood to leak and, in most cases, poor pitch and penetrations.

Your friend put down and EPDM rubber membrane roof and it should last you 25 years.

Its all good sir.
i was about to ask why you didnt offer...but being book to January in this economy is damn good...

Most times I just brush it off, but I think i was a little bitchy when i replied. (no lunch).... So I was a little out of character also.

Unread
  (#13)
Meh

November 10, 2010, 03:55 PM

No harm no foul.

You should have seen me rage on my guys this AM.
Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 10, 2010, 04:46 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. The house belongs to my mother-in-law, so I don't know all of the details, but I will find out.

Von, I definitely would like to forward on your friend's contact info. It may be too small of a job for him, but if it is, he may know someone else that could do it. Feel free to PM me his contact info.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy