DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 461
5 members and 456 guests
beatle, fxc3700, Nobrains, Slider, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Contractor Recommendations?
Unread
  (#1)
SRWJTS Recruiter

Contractor Recommendations? - May 15, 2018, 07:54 PM

Just bought a house and looking to make some changes. Any recommendations for specifically plumbers (licensed to deal with gas lines), flooring contractors (hardwood), and painters. Also will take recommendations for general contractors/handymen for smaller projects. Thanks in advance.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

May 16, 2018, 11:33 AM

Frankie; Raine & Son Plumbing: 443-440-7448
He's a licensed plumber w/Raine & Son plumbing, but moonlights as an independent as well. I've used him several times for various projects.
Tell him the President from the Condos in Laurel recommended him.

Painters. Need more info on what level of finish & craftsmanship you're looking for. Professional general room painting or a Lvl. 5 finish on your drywall and cut-ins that look like they were done with a razor blade.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Recruiter

May 16, 2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Painters. Need more info on what level of finish & craftsmanship you're looking for. Professional general room painting or a Lvl. 5 finish on your drywall and cut-ins that look like they were done with a razor blade.
Both?

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#4)
TNT
GP Champ

May 16, 2018, 09:44 PM

I'm not sure if a lvl 5 with razor blade cut ins is a good or bad thing. My wife watches plenty of HGTV, so she'd probably know. Incidentally the same issue that probably was the main factor in me spending way too much on the house I just signed up to buy...

RD, I'm going to squat on this thread, because I'm going to need the same contacts in the near future once we close.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

May 17, 2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Both?

Premium:
Joel Alvarado; Definition Painting Services
240-286-8673
definitionpainting@yahoo.com

General:
Jorge Franco
301-675-2999

Sonia (ask for her Husband, Carlos who runs the painting side of their home upkeep business)
240-277-2457

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; May 17, 2018 at 08:54 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

May 17, 2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I'm not sure if a lvl 5 with razor blade cut ins is a good or bad thing. .
Level 5 is the highest level of drywall surface prep and finish one can do. It's time intensive but leaves a perfectly smooth, flawless, museum wall level finish.

"Cutting in" is the term for when you paint along the border of a transition between two different surfaces with different colors or paint finishes.
The sharper the line, the more skilled the painter. Lines that look like they were cut in with a razor blade is a figure of speech for an skilled painter who can get their lines sharp and straight. Highly skilled painters don't bother with painters tape - they cut in freehand.

Last edited by Heist; May 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
TNT
GP Champ

May 17, 2018, 11:22 PM

Thank you, Sir. Now I know a bit more about what to ask for after I hamfist the job(s). My DIY skills are level 0, but I am hoping to start learning. Will definitely want to be able to call someone to fix the mistakes if it gets out of hand.
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 18, 2018, 12:05 AM

my house is a DC 1923 row ... you can see so much horseshit in the plaster and dry walls....fuck a LV5 lol

im kidding..but kinda not...just give me some cheap ......... labor and im happy.

Last painters i hired to paint my vacation house....ate all my fucking food out the fridge.

and dude was beating his wife and staying in the house lol...not funny but god damn.

ok sorry for thread jacking.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

May 18, 2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
my house is a DC 1923 row ... you can see so much horseshit in the plaster and dry walls....fuck a LV5 lol
Plaster did used to be held together with horsehair. They'd mix in it to act as a strengthening agent, like rebar in concrete or fiberglass now.

I'd take plaster walls 8 days of the week over drywall/ sheetrock, no need to look for a stud, just nail pictures anywhere- the lath will hold it. Damn hard to find someone who can plaster nowadays though, and if you can find one they're $$$.