DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 589
4 members and 585 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Taty, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
DCSportbikes.net

DCSportbikes.net (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/)
-   Non-Sportbike Chat (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/)
-   -   Cool tech (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/cool-tech-78477/)

Deep December 28, 2012 01:24 PM

Cool tech

I always used to wonder if the wasted energy during braking could be harnessed .. well just say this in a youtube add and sounds fantastic .. obviously the 5% fuel efficiency is probably gonna increase while driving in DC traffic

pnbell December 28, 2012 01:37 PM

Regenerative braking has actually been around for a while and i believe most electric hybrid cars use it.

Interesting Motorcycle Fact: In 2009 KTM racing installed a secret "Kinetic Energy Recovery System" on their bike which used this same idea, but applied power to the motor and gave a boost in acceleration after braking!

Heist December 28, 2012 02:36 PM

I think I missed something. If the alternator is free wheeling and not being driven off the engine when the car is under power, what is being used to power all the electricals in the car? A capacitor is good for quick power stores but is not good for delivering continuous power over a long period. Think of it more as an aux battery.

pnbell December 28, 2012 02:59 PM

I believe there is still an alternator in this system which runs off the engine. The regenerative braking is only supplementing the engine created electricity.

Hybrid Cars have electric motors at each drive wheel; these motors are powered by a battery/engine; During deceleration these Motors turn into Alternators (reversing polarity maybe?) and generate power which is feed back into the system.

Note: a Motor and an Alternator are almost identical.

wildjester December 28, 2012 03:11 PM

Decade old technology... but sounds brand new when spoken with smart sounding accent.

2blueyam December 28, 2012 03:15 PM

I have no documented information on this, but my guess would be they put the batteries in the tail of this electric racebike just so they could have enough weight on the rear wheel to allow for regenerative braking off the driven wheel. Trying to regen electric off the front wheel of a motorcycle is not easy.

Electric Superbike Beats Gas Bikes in WERA - Motorcycle USA

okayh December 28, 2012 04:21 PM

The most innovative thing in this system is the energy storage method. This will be the first production system using super caps for energy storage. Outside of this the only other automotive application of using caps that I am familiar with is Toyota's hybrid at Le Mans this year.

As far as capacitors vs battery, give it another decade and I think that supercaps will be able to match and exceed traditional batteries in all categories. They have already proven to last longer since they charge/discharge based off electric fields vs chemical reactions. Physical breakdown is a lot slower in the E.Field breakdown.

Hopefully with all of this we can get a trickle down KERS system into our production cars with some steering wheel red buttons. F Vin Diesel and his NAWS.

TNT December 28, 2012 05:51 PM

Decade old? Try a lot more than that. Motor generators have been around forever, but it's cool that they are starting to refine the systems and get them in more and more equipment with suitable use.

wildjester December 28, 2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNT (Post 1312507)
Decade old? Try a lot more than that. Motor generators have been around forever, but it's cool that they are starting to refine the systems and get them in more and more equipment with suitable use.

I meant the regenerative braking

okayh December 29, 2012 01:31 PM

Traction motors in the railroad industry does the same stuff, it's been around. Production use of regenerative braking in cars is relatively new though.

Deep March 9, 2013 08:31 PM

Regenerative braking on a bicycle
Boost Your Bike