DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
1 members and 557 guests
BigDaddyShoo
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Craigslist Scam or Not?
Unread
  (#1)
Mommy's Little Monster

Craigslist Scam or Not? - November 9, 2010, 08:55 AM

I'm selling a rather expensive pair of my Oakley's on craigslist, and I get an email last night from this guy in Utah who wants to buy them, asking if I'll ship them. He gave his phone number in the email as well. I sent him an email back this morning saying I would consider shipping as long as he pays for it, and asking if he have a paypal account, and also asking for his postal code. So he just sent another email back saying he has a 'confirmed business' account with paypal and gives me a zip code for West Jordan, Utah (right outside Salt Lake City.)

My question is, if he send all the funds up front and they show up in my paypal account, is there any chance of it turning out to be a scam and me losing those funds? Normally I only deal with cash and local pickup only when using Craigslist, but this guy actually sounds legit. Thoughts? Recommendations?

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Elite Racing

November 9, 2010, 08:59 AM

Wait for the money to completely clear your PayPal account then transfer it to your bank, if you're setup that way.

Sounds a little suspect, but if the guy doesn't mind waiting for the payment to completely clear on your side, I think you'll be fine.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

November 9, 2010, 09:08 AM

Paypal can still suck money out of your bank even after you transferred it...

Only "safe" way is to get cash.

If you want to use paypal, use eBay.. they have all sorts of protection built in if you do that.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

November 9, 2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post
I'm selling a rather expensive pair of my Oakley's on craigslist, and I get an email last night from this guy in Utah who wants to buy them, asking if I'll ship them. He gave his phone number in the email as well. I sent him an email back this morning saying I would consider shipping as long as he pays for it, and asking if he have a paypal account, and also asking for his postal code. So he just sent another email back saying he has a 'confirmed business' account with paypal and gives me a zip code for West Jordan, Utah (right outside Salt Lake City.)

My question is, if he send all the funds up front and they show up in my paypal account, is there any chance of it turning out to be a scam and me losing those funds? Normally I only deal with cash and local pickup only when using Craigslist, but this guy actually sounds legit. Thoughts? Recommendations?
Screw paypal tell him if he wants them send a money order certified mail.
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

I've also heard of paypal being able to take back money from you. I'm sure it's in their fine print somewhere. But I'm not exactly sure why they would take make money from you if you shipped the item w/insurance.

I guess I would see if there are any other local takers who want the glasses.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Jake's Mom

November 9, 2010, 09:12 AM

I would just send it "signature required"
I have sold a lot of things using paypal and never had any issues.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Mojito Anyone?

November 9, 2010, 09:29 AM

Seems legit.. just call the dude and talk to him.. I've bought things from different cities and had people ship it to me..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#8)
Mommy's Little Monster

November 9, 2010, 09:36 AM

I just called paypal, and they informed me that, if the money shows up in my paypal account, then it's already legit. I think if the buyer agrees to let the funds clear back into my bank account it should be alright. I had planned on shipping them with signature verification anyway so he can't try and claim that i never shipped them.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#9)
Meh

November 9, 2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Paypal can still suck money out of your bank even after you transferred it...

Only "safe" way is to get cash.

If you want to use paypal, use eBay.. they have all sorts of protection built in if you do that.
Have two accounts for paypal and transfer the fund directly out once they have cleared.

Remove your back up funding source...done.
Unread
  (#10)
Mommy's Little Monster

November 9, 2010, 09:53 AM

This is from the paypal user agreement. Seems like if the funds somehow turn out to be faulty, paypal can come after you for them, even if they've already been withdrawn.

Quote:
4.4 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. This means that, in addition to any other liability, you will be responsible for the amount of the payment, plus the applicable Fees listed in section 8 of this Agreement if you lose a Claim or a Chargeback, or if there is a Reversal of the payment. You agree to allow PayPal to recover any amounts due to PayPal by debiting your Balance. If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. If a sender of a payment files a Chargeback, the credit card issuer, not PayPal, will determine who wins the Chargeback.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#11)
Jake's Mom

November 9, 2010, 11:12 AM

They don't just withdraw the money back from you. They do a dispute where you get a chance to respond. If you shipped the item and have proof that they signed for it, then you are good.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 9, 2010, 11:18 AM

You can verify someones paypal account here, simply replace 'email' with their email address/paypal id:
https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=email

Once you receive the funds, ship the item with tracking and/or signature on delivery, make sure you keep the receipt.

-Ryan