DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 792
4 members and 788 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Crash of 1929 compared to todays market and the 2000 tech bubble burst
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Crash of 1929 compared to todays market and the 2000 tech bubble burst - March 5, 2009, 03:30 PM

Is anyone else frightened by this graphic that the post had in the print paper on march 3rd?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030202938.html

We are on the same 3 year track as the 1929 crash.

Ok you folks that are smarter than me on finance, stats, and numbers please comment.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 5, 2009, 03:47 PM

The market crash isn't that frightening... It's the fact that our currency is worth shit and will only get worse for the next little while. We're on track for something terrible if this administration can't get it pulled together. Take the riots in Europe for example. Iceland's economy got so bad that the government was recently dissolved. No joke. Think about what would happen in our society if we became anarchistic. It would be downright frightening.

Watch this:

Last edited by COINSLoT; March 5, 2009 at 03:51 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 5, 2009, 03:50 PM

I think the above link is messed up, try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPfKxOQGHU
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

March 5, 2009, 03:54 PM

Panic and fear is the short term reaction - normal but not logical.

The market will recover, it always has. If you need a recent example, look at where it was on your graphic in 2002 and how things were 2,3,4 years later.

Expect a green-bubble to replicate the internet bubble but not as pronounced. The green industry is starting to mature slowly. For example, I'm starting to see turbine inventory actually stagnate (relatively) - part of that is that technology is outpacing production, part of it lies in lack of the application of financial models to the sector. It is changing, maturing and yes..the bubble will pop in a few years. Long enough to let your graph track down for another year and then see a climb back to 5 digit DJIA

nice find

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Eddie would go ...

March 5, 2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COINSLoT View Post
I think the above link is messed up, try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPfKxOQGHU

further proof that recession brings out the people who pray on the public's fears, human nature feeds it. Expect idiots left and right to get bigger stages.... Please think for yourselves

Quote:
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

March 5, 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
further proof that recession brings out the people who pray on the public's fears, human nature feeds it. Expect idiots left and right to get bigger stages.... Please think for yourselves

truer words have never been spoken.

This is the time to get your foot in the door on investments. People are waiting for the markets to bottom. I think we'll have a quick 1000 or so point rebound and will slowly build over the years. My hope is that it was slowly build. Quick recovery based on over valued markets will set us up for another recession in the short term.

I can't recall the economist who said it...but he states that the stock market is a crazy bi-polar aunt who's either way on the upswing or down in the dumps. It's never even keeled.

The stock marker is only a small piece of the overall economic puzzle.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

March 5, 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COINSLoT View Post
Iceland's economy got so bad that the government was recently dissolved. No joke. Think about what would happen in our society if we became anarchistic.
Iceland?anarchy? They have a bankrupcy issue, devalued currency..not armed mobs in the streets...

Consider these 6 reasons to move to Iceland:

Consider:
They've already had their bust. Their currency is already worthless, which means you don't have to worry about a coming bust.
In America, you're living in fear that the Chinese will wake up, stop buying American debt, and the only answer will be running the printing presses.
Hello Weimar! It still feels like a longshot, but it could happen. Why live with the fear?

They're geopolitically insignificant
. Who's going to bomb Reykjavik if there's another World War?

They've got resources
. When you boil it down, what more do you need to live than geothermal energy and fish? Ok, you need an internet connection, too, but they have that.
Fish, geothermal energy and internet and you're all set.

It's a peaceful island
. They did have some "riots" after the economy first collapsed, but by and large they were non-violent.
There's a lot of social cohesion there, which means that even in the downtimes, there's probably little need to stockpile guns.

Few repressed, angry immigrants
. Unlike many other places in Europe, where you've got pockets of under- or unemployed angry immigrants,
Iceland doesn't have this critical societal issue to resolve.

And the bonus.
Icelanders are good looking.

Quote:
Unread
  (#8)
One and Only

March 5, 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

You really are a brilliant man.

I'm a little gay for you, if I'm being honest...

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

March 6, 2009, 07:44 AM

I think that we are shielded somewhat here in DC, I havnt quite felt this poo economy yet. Well except that I couldnt refinance due to my house value going to absolute shit.

Then i saw that graphic in the newspaper that shows how the market today is tracking pretty close to the 29 crash made me stop and think.

I am surprised the above graphic isnt shown nearly that much in the media.

I figured some of the math and stat nuts may have more specifics on it. I wish i could see the graph spread out over a longer time too.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

March 6, 2009, 07:54 AM

Number one: I am of the same general opinion in this economic crisis as I am with global warming. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, if we have an ice age, we have a desert age... if we spend unmitigatedly for long enough, we will have nothing to borrow with and not be able to spend. Sustainability... I've probably said that in 30 different threads now. Everything balances back to equilibrium given enough time.

Number two: Vacation in Reykjavik, the dollar rocks over there right now... and they aren't even that mad at America... Everything Dutch said is spot on, including the fact that they have an inordinate amount of extraordinarily hot, blonde, blue eyed women.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B