DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 538
2 members and 536 guests
beatle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
creating an iphone app .. NEED IDEAS
Unread
  (#1)
I have a bike shop

creating an iphone app .. NEED IDEAS - January 8, 2010, 01:36 PM

hey guys ..... i was thinking about getting some content together to maybe try to create an iphone app.

any suggestions of what functions on the app would be cool to have? im into bikes and shit, so there will definitely be bike stuff there, but i wanted to have some other cool stuff as well and I have no idea where to start, so I thought id ask

im going to have a section for videos/pictures for sure. i travel a lot so I got tons of footage and content that I can always update.

--please no bastardizing this thread. im simply looking for ideas of what things might be cool to have on an app.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

January 8, 2010, 01:43 PM

Data Logging ability? Tap into the GPS function to capture it.
Local ride routes iconed to the area you're in and mapped.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I have a bike shop

January 8, 2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Data Logging ability? Tap into the GPS function to capture it.
Local ride routes iconed to the area you're in and mapped.

what specifically do you mean by 'data logging'?
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'

January 8, 2010, 02:04 PM

I think Heist means something like GPS Tracker, so that you can log (position, heading, speed, altitude) of pings and create a history.
Might want to look into making android application, I know there might be less following but the community might be more welcoming of new developers. Plus iphone does not does, Droid does.
Kidding apart though are you just trying to create an app that would just contain videos?

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

January 8, 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
what specifically do you mean by 'data logging'?
Highest Speed. Average Speed. Route Ridden.
Basically, you start the app then drop the Iphone in your pocket and off you go until you tell it to stop (within reason so you set a max mem limit/time limit).

Then you can also have it log stuff that you input manually.
Restaurants or Scenic Overlooks.
Points of Interest.
Notes

And also, you can have it store data like fuel maps, dyno tune stuff, etc. etc. since Iphone is basically a mini-computer.

Basically, the application becomes a pocket GPS / data logger but more functional since it's tied to the overall "Motorcycle Life" (working name) app. so it's not just a app that delivers motorcycle content, but it also has additional functionality.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

January 8, 2010, 04:34 PM

Yeah like an app where you can stop occasionally, log your position, then create a "ride" by connecting the points onto google maps or something.

And if you saw cops you could log those points also so next time on the ride you or others know where they tend to hide.
Unread
  (#7)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

January 8, 2010, 07:09 PM

here's a cool app idea:

basically what this app does it provides people who are interested in stealing motorcycles with locations on a map where potential easy bikes are to be stolen. now here's the cool part, so basically if somebody is strolling along and they see a bike that's easy pickings, they open the app and mark the spot.

ok so basically when mcnutbike11 is looking to steal a bike, they hop on this app and get to see a general location of where potential bikes might be. now, if they want the exact address, they have to pay $5 a pop, part of the money goes to the person who found the spot, and the rest goes to you!

is this idea awesome or what?

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you

Last edited by Slow; January 8, 2010 at 07:13 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Open your mind

January 9, 2010, 12:49 PM

Do you know how to program in C?
Unread
  (#9)
WeEeEeE

January 11, 2010, 08:24 AM

have you looked into it at all? To create an iPhone app you need to be a member of .. i dont remember what.. but basically you end up dropping a lot of cash to be be "allowed" to create an App.

#785 WERA Expert
www.7eighty5.com
www.785graphics.com
2009 WERA C Superstock NE, MA, and NC Runner Up
2009 WERA WSS National, MA and NE Champion
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Katie785  
Unread
  (#10)
I have a bike shop

January 11, 2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
here's a cool app idea:

basically what this app does it provides people who are interested in stealing motorcycles with locations on a map where potential easy bikes are to be stolen. now here's the cool part, so basically if somebody is strolling along and they see a bike that's easy pickings, they open the app and mark the spot.

ok so basically when mcnutbike11 is looking to steal a bike, they hop on this app and get to see a general location of where potential bikes might be. now, if they want the exact address, they have to pay $5 a pop, part of the money goes to the person who found the spot, and the rest goes to you!

is this idea awesome or what?

hahahhaa...... that's awesome
Unread
  (#11)
I have a bike shop

January 11, 2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie785 View Post
have you looked into it at all? To create an iPhone app you need to be a member of .. i dont remember what.. but basically you end up dropping a lot of cash to be be "allowed" to create an App.

i have looked into this in depth and getting it done is the only part I need help with. Im not a developer at all and I would definitely need it done by a pro who knows what's up. As far as it being "approved" by apple and all that, I got that covered. All I need is the app and Im good to go.

The idea about looging in times, distances, cop locations, cool ride spots, ect ect sounds cool. I dont want it to be just ONE function though. I was thinking of having this app do data logging as well as other cool shit. But keep the ideas coming though because the data logging sounds cool. What else would be useful?
Unread
  (#12)
Open your mind

January 11, 2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie785 View Post
It's not that much, actually. Just looked it up and it's $99 to apply to become an official developer and downloading the SDK is free. It helps if you already have an intel-based mac running leopard, too.