DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
3 members and 552 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cross country move... hints, tips, recommendations??
Unread
  (#1)
Knarly Adventurer

Question Cross country move... hints, tips, recommendations?? - May 23, 2013, 09:59 AM

In the next 30-90 days, we will be moving to Nebraska.
I have never moved further then about 100 miles.

Any hints or tips, based on other's experiences will greatly help.
I have a lot of questions...
Do you hire movers?
Do you move your self and rent a big U-Haul?
Do we drive the car? tow the car?
Do I trailer the bike? ride it? put it in the moving truck?
etc etc etc

All kinds of questions.

Thanks

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

May 23, 2013, 10:13 AM

Many decisions depend on how much crap you plan to take with you. If you are keeping your furniture, then for this kind of move, you should at least consider using a professional mover.

We moved a small household (~1000 sqft home) from Kansas to Baltimore in 2004 on a $3K move stipend. I don't remember the company, but they were great. They put all the stuff we allowed onto an 18-wheeler and headed on down the road. We went over the stipend amount, but it was mainly because we had to store our stuff for a couple weeks in Baltimore. We also pulled a small Uhaul trailer with us on the drive out so that we could have some kitchen and other necessities upon arrival. The big truck rarely arrives the same day you do.

You many think you'll save some money renting your own truck, and you may. But you probably won't save that much. Where you save the most is in getting your own boxes, tape, blankets, furniture wrap, and doing a thorough job packing.

It might also be worth looking into PODS or something similar. Used to be they were expensive, but my cousin used them last year to move from Kansas to Seattle, and he's a total miser so it couldn't have been that outrageous.

If it were me, I'd pack my own stuff completely, have pros move it or load up a POD, and drive out while towing the bike. I'd put few days of clothes and essentials in the car/truck/trailer too.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
Sewing Machine Rider

May 23, 2013, 10:17 AM

Save your receipts. It's tax deductible.
Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

May 23, 2013, 10:17 AM

My friend is currently moving their single family home from Ashburn to Miami.. Using PODS. Pack em up and have the company move them for you.. unpack at your leisure..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

May 23, 2013, 10:19 AM

One thing to note about PODS: Accidents do happen. Think carefully about family heirlooms and decide accordingly. I saw what happens when they go into storage--forklift blades go through the walls and destroy things.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 23, 2013, 10:25 AM

Depends on the amount of stuff you have. I moved from Sterling to Ashburn from a townhouse to a single family. Last move I will ever do on my own. (With the help of friends.)

Next time, I will pack up the expensive, fragile stuff, electronics, computers, motorcycles, etc. Haul that myself. All of the furniture, etc. Somebody else can do. Just not worth the aggravation in my opinion. I'd rather color code the boxes & rooms, and tell the movers where to put stuff.

Just my $0.02. I know it won't be cheap. But I won't do it ever again.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#7)
Traction Control

May 23, 2013, 10:27 AM

I moved to Colorado 2 years ago. I had 2 bikes, an AWD car, and the standard amount of stuff that a 24 yr old single guy would have.

I rented a Penske truck (because it has wooden floors), drilled 6 holes in the floor, put 6 eye hooks in those holes, and strapped the bikes down. I also screwed small 2x4's on each side of both front wheels. They never moved the whole way here. I pulled a full car trailer behind the truck with my car on it. It was AWD so all 4 tires had to be off the ground.

When I was done I filled the holes in with some calking, and put dirt over it. You could barely see the holes before the dirt, after, you couldn't even tell I drilled it.

Also go back and fourth between penske, uhaul, etc multiple times. I dropped my price by hundreds doing this.

No movers, just me and friends on each end. But I didn't have a full family sized house of stuff to move. Get the truck in a size bigger than you think you need. I had enough room in (what I think was) a 22ft truck for my R6, WR250, my moms kitchen table, and all my crap. You can also put stuff in the car if you trailer it behind u.

Gas from VA to CO (1700 mi) cost $525 total
Truck rental + trailer was ~$1500

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini

Last edited by Tecknojoe; May 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

May 23, 2013, 10:32 AM

Pro movers have insurance if your stuff breaks. Also, you get to watch them do all the heavy lifting.

I would move the bike myself. I worked for a moving company in college. Unless the driver rides, he isn't likely to care about how he loads the bike.
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 23, 2013, 10:36 AM

+1 on the penske with the wooden floors., thats how i moved my motorcycle

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
?
Unread
  (#10)
"?"

? - May 23, 2013, 10:46 AM

check your pm

"?"
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM

Do not count on your friends to help pack up!!! I have had a couple friends do this and wam packing day no one showed up but me. Also if you rent a truck check it out completely. I would do the hire the movers and then pack up one vehicle with a tow behind and make a fun trip out of it.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
Knarly Adventurer

May 23, 2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming.
Yeah we are leaning towards packing our selves and paying pros to move it.
The car is an AWD so all wheels up while tow.
Thinking will probably puck a light duty hitch on the car and trailer the bike our.
We'll see...

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#13)
Cager

May 23, 2013, 12:42 PM

You save some money if you do rent truck and drive it yourself, but for labor, you could just hire movers to help load the stuff into the truck.

That should be the easiest/cheapest way.

I would recommend "The Movers" based in DC. It is owned by a good friend of mine named Matt. We opened up not too long ago and we have done over 200 jobs already. Matt and I are coming from a company that we worked for over 5 years, more than 2,000 jobs. Feel free to give him a call - 202-553-5257

One guy even hired us to rent a truck, drive, load, unload all of his stuff from DC to Philly. And he said we still were the cheapest. I dont think we would be willing to drive to Nebraska LOL, but we can help you load your stuff here before you depart. You can hire movers in Nebraska if you need help unloading.

Hope this helps somehow. Good luck with your move!

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

May 23, 2013, 01:01 PM

I would go with professionals. Pack it yourself but let them move it. Get multiple quotes because it is amazing how different the prices will be. It is expensive, but in the end it better not having to carry heavy furniture.

Another tip, and I am surprised that nobody here has offered this yet but it will save you a lot of money and travel time. Google Nebraska. You will see it is in the middle of the country not across it.
Unread
  (#15)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

May 23, 2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Save your receipts. It's tax deductible.
That's not entirely true.

There are specific conditions under which moving expenses may *legally* be deducted, all of them require being a "work-related relocation".