DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
1 members and 521 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

February 29, 2004, 08:44 PM

Looking for people who are into cycling. I frequent beach drive on the weekends. Anyone up for a cycling ride? 20-25mph?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 8, 2004, 04:58 PM

Dang, scorch. Too fast for me!
-b
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

March 8, 2004, 05:05 PM

Damm zen, what you been up to? Long time.

What bikes you got now?

Hey, ill slow it down to 18mph for you
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

March 9, 2004, 01:47 PM

Scorch I am down for some biking on Beach Drive....that is a nice little park to be in on a nice sunny day!! You ever metro in to another city, and bike home? I live in Crystal City and sometimes I'd metro to Silver Spring or Gaithersburg and ride back. Do some city riding--used to be a bike courier in DC. Loved it, and loved riding in traffic.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Racer_X Send a message via AIM to Racer_X Send a message via MSN to Racer_X  
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

March 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Scorch I am down for some biking on Beach Drive....that is a nice little park to be in on a nice sunny day!! You ever metro in to another city, and bike home? I live in Crystal City and sometimes I'd metro to Silver Spring or Gaithersburg and ride back. Do some city riding--used to be a bike courier in DC. Loved it, and loved riding in traffic.

Sweet man. I used to cycle everyday to work In d.c. Rain, shine, snow etc.. It was a blast. But I usually just used the trails, I like the capital crescent trail. That is a very well maintained trail. Beach drive is cool if you have a group of riders.

Never metroed anywhere like that. Id like to try thou. Im getting fairly bored of riding in the same place. I might start driving to the skyline drive and cycling portions of it. Thats a tough ride.

Another ride I want to do is the c/o canal all the way to cumberland md. 188 miles. There is an awesome deli in Paw paw, wva. I usually stop there when im riding my motorbikes.

I rode to school(arliington) last fri, it was like 70 degrees and it felt really good. Did a bit of city riding. Its pretty amazing that on those streets I am actually faster than the cars. Almost got taken out my a truck turning into my lane. But it all worked out

Are you in a cycling club? I was thinking of joining a club like squadra coppi and trying racing. That should get me in shape
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

March 10, 2004, 07:21 AM

Ah yes, the cycling clubs. Long time ago, I wanted to do racing, Tour De France, all that stuff, but now I am just your average rider. Not real intersted in being competitive, I am just out there to have fun, and get in shape. A ride to cumberland, 188 miles sounds interesting--don't know if I am that great of a shape but I am always willing to try. I can always call my mother to come pick me up like I did one time I was trying get back home, and maaaaaaan I just could not make it. My legs were soooo exhausted. It was a great day to ride though. Hot as hell.

Well let me know when you would be interested to ride. My GF and I ride bikes in the afternoons to Old Towne, taking the MT Vernon trail (I think it is called). But only when the weather gets super nice...not this cold weather we are having now. I would definitely like to get back in shape again.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Racer_X Send a message via AIM to Racer_X Send a message via MSN to Racer_X  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

March 10, 2004, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOrCh
Looking for people who are into cycling. I frequent beach drive on the weekends. Anyone up for a cycling ride? 20-25mph?
Next year I'll be able to ride with you. Maybe 21mph later this year. I just got a new mountain bike - looking for places to ride...

Bicycle courier, that's pretty f'n cool. When I moved out here 5 years ago the first thing I did was take my bike downtown. That's definitely the way to get around there. Carving through frustrated motorist is a blast!

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

March 10, 2004, 11:02 PM

Riding in groups is cool because you can have people alternate lead. I like drafting people

Its really incredible how much energy you conserve when riding behind a rider. On some stretches on beach, I can do 30-35mph for short periods, one time a guy was behind me drafting me and I didnt even realize it. I couldnt keep 30mph for long, and he took lead, after a while I gained enough energy to keep alternating.

What groups are you guys thinking of joining? Do you guys know of rides that go on weekly?

I head of a Sunday group ride from arlington to Maryland. But Cant ever find them!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 19, 2004, 02:43 PM

My road bike was a big part of my life, but then I sort of slacked off and ceased riding when I got my R6. I used to be pretty good. Did at minimum 15miles/day+a 100 on at least one of the weekend days. Spent winters riding on my rollers.

My health stats skyrocketed, and I think I would be fairly competitive in all the crit races I've attended as a spectator. (Didn't have a car to tow bike to races)

And guess what.... after 2+ years of inactivity, I dusted off my bike 2 weeks ago. I headed out to the local bike path and wanted to spin a little, and judge the working condition of the bike.

I realized how terribly I was riding. My cadence, endurance, and rythm are gone. I was riding the brake downhill because it felt fast, but when I looked on the cyclecomputer, I was going embarassingly slow.

Anyway, I never finished that ride because my rear tire blew out (I expected it, since the tubes have been drying for 2 years!). I plan to ride again, but don't expect to get back to my previous skill lever because I don't want to make 20-30 hour/week committment. I would rather carve canyons on my 600....
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 19, 2004, 03:10 PM

Group Ride Warning
I think we should post up some good rules for group rides. Here are a few I thought up:
- Remember all the hand signals
- Don't over ride your headlights
- Wet painted lines are slippery. Try not to cross them doing more than 10 mph
- Check all your hoses, lines, paint, and reflectors...someone was just injured on a metro ride because of that!!
- Always remember your sunscreen

sorry I couldn't resist

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

March 19, 2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6
Group Ride Warning
I think we should post up some good rules for group rides. Here are a few I thought up:
- Remember all the hand signals
- Don't over ride your headlights
- Wet painted lines are slippery. Try not to cross them doing more than 10 mph
- Check all your hoses, lines, paint, and reflectors...someone was just injured on a metro ride because of that!!
- Always remember your sunscreen

sorry I couldn't resist

I always use my sun block. Dont want to get skin cancer now.

I give tons of respect to cyclists. Its tough cycling, and making it look good. Not like those recreational cyclists who wobble from side to side when they get tired. After cycling, motorcycles are a walk in the park. I wish I could give as much respect to motorcyclists as I do to cyclists, but I dont. I think most motorcyclists, specially sport bikers are a bunch of cunts.
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

March 26, 2004, 07:48 AM

anybody do any street riding? not road riding, but street? we ride DC every thursday nite on mtbs and just tear it up. i broke my frame so i just filmed last thursday, here's the vid:

right-click and save-as

corey

blanksky.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to rideLIKEjehu Send a message via AIM to rideLIKEjehu  
Unread
  (#13)
Got my Permit

March 31, 2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLIKEjehu
anybody do any street riding? not road riding, but street? we ride DC every thursday nite on mtbs and just tear it up. i broke my frame so i just filmed last thursday, here's the vid:

right-click and save-as
That is a pretty cool video rideLIKEjehu....
Unread
  (#14)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 4, 2004, 05:07 PM

here are two cool videos.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~rchertov/RM.wmv
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~arnelson/all/Purdue03.wmv
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nonrider