DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 583
1 members and 582 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dakar Rally Cancelled.
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

Dakar Rally Cancelled. - January 4, 2008, 10:36 AM

The annual Dakar Rally, which was due to begin in Lisbon on Saturday, has been canceled because of safety concerns.

Nine of the motor rally's stages were to pass through Mauritania where four French tourists were murdered on December 24th. The attack was blamed on a terror group with links to al-Qaida, and the French government advised against any travel to the country.
Daniel Bilalian of France-Televisions, a TV partner of the endurance rally, told Europe-1 radio that "wisdom had prevailed," and the Dakar Rally had been called off.

The event is organized by the French-based Amaury Sport Organization (ASO). The multi-stage rally featuring cars and motorcycles was to have run until January 20th, with the finish in Dakar, Senegal.

This is the first time in the race's 30-year history that it has been canceled. In the past, only stages have been called off. Mali had already been excluded from the rally for security reasons.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

January 4, 2008, 10:37 AM

Beat me to it Adrian....

DAMN TERRORISTS...

look for Gordon's Hummer on ebay...

Lisbon, Friday the 4th of January 2008
A.S.O. cancels the 2008 edition of the Dakar rally

After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal’s capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.’s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world’s biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Largely Unsupervised....

January 4, 2008, 01:33 PM

Unbelievable.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#4)
Republicans for Voldemort

January 4, 2008, 02:00 PM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

This ruins my whole day..... FACK

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
Largely Unsupervised....

January 4, 2008, 02:44 PM

I had just scrambled to find out what stations were to televise the rally and programmed the DVR. I LOVE the Dakar. Damn.

SpeedTV will be airing a segment on New Zealand's Taupo 1000 Rally on Jan 25th. I haven't heard of it before...but it will have to do until the next Baja rallies.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/42241/

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#6)

January 4, 2008, 03:01 PM

Lots of $$ is poured into this event - it's where development of most ADV bikes come from - the KTM 950 was designed for this Rallye - it won so much they reduced the displacement to 800cc... Without it we wouldn't have the 950/990 series bikes....

If it become - we will put something together outta what we have - rather than making something specific for this rally - the ADV Bike Market will suffer greatly....

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

January 6, 2008, 09:36 PM

This fucking pisses me off!

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#8)

April 1, 2008, 01:58 PM

Good news... ASO - Amaury Sport Organization which looks after the DAKAR is moving up their schedule for a EU race thru Romania and Hungary April 20-26

http://www.centraleuroperally.com/20...r3_1-news.html

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider