DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 1,477
3 members and 1,474 guests
fxc3700, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dale City woman ran foster home for pets - 77 counts of animal cruelty.
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Dale City woman ran foster home for pets - 77 counts of animal cruelty. - August 10, 2010, 10:25 AM

If you see this article floating around, please realize that this article is one sided. I believe a competing adoption group called the police on this lady.

Be careful with what you read. Myself, my parents and another friend have adopted our wonderful dogs from this woman. She was very particular about who got the animals and would do home visits before allowing a family to adopt. In short,... she kept taking in animals so they would not be killed by the shelters. She got overwhelmed and could not get the animals adopted out. Her love for animals got the best of her. Please do not spread this around as if she was some animal hater or really cruel. I understand what happened, but its not always that simple.

Please read that the article SAYS that the animals are ALL in good condition and healthy with current shots.

I will be trying to goto court to speak on janets behalf b/c there are cruel people out there, but janet is NOT one of them.

Dale City woman ran foster home for pets | InsideNova.com

Quote:
DALE CITY, Va.—Police say Janet Lynne Hollins had too many dogs and cats in her Dale City townhouse.
But, those who know Hollins, who operates Janet’s Rescues and Placements, said she was only trying to help the animals.
Police searched Hollins’ home, at 3522 Buffalo Court in Dale City, on Wednesday and seized 27 dogs and 50 cats. They also took seven boxes containing adoption papers, animal medical records and pet pictures, and a computer, according to court records.
Hollins was charged with 77 counts of animal cruelty.
She could not be reached for comment Monday.
Since the charges were filed, those who know Hollins or have adopted pets from her have flocked to her support.
Lilly Pierce adopted a Pomeranian, Blue, from Janet’s Rescue and Placements four years ago.
“Our personal experience with her has been overwhelmingly positive,” said Pierce, who lives in Alexandria.
Pierce said she regularly saw Hollins and her animals at the Petsmart in Garrisonville, where Hollins held adoption events every Saturday.
Hollins requires prospective pet owners to go through a strict screening process, including an application and home visits, before she allowing them to adopt, said Pierce.
“It is not an immediate, impulse adoption that she allows,” said Pierce. “She’s very particular about who she adopts to.”
An e-mail sent by a rescue volunteer to supporters Monday asked them to donate money to help pay Hollins’ legal fees, to volunteer to serve as foster homes for the animals and to show support for Hollins.
“Janet is a good person. She has done nothing wrong. Everything she does is for the animals. Please help us help Janet,” the e-mail reads.
Some of the animals in Hollins’ home Wednesday were there because foster families who would normally house the animals were on vacation, according to the e-mail.
“I think Janet is so much more than a woman in Dale City who hoards animals,” Pierce said. “There’s absolutely no doubt in our mind, this woman loves animals. Does she have this dark side? I don’t see it.”
An affidavit on file in Prince William Circuit Court said police received a complaint about “70 or more animals” being in the house.
A police officer who responded to the townhouse saw “10 or more dogs” in the front window and “could hear numerous dogs barking in the lower level,” before entering the house, the affidavit states.
Police took the 77 animals to the Prince William County Animal Shelter, where they will stay until Hollins appears in court on Sept. 22.
The Prince William County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is collecting donations of money and food to help the shelter care for the animals while they are there. The group is also donating $1,000 to the shelter.
“We realize a lot of expenses are involved and we wanted to help out with that,” said PWSPCA President Melissa Korzuch.
Korzuch said she was concerned for the animals that had been in Hollins’ care.
“You cannot care for that many animals in a townhouse. I don’t think it’s fair for pets,” she said.
Korzuch said she is also concerned for other animals, who will now have less space at the shelter.
“There’s not an infinite number of spaces at the shelter. Some of the animals coming in between now and September will have to be euthanized,” she said. “It’s really important now for those animals to be adopted.”
Donations of food, including Venus Feline Life Advantage, Fromm Family Puppy and Solid Gold Wee Bits, can be taken to the Prince William County Animal Shelter, at 14807 Bristow Road, Manassas during regular business hours. Cash donations can be mailed to PWSPCA, “Shelter Fund,” P.O. Box 6631, Woodbridge, Va 22195. Donations can also be made through the PWSPCA website at http://www.pwspca.org.
Staff writer Amanda Stewart can be reached at 703-530-3908.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 10, 2010, 10:38 AM

sad
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Can't Find the Ditch

August 10, 2010, 10:40 AM

my wife has the same mentality, if we owned our current house she would be sheltering animals...I have three dogs, one cat, with three more cats downstairs that her sister has.

06 Honda F4I #36-Bought it back!
First Track Day 9/1/09
MARCC Supporter
TPM
Roger Lyle #36

WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

August 10, 2010, 10:46 AM

like i said, i understand how folks would be upset at that many animals. just want them to know how much this lady cares for animals.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

August 10, 2010, 11:02 AM

77 pets in a townhouse? Nutter.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

August 10, 2010, 11:04 AM

tl;dr

77 pets in a townhouse?

Nuts.

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 10, 2010, 11:38 AM

I seriously doubt any animal hoarder out there has any kind of intent to be cruel to their animals. They all just want to help and truly believe they are helping. The problem comes in that they don't know how to say no and that's when they become overwhelmed.

It's a sad situation all around.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

August 10, 2010, 12:14 PM

True.

Difference is at least Janet was trying to adopt them out. Some of the hoarders just keep taking them in with no intention of trying to get rid of them.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

August 10, 2010, 12:48 PM

This is soooo F'up! I fully understand county rules regualtions etc are in place to prevent animal hoarding which can be very harmful. But she was adopting them out and just got over whelmed. Yes she had too many but I don't understand how the county believes it's best to charge her with 77 counts when all animals where in good health, etc. Really???

How about a fine and no animals for one year so she can get a break and think it over before starting up again but without having so many animals in a townhouse.

They should instead apply the time, effort and money into jailing the scum bags that roam around Dale/woodbridge creating havoc.
The PWC shelter is less than a mile from my house and I have adopted a few of my four dogs from there. I'll stop by and see how I can help. I will also give a few bucks, towels, food etc to the shelter.

Why is it that many times people with good hearts get the short end of the stick?

Why is it that in the end the animals suffer the most? I am sure she is horrified knowing that shelter animals will be put down sooner due to over crowding creating by her trying to save the animals she had.

Last edited by Trireme; August 10, 2010 at 03:55 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
T.R.I.T.D.H

August 10, 2010, 12:50 PM

So do those that have posted up on the board think it's cruelty? or not?

I mean slaves were hoarded on ships and "adopted" to other owners under the impression that it was good to build our country and they would have a better life in America than Africa...

I really don't have an opinion animal cruelty...never owned a pet outside of a turtle, fish, and rabbitt. Maybe once I own a dog...if ever, I'll see the light on this whole protection of animals, but right now any non human animals is still subordinate to us.

And please don't let the above statement about black slaves throw you for a loop...it was a statement to compare WHAT ONE THOUGHT WAS RIGHT FOR SOMEONE/SOMETHING versus the REALITY that it really isn't. She thought she was helping the animals, but in reality she did not have enough space for 77 pets in her home...good intent can sometimes turn for the worse...and regardless one who is apt in their good intent will realize that their intent is no longer good anymore.

If an NFL player is paid to play for millions and they get hurt...but still try to play...and screw up everyplay b/c they can't move like they did when they were healthy...would they still be playing? or on the bench?

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

August 10, 2010, 12:59 PM

Oh an lastly....I'm sure this will get peoples hair to stick up...but it's how I feel...I'm sure these words can and will be twisted, contorted, and taken way further out of context than they are meant to be....

but things were placed on this earth for our use. Some domestic animals are pets, some are workers aids. If there gets to be too many then put them down. I mean on one hand you have all these advocates who saying breeding animals for pure profit is wrong....on the other you have people saying putting down stray animals b/c they are stray is wrong. well then what the fuck? There has to be some sort of control of domestic pets. I mean they all can't just live if there aren't enough people to properly take care of them. So they have to go somewhere...

And I don't want to hear any well replace pets with humans and see if you make sense garbage but pets aren't humans....if people who own pets think that you should treat them as such then you're just out of touch with life. Your pet shouldn't be sleeping in your bed, eating steak, and getting more manicures than Paris HIlton does...if a fucking pet.

If there are too many of them...then get rid of them. Euthanize them. enough said.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

August 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

TalkofDC,
I showed the light to a Philipino friend of mine who use to eat dog. I'm sure I can show you the way my little grasshopper. LOL

I think we should start putting some people down...they are just sucking up O2.

Some times putting animals down is the best choice.

It's not all either black or white...plenty of gray area involved.
Unread
  (#13)
Flight Risk

August 10, 2010, 02:34 PM

im srry to hear that a good hearted person is being treated this way.

but come on now, 27 dogs and 50 cats, thats alot. i mean just growing up with a cat
and dog was somewhat demanding in terms of food and waste. i dont really think
there should be any jail time but she needs some help. there comes a point where
caring to much can hurt.

Next... R1
11' GSXR 750 (stolen)
09' CBR 600RR (sold)
08' GSXR 750 (sold)
07' CBR 600RR (R.I.P)

Maybe I will stop next time.
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

August 10, 2010, 03:08 PM

Caring too much only hurts the person in the end.

Janet is a devoted animal rescuer and she just got behind the power curve.
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

August 10, 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty600 View Post
im srry to hear that a good hearted person is being treated this way.

but come on now, 27 dogs and 50 cats, thats alot. i mean just growing up with a cat
and dog was somewhat demanding in terms of food and waste. i dont really think
there should be any jail time but she needs some help. there comes a point where
caring to much can hurt.

All the animals were in good health due to about 50 or so volunteers who help her. Most of them are young kids.

Yes it was too many, but 77 counts of animal cruelty??!!

unfortunately now those animals are at the shelters she was trying to prevent them from going to and most will be killed.

So which is better? A shelter that will kill them after a certain number of days and kept in the same type of small crates and cages? Or with a woman who has over 50 volunteers and every saturday except for xmas and thanksgiving is at PETCO bringing a large majority of them to try to get adopted?

Alex
13 Honda Fury