DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
0 members and 522 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Damn France Air Dropping Supplies like that??????
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Damn France Air Dropping Supplies like that?????? - June 29, 2011, 09:40 AM

France armed civilians besieged by Gadhafi forces - Yahoo! News

France armed civilians besieged by Gadhafi forces

ARIS (AP) — France sent weapons this month to Libyan civilians under siege by Moammar Gadhafi's forces, a military spokesman said Wednesday, making it the first NATO country to announce it has armed rebel fighters.
The deliveries of guns, rocket-propelled grenades and munitions took place in early June in the western Nafusa mountains, when Gadhafi forces had encircled civilians and his government refused a U.N request to allow in a humanitarian aid shipment, Col. Thierry Burkhard said.
After informing the United Nations, France dropped humanitarian aid including water, food and medical supplies to besieged civilians in the region, but the situation then deteriorated further, he said.
"So France also dropped equipment that allowed them to defend themselves — self-defense assets — which is to say weapons and munitions," Burkhard told The Associated Press by phone.
The weapons were parachuted in by air and included "self-defense assets" like assault weapons, machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and munitions, he said.
France and Britain, backed by the United States, have been among the main powers behind a monthslong NATO-led air campaign to protect civilians from assaults by Gadhafi's forces.
In Brussels, a NATO official said that until now, no alliance member had shipped weapons to the rebels since the fighting started in the north African country in March.
Officials in the West and beyond have debated whether the U.N. resolution in March that authorized a no-fly zone over Libya and NATO's air campaign to protect civilians also left room for weapons shipments to rebels.
Italy's foreign minister, Franco Frattini, has made the case that U.N. resolutions on Libya did not prohibit providing weapons to the rebels, and said this spring that it was "morally justified" to aid the opposition.
Meanwhile, in London Wednesday, British Foreign Secretary William Hague said Libya's cash-strapped opposition has received donor funds to pay salaries to public-sector workers in rebel-held areas.
Last week, a first payment of $100 million in international aid money was made to Libya's main opposition group, based in the eastern city of Benghazi, Hague told lawmakers.
He said a meeting of the contact group in Istanbul next month would seek to ensure "the international community is ready to support the Libyan people in building a stable future."
Libya's Transitional National Council said that funds would be used to pay teachers, street cleaners and other workers providing essential services.
Opposition Finance Minister Ali Tarhouni has made repeated pleas for urgent funds, and warned on Tuesday that hospitals in the eastern city of Benghazi were running low on medical supplies.
___
Slobodan Lekic contributed from Brussels.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

June 29, 2011, 10:40 AM

Why not? The French certainly aren't going to use them.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 29, 2011, 10:44 AM

Am I the only one that wonders why a "rebel force" or "opposition" with a loosely defined governmental structure and also claiming to have "hold" of lands and voluntarily involved in an official war with the standing government can still be considered a group of "civilians"?

I agreed originally with supporting the actual innocent civilians. But when the militias/rebels armed themselves and started declaring ownership of lands then they are no different to the terrorists that live in Pakistan and hide themselves within the ranks of regular civilians. Carelessly putting them at risk of retaliatory responses. Send them food and supplies, not money and especially not guns. Anyone else see a repeat of Afghanistan's history?
Unread
  (#4)
The last urrbendah

June 29, 2011, 10:55 AM

^^ yep. My fear as well.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#5)
I'm a llama again!

June 29, 2011, 10:59 AM

Yeah I am not down with creating another army.
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a llama again!

June 29, 2011, 11:02 AM

But I also don't feel we should not be part of this at all. I have read the NATO treaty and it don't say shit about attacking other countries that are not attacking a member of NATO. Don't get me wrong I understand France has a huge interest in Libya sense they get something like 90% of there oil from them. But that shit is not our problem ether.
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

June 29, 2011, 11:08 AM

France has had a vested interest in North African for centuries.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 29, 2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Anyone else see a repeat of Afghanistan's history?
I dont see a foreign army invading and wiping out the infrastructure of a country, nor do I see a foreign army massacring thousands of people. This is a violent coup by the Libyan people against the Libyan government, assisted by NATO.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah

June 29, 2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

I dont see a foreign army invading and wiping out the infrastructure of a country, nor do I see a foreign army massacring thousands of people. This is a violent coup by the Libyan people against the Libyan government, assisted by NATO.
Kind of like what was supposed to happen in Iran?

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#10)
Meh

June 29, 2011, 11:40 AM

This has fubar written all over it.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 29, 2011, 11:42 AM

I wonder what type of weapons are being dropped?
Ak's or what the French Military use.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#12)
The last urrbendah

June 29, 2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79 View Post
Either way it's been dropped on more than one occasion.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

June 29, 2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79 View Post
AK's, 50mm, and 7.62mm ammo.

You have to deploy weapons systems that they are familiar with, trained on, and have parts for as well as ammo that works with the majority of weapons they are most likely to have in the field of operations.

Makes no sense to drop a bunch of FAMAS or FN Minis ...
Not to mention the reliability of French weaponry is not exactly reknown. :lol

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

June 29, 2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Either way it's been dropped on more than one occasion.
I see what you're doing.
French Military is a joke but the French Legionaires, they're crazy. They're not joke.

Unread
  (#15)
The last urrbendah

June 29, 2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I see what you're doing.
French Military is a joke but the French Legionaires, they're crazy. They're not joke.
I know right? You see that movie with Van Damme? Total badass!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F