DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
2 members and 538 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Darrell Scots tetimony to Congress (Columbine parent)
Unread
  (#1)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
Darrell Scots tetimony to Congress (Columbine parent) - April 5, 2007, 10:48 AM

>DARRELL SCOTT TESTIMONY
>
>Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell
>Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School
>shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House
>Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders
>during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
>
>They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It
>needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every
>sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These
>courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and
>deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying
>in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:
>
>"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts
>of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of
>violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the
>deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must
>not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
>
>"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out
>in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the
>NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the
>reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
>
>"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
>quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a
>member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not
>here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are
>responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they
>need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's
>murder I would be their strongest opponent.
>
>I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was
>a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame
>lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies
>behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just
>four nights ago that expresses my feelings best. This was written way
>before I knew I would be speaking here today:
>
>
>
>
>
>Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
>Your words are empty air.
>You've stripped away our heritage,
>You've outlawed simple prayer.
>Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
>And precious children die.
>You seek for answers everywhere,
>And ask the question "Why?"
>You regulate restrictive laws,
>Through legislative creed.
>And yet you fail to understand,
>That God is what we need!
>
>
>
>"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and
>spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we
>create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak
>havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational
>systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began
>as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to
>us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the
>doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's
>tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the
>NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to
>erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more
>restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal
>detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months
>planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own
>hearts.
>
>"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two
>friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in
>school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge
>every young person in America, and around the world, to realize that on
>April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our
>schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain.
>Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for
>legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To
>those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a
>sincere challenge. Dare to examine your
>own heart before casting the first stone!
>
>My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country
>will not allow that to happen!"
>
>Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech..
>Please send this out to everyone
>
>

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 10:58 AM

Waiting for the snopes checkers.

I entirely agree with the speech whether or not it is fake or not.
Unread
  (#3)
Agitator

April 5, 2007, 11:01 AM

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/scott.htm

The story is true, with these caveats:

Segment in question:
Quote:
>Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell
>Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School
>shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House
>Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders
>during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
>
>They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It
>needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every
>sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These
>courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and
>deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying
>in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:
Caveat from www.snopes.com:

Quote:
That Darrell Scott spoke the words attributed to him is fact. However, the opening and closing comments appended to the Internet-circulated version of them are misleading and erroneous.
What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful. They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well.
Darrell Scott didn't say anything to our "national leaders," nor is it true that his testimony was "not received well." Scott was not delivering testimony to a crowded House chamber full of incredulous, unprepared, and shocked Congressmen; he was talking to a few sub-committee members and a stenographer. He was only one of many people who gave testimony to the Subcommittee on Crime, and it's unlikely that most Congressmen heard what he said, or even knew that he had testified. His words certainly didn't prompt outrage from an unreceptive audience, as implied here.
It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert!
Why does everyone need to hear these words? Darrell Scott didn't say much of anything of substance beyond offering the opinion that gun control wouldn't have prevented the tragedy at Columbine, an opinion that had already been aired and debated by thousands of pundits in the weeks after the shootings at Littleton, and while his status as the parent of a murder victim may lend his words extra poignancy, it doesn't necessarily give him any special insight into the reasons why people kill. As well, much of his testimony was directed at creating the misleading impression that prayer is banned in public schools. (It isn't — only prayer organized or led by school officials is prohibited. Students in public schools can pray whenever they want, so long as they don't disrupt ordinary classroom activities.)
Segment in question:
Quote:
Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech..

Quote:
"The media" didn't prevent anyone from hearing Mr. Scott's speech; most news outlets simply didn't give it much coverage because it wasn't particularly newsworthy. As noted above, Mr. Scott really didn't offer much of substance, and what he did have to say had already been said earlier and louder by many others. Also as noted above, Mr. Scott was merely one of many people who gave testimony in front of the House Subcommittee on Crime in the wake of the Littleton shootings. Other parents of shooting victims spoke as well, but you won't find that fact acknowledged here, much less any indication of what they said. Why should their words be any less important than Darrell Scott's? (Perhaps the reason they're not mentioned is because their opinions didn't agree with Mr. Scott's, and therefore didn't agree with the opinions of whoever wrote the prologue and coda to this piece.) In spite of all that, Darrell Scott's speech was reported by the Associated Press and picked up by several big-city newspapers, hardly evidence of a hostile "media" conspiracy to suppress it and thereby prevent the world at large from hearing it. When someone speaks words that we truly need to hear, it isn't necessary to lie about them to get our attention.
Overall, I must agree with the snopes review...it was a powerful statement, however, it was one individuals statement. I agree that blame MUST not be put on the firearms aspect, however, placing blame on the lack of religion or religious expression? its difficult, as always, with any sensitive issue determining the amount of "blame" that can be applied to a "moral or religious societal breakdown", as the effect cannot be measured, there are two many variables. The only thing that I can see (societal behavior wise), that DOES have an effect (and its been proven), is that parents that shoulder an increased responsibility for their kids behaviors, and properly guide them tend to (statistically, there are always exceptions) have children who operate better in society (note, by this I DO NOT mean they become conformists, I merely mean that they operate under the generally societally accepted methods for dealing with issues...be it debate, cynical observation, etc...NOT mass murder)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#4)
Naked...it's the only way

April 5, 2007, 11:01 AM

BAH. Big freaking BAH on this pretentious preaching nutcase.

I have nothing but the deepest sympathies for him as a father of a little girl myself, but this religious crap just sickens me.
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven
BAH. Big freaking BAH on this pretentious preaching nutcase.

I have nothing but the deepest sympathies for him as a father of a little girl myself, but this religious crap just sickens me.
I would hardly consider what he said lumps him into the "pretentious preaching nutcase" category. Those were heartfelt remarks about what he felt were some of the conditions surronding the Columbine tragedy and he, more than most, is entitled to every word. People that didn't loose a loved one in that event have had far more to say that was of less substance.
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/scott.htm

The story is true, with these caveats:

Segment in question:

Segment in question:

Overall, I must agree with the snopes review...it was a powerful statement, however, it was one individuals statement. I agree that blame MUST not be put on the firearms aspect, however, placing blame on the lack of religion or religious expression? its difficult, as always, with any sensitive issue determining the amount of "blame" that can be applied to a "moral or religious societal breakdown", as the effect cannot be measured, there are two many variables. The only thing that I can see (societal behavior wise), that DOES have an effect (and its been proven), is that parents that shoulder an increased responsibility for their kids behaviors, and properly guide them tend to (statistically, there are always exceptions) have children who operate better in society (note, by this I DO NOT mean they become conformists, I merely mean that they operate under the generally societally accepted methods for dealing with issues...be it debate, cynical observation, etc...NOT mass murder)
I find it interesting what the new media deems "newsworthy". The last 6 weeks have been categorically dominated by the press surronding Anna Nicole Smith and the circumstance of her death and her daughters paternity. Couple that with the fact that people like Rosie O'Donnell are given a stage to voice their baseless ideas about 911 conspiracies and the civil rights of terrorist plotters.
Unread
  (#7)
Knarly Adventurer

April 5, 2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
I would hardly consider what he said lumps him into the "pretentious preaching nutcase" category. Those were heartfelt remarks about what he felt were some of the conditions surronding the Columbine tragedy and he, more than most, is entitled to every word. People that didn't loose a loved one in that event have had far more to say that was of less substance.
Agreed

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#8)

April 5, 2007, 12:24 PM

I think you guys are blindly missing the point of his statements. He is blaming the tragedy on a lack of Christian beliefs in the country. Plain and simple. While he is correct to not blame things such as the NRA he is doing little more than preaching.

And again, let me reiterate, I have nothing but the deepest sorrows for his loss. I could not fathom it but I can guarantee that I wouldn't whine that it happened because they don't pray in public schools.
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

April 5, 2007, 12:44 PM

This, by his mistake or ours, is not about christianity. It is about the moral obscurity that has developed in this country where moral foundations ARE being erroded by secular ambiguity. I really think this has little to do with actual Christianity, as we can generally assume that Religious Christianity has done as much damage by validating wrongs through religious justification (ie - burn the witch) and is not the end-all answer.

Arguing Christianity is pointless, but I think his thoughts on loss of morality on a societal level can definately be seen.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; April 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I think you guys are blindly missing the point of his statements. He is blaming the tragedy on a lack of Christian beliefs in the country. Plain and simple. While he is correct to not blame things such as the NRA he is doing little more than preaching.

And again, let me reiterate, I have nothing but the deepest sorrows for his loss. I could not fathom it but I can guarantee that I wouldn't whine that it happened because they don't pray in public schools.
And you are missing my point. People preach all the time about what is wrong with the country and why. He is equally as entitled to his opinion that the lack of faith in this country was causal to his daughters death and Columbine in general. That does not make him a "pretentious preaching nutcase"

He makes references to faith and God. There is no mention of Christ and therefore your characterization of it as Christian belief is also flawed. Was he referring to Christian belief systems, probably, however he left it fairly open to include all those persons that choose to believe in God. He only makes a brief reference to the story of Cain and Abel but beyond that his remarks are entirely broad based about God.

At no point did he say that lack of Christian belief systems were the reason for this tragedgy, but a gradual erosion of faith. You might want to re-read the comments before making harse criticisims of them.
Unread
  (#11)

April 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
And you are missing my point. People preach all the time about what is wrong with the country and why. He is equally as entitled to his opinion that the lack of faith in this country was causal to his daughters death and Columbine in general. That does not make him a "pretentious preaching nutcase"

He makes references to faith and God. There is no mention of Christ and therefore your characterization of it as Christian belief is also flawed. Was he referring to Christian belief systems, probably, however he left it fairly open to include all those persons that choose to believe in God. He only makes a brief reference to the story of Cain and Abel but beyond that his remarks are entirely broad based about God.

At no point did he say that lack of Christian belief systems were the reason for this tragedgy, but a gradual erosion of faith. You might want to re-read the comments before making harse criticisims of them.
You don't for one second believe that he wasn't referring to Christianity, do you?

I never said he isn't entitled to his opinions, and I certainly wouldn't say he had no right to make that speach. I'm just saying that he is blaming this on the country's lack of "God", and that is pure ignorance. Athiests can be and are just as moral as any bible-thumper, so his argument is irrelevant. More pain and death in this world has happened and continues to happen because of religion, so it makes no sense to blame Columbine on a lack of faith in the community. Those douchebags would have done it regardless.

Someone should have asked him where was his god when his innocent daughter got shot... must have been napping. Heart goes out to any grieving parent but even a loss like that doesn't give anyone the right to turn my nation into a theocracy. Hopefully the youth of this nation will not buy this drivel.

Last edited by draven; April 5, 2007 at 01:23 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You don't for one second believe that he wasn't referring to Christianity, do you?

Didn't I reference that in my previous post

I never said he isn't entitled to his opinions, and I certainly wouldn't say he had no right to make that speach. I'm just saying that he is blaming this on the country's lack of "God", and that is pure ignorance. Athiests can be and are just as moral as any bible-thumper, so his argument is irrelevant. More pain and death in this world has happened and continues to happen because of religion, so it makes no sense to blame Columbine on a lack of faith in the community. Those douchebags would have done it regardless.

You are trying to make a direct link to the people that shot those children and them not having God in their lives is not what he is talking about . Pain and suffering in this world happens strictly as a result of peoples approach and mis-understanding of religion. The specific misuse of Religion is used to exploit and manipulate otherwise impressionable people. Again, he is not talking about Religion here, but God.

Someone should have asked him where was his god when his innocent daughter got shot... must have been napping.

I would happily give you specific scriptural references that pertain to that very question if you would like to read them. The tone of your question leads me to think that you might not.

Heart goes out to any grieving parent but even a loss like that doesn't give anyone the right to turn my nation into a theocracy.

Where is he suggesting that we turn into a theocracy...? He references the abadonment of faith in this country and the securlarization of everything as Ben mentionned earlier. You have zero idea of what a theocracy actually is if you are suggesting that what we were as a nation previously was that. The heartfelt ring of your sympathy is a little hollow when you attack his faith as drivel and suggest that "his" God was napping when his daughter was shot.

Hopefully the youth of this nation will not buy this drivel.

Well with the "evolvement" of the youth in this country to the intellectual heights of Paris Hilton and the other idiots that wallpaper the popular culture spectrum...I think they could do worse. Welcome the MTV/reality TV nation. What exactly is it that you are pushing..??
See above in bold.
Unread
  (#13)

April 5, 2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I would happily give you specific scriptural references that pertain to that very question if you would like to read them..
I can see you are a religious person and I do not want to (further) offend you or anyone who shares your views so I will attempt to bow out gracefully now. While I love these debates in real life, I can not argue with a complete stranger about such things.
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

April 5, 2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I can see you are a religious person and I do not want to (further) offend you or anyone who shares your views so I will attempt to bow out gracefully now. While I love these debates in real life, I can not argue with a complete stranger about such things.
Don't confuse religous with a belief in God. Two totally different things.
Unread
  (#15)

April 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Don't confuse religous with a belief in God. Two totally different things.
you just won't stop will you.

Definitions of religious on the Web:
  • concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church; "religious texts"; "a member of a religious order"; "lords temporal and spiritual"; "spiritual leaders"; "spiritual songs"
  • having or showing belief in and reverence for a deity; "a religious man"; "religious attitude"
  • a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience