DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 188
2 members and 186 guests
2blueyam, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dealer Wants $170-ish for New Key. Know a Locksmith Who Can Do Cheaper?
Unread
  (#1)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

Dealer Wants $170-ish for New Key. Know a Locksmith Who Can Do Cheaper? - May 2, 2013, 12:03 PM

New Ford PU truck, bought it used. I fucked up when making the deal, just assumed there were two keys. If I had realized that, a 2nd key included would have been part of the deal. Nope, just one.

Went to Sheehy Ford in Gaitherssburg, they said about $170 to program the 2nd key since I only have one. If I had two keys, I could program the 3rd myself.

I hear locksmiths can make chipped keys. Anyone have that done and can recommend someone?

Of course I can always stash the key close by the steering wheel and use regular keys to start it. But I'd really like to have a 2nd key w/o doing that.

Thanks, in advance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

Check lowes and home depot. They stock the new fangled keys. I don't have a new fangled key so I only know what the guys at the stores told me (recently got some new keys for my truck).
Unread
  (#3)
to be continued......

May 2, 2013, 12:16 PM

If its one you have to program your not gonna find it at lowes or auto parts store.. did you give Gaithersburg any personal information. I work for Sheehy just not that one and might be able to get you a discount

Marrc Safety Crew
http://www.marrc.org/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Newgirlie Send a message via AIM to Newgirlie  
Unread
  (#4)
Ride naked.

May 2, 2013, 02:25 PM

i had a chipped key copied at a kiosko in potomac mills mall a few years back. dunno if they are still there. it was right outside the food court. worked fine.

2010 Kawasaki ER-6n | heavily modded then sold then bought back
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

May 2, 2013, 02:32 PM

This happened when my gf bought her Nissan at sheehy.

We went back in a few days and asked if she could get a new fob or whatever it is(push button start) and they ordered her a new one at no charge.

Maybe call the dealership you got it at, if that wasn't the one you already contacted, and ask them.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#6)
100% Kawasaki Biased

May 2, 2013, 02:48 PM

I programmed my key myself and I only had one key (this is on a Caddy though). Simply got the blank cut, started the car with the good key with the new key on the console and then the new key started the car right up. You might be able to do the same if you read around. I only needed the dealer to get the fob programmed (which I never did).

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.

Last edited by Thomas; May 2, 2013 at 02:51 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
to be continued......

May 2, 2013, 03:05 PM

Camelhumps what Sheehy did you buy from? and im sure if you did call the dealer and raise a lil rukus you would probably get it.. FYI most used cars dont come with two unless previous owner gives them two... crazy how that is

Marrc Safety Crew
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Newgirlie Send a message via AIM to Newgirlie  
Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

May 2, 2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgirlie View Post
Camelhumps what Sheehy did you buy from? and im sure if you did call the dealer and raise a lil rukus you would probably get it.. FYI most used cars dont come with two unless previous owner gives them two... crazy how that is
Sheehy Nissan on Liberia in Manassas

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Unread
  (#9)
to be continued......

May 2, 2013, 03:33 PM

Well hopefully they treated you right ... thats where I work

Marrc Safety Crew
Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

May 2, 2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgirlie View Post
Well hopefully they treated you right ... thats where I work
Yea, they always do. We've purchased 3 vehicles from you guys over the past 5 years.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:

Unread
  (#11)
to be continued......

May 2, 2013, 03:45 PM

Ok good I didnt wanna have to go up front and yell!

Marrc Safety Crew
Unread
  (#12)
On vacation

May 2, 2013, 04:20 PM

Ace Hardware now stocks the chipped keys for most vehicles. They're about $70 for my 08 IIRC. I'm sure yours would be pretty similar.

Edit: That's most vehicles minus the laser cut ones. They need to have teeth all the way through so the Lexus, Beemer, Benz keys they can't do. Ford they should have though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#13)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

May 2, 2013, 04:22 PM

The dealer is lying through their teeth. You can easily program the key yourself...

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#14)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

May 2, 2013, 05:47 PM

The truck was bought used from DARCars Volvo. I just went to Sheehy Ford since its close by. Sales guy at DarCars says he's trying to contact the former owner to see if he still has that 2nd key. If not, sales guy says he will uses his discount to help me out w/ a second key purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgirlie
I work for Sheehy just not that one and might be able to get you a discount
Newgirlie, if it doesn't work out, I will PM you, if you by chance could pull some strings for me at Sheehy Ford, I'd be grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
The dealer is lying through their teeth. You can easily program the key yourself...
I don't beleive that to be the case. Owners manual says.... you need a min of two working keys to program addtl keys. If only one working key is available, the dealer will have to program the 2nd. Once two working keys are available owner can program up to 8 keys max.

And that is what the dealer also stated. I'll ask some questions on the Ranger forums to confirm that.

Last edited by morsetaper2; May 2, 2013 at 05:51 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

May 3, 2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
I don't beleive that to be the case. Owners manual says.... you need a min of two working keys to program addtl keys. If only one working key is available, the dealer will have to program the 2nd. Once two working keys are available owner can program up to 8 keys max.

And that is what the dealer also stated. I'll ask some questions on the Ranger forums to confirm that.
This is true, my 2001 Sport Trac says the same thing in the manual. I was quoted $80 for a third key. I don't know why people don't turn in both keys when they sell, it's just common courtesy.