DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
3 members and 567 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Death Row Inmates on MySpace
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Death Row Inmates on MySpace - November 17, 2006, 02:36 PM

Red Herring has an interesting story about inmates on death row in Texas maintaining MySpace profiles.
They aren't directly on MySpace, of course -- there's no wi-fi on death row. But at least 34 of the 390 people awaiting execution in Texas have MySpace accounts maintained by friends or family.
That riles Andy Kahan, director of the crime and victims office for Houston Mayor Bill White. Kahan wrote a letter to MySpace last week asking the company to take down those profiles, according to the article. "You don't have to allow convicted killers on death row the opportunity to legitimize themselves and influence young minds that are easily manipulated," he's quoted as saying.
MySpace, to its credit, has declined Kahan's request.
The article mentions my story from last month about registered sex offenders on MySpace, and quotes Kahan as agreeing with me that MySpace should be doing more to police its site.
It's great to have Kahan on my side, if a bit puzzling, since he thinks I should be banned too. He's hoping for "guidelines within MySpace to prevent convicted felons [from] airing their thoughts and grievances for the world to see."
I have plenty of thoughts and grievances about Kahan. For one, his complaint is a transparent assault on speech he happens to dislike. Nothing more.
The problem with pedophiles on MySpace is that some are using the site as a first step in physically victimizing children and teens. There's no danger of a death row inmate killing anyone over the internet. It's not a public safety issue.
As for kids having their minds warped by the words of murderers Well, here's the most recent journal entry from death row inmate Randy Halprin's MySpace page.
On Friday the 3rd, the warden came walking around. It was a very chilly morning and the warden was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a thick coat as he walked down the run. A few inmates asked, "Hey, warden. When we gonna get our jackets?" The warden, fine protector of justice that he is, barks, "It ain't cold!" and keeps walking. Another inmate yelled, "Well, it's cold enough for you to be in a winter jacket!" The warden pays no attention to this and keeps on walking.
Must resist urge to go on killing spree
If Kahan doesn't approve of what the inmates are posting, he can lobby to get them killed faster. That'll shut them up. Especially those nagging, whining innocent people on death row. Since 1973, there've been 123 cases in which someone sentenced to death was later exonerated. Imagine what their MySpace profiles would look like. "Thanks for the add. Please GET ME OUT OF HERE!!"

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather