DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
5 members and 561 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW, Slider, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dell or HP?
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Dell or HP? - August 7, 2009, 01:31 PM

My parents want a new laptop, so i have spec'd out two laptops for them:

An HP Pavillion dv6t and a Dell inspiron 13.

Based on the requirements set forth by the folks and price max, these two are what Ive narrowed it down to.

Being an IT nerd, ive had to support the whole range of machines. For the past 5 years, my office has gotten Dell's due to the gov't discount. As of late it seems the Dell's have gone in the shitter, while HP seems to be building decent affordable machines.

I am pretty sure I am going with the HP, but wanted other techie nerds to weigh in on the two. Please dont recommend other manufact or other models, these two are it.

Just want to know if you are in agreement that dell has gone to shit as of late and HP is the better choice.

machines:

Dell for $675.00

Quote:
Inspiron 13

Date 8/7/2009 1:29:36 PM Central Standard TimeCatalog Number 29 Retail 19Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU IdSystem Color:
Pacific Blue BLUE 1 [330-0926] 2Inspiron 13:
Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache) PB42HN 1 [224-4014] 1OPERATING SYSTEM(s):
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 VHP31E 1 [330-1016][420-6436][420-6576][420-7622][420-7938][420-9100][420-9106][420-9108][421-0323][421-0427][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][421-1193][463-2282] 11Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed):
Microsoft® Works 9 IOHSWKE 1 [421-1358] 22Hardware Support Services:
Classic Protection: 1 yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service CLRR1 1 [903-0949][950-9057][960-2780][989-0990][990-7989][991-0977] 29Display and Camera:
Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/ 2.0M pixel Camera CXGA 1 [320-6853][420-8223][420-8822] 5Memory:
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (2 Dimms) 4G2D8 1 [317-0166] 3Hard Drives:
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 320GB 1 [341-7338] 8Combo or DVD+RW Drive:
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive) 8XDVDRW 1 [313-6617][420-8183][421-0542] 16Primary Battery:
37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell) 4BAT 1 [312-0750] 27Wireless Networking:
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card DW1395 1 [430-2680] 19Video Card:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 INTAC 1 [320-6856] 6Adobe Software:
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 ADOBER 1 [410-1883] 15Processor Branding:
Intel Pentium® Dual-Core Processor ID3CNB 1 [330-5126] 749Labels:
Windows Vista™ Premium VPN 1 [310-8628] 750Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed):
McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial MC1030D 1 [410-2184] 25Datasafe:
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year DOB2GB 1 [420-9518][988-0099][988-7707] 34Dell Remote Access:
Dell Remote Access, free basic service DRAFB 1 [420-9800][993-1919] 813Entertainment and Editing Software:
WildTangent Games WLDTNG 1 [420-9352] 195Dial-Up Internet Access:
No ISP requested NISP 1 [412-0148] 37

HP for $629

Quote:
  • Espresso Black
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
  • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.1GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
  • FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
  • 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1366x76
  • LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
  • [For BrightView Infinity Display] Webcam Only
  • Wireless-G Card
  • No TV Tuner w/remote control
  • HP Color Matching Keyboard
  • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • No Modem
  • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Ninja in Training....

August 7, 2009, 01:37 PM

HP FTW.....Dell is just doing a mass production thing as it seems there more about quantity versus quality in my opinion....And because of that they have more warranty work done to their laptops than any other I have worked with. IMO

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

August 7, 2009, 01:39 PM

Dell.

Hate HP/Compaq. Worked on them for a couple years and it was a PITA reformatting, installing hardware, etc. That was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed recently.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Ninja in Training....

August 7, 2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post
Dell.

Hate HP/Compaq. Worked on them for a couple years and it was a PITA reformatting, installing hardware, etc. That was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed recently.
Haha you are talking working on them after the change over when they were shipping the compaq parts as replacements for HP and had no baseline on their machines...Yeah that was a PITA fa sho...

- Craig

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

August 7, 2009, 01:44 PM

I was just recently talking to a computer contractor I know and with a few others. I think HP would be the better choice but Dell has better support. If you are going to be their support I would say HP.
If not, Dell. I have used all Dell for the past 10 years and I really don't seem to have any problems with them. The HP servers I have used are top notch.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

August 7, 2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner78 View Post
HP FTW.....Dell is just doing a mass production thing as it seems there more about quantity versus quality in my opinion....And because of that they have more warranty work done to their laptops than any other I have worked with. IMO

That has been my experience. For 3 years in a row we have gotten a batch of 10 to 15 laptops. Every year, at least 5 of them had to go back right away due to all kinds of issues. The rest, i swear every few months 2 or 3 of them go back for replacement.

We have about 10 HP's. Only had to replace bad Hard drives, but that is the norm....

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

August 7, 2009, 01:45 PM

oh yeah, FAQ compaq. We had Compaq servers in 2000 and they were a BITCH to replace shit and they sucked. We had to replace power supplies every 6 months..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Ninja in Training....

August 7, 2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
That has been my experience. For 3 years in a row we have gotten a batch of 10 to 15 laptops. Every year, at least 5 of them had to go back right away due to all kinds of issues. The rest, i swear every few months 2 or 3 of them go back for replacement.

We have about 10 HP's. Only had to replace bad Hard drives, but that is the norm....
Yep, I hope they change to Segate hard drives next year instead of the the western digifail they are currently using for their desktops...

- Craig

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

August 7, 2009, 01:48 PM

poop load of on this site and only 2 of you respond?

oh yeah its friday..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
Ninja in Training....

August 7, 2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

oh yeah its friday..
Yep and on that note its 3p time for me to leave on this lovely friday.....gonna go :ride:

- Craig

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
Unread
  (#11)
Like a clown car on fire

August 7, 2009, 01:54 PM

I didn't even see the specs... HP wins... mainly because Dell automatically loses.. I had so much trouble, stress and hard time buying 3 netbooks from them, than i will never buy or recommend a dell to anyone... They could have made me happy by simply including the $2 part that I paid $25 for... but no, instead I got to have hours of time on hold and talking to semi-rude indian folk... and no part, even after they finally agreed to send it.

this will bite them in the ass when I'm speccing parts for my agency's video recording systems. That $2 part will cost them millions in lost sales of servers and drives.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#12)
Say Jur Oh

August 7, 2009, 01:58 PM

HP has been cranking out some nice laptops lately.

I think this one is a no-brainer though. You've got a dual core vs a core 2 duo. They're at basically the same clock speeds, but the core 2 duo has twice the level 2 cache. Also, the "duo" processors have both cores on a single die. Less heat and more power savings.

Typically the dual core processors are cheaper than the "premium" duo line, but if you can get a duo for the price of a dual core, there's no reason to get the dual core.

With the HP you get the next generation graphics accelerator. The chip in the Dell is circa 2007. The X4500 HD is DirectX 10 compatible, more shaders, and more clock speed.

EDIT: Supposedly the x3100 in the Dell is DX10 compatible with a driver update.. the 4500 will still outperform it.

This thing isn't going to play Crysis (if your parents are in to that sort of thing) but it will do everything better than the Dell, for less money.

You've got a 6 cell battery over a 4 cell.

You've got a 16 inch screen over a 13.3

Everything else is a wash.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed

Last edited by Seijirou; August 7, 2009 at 02:05 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#13)
Say Jur Oh

August 7, 2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

oh yeah its friday..

Haha, hey man this thread was half as long when I started posting. I just took the time to double check and make sure I had my facts straight before I opened my mouth

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

August 7, 2009, 02:03 PM

I definitely knew the processor and video was older. screen size were not as much an importance b/c most the time it will be plugged into a bigger flat screen monitor. Price wise, the HP came out on top b/c of specs, but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that thought Dell in general has gone to poop.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already knew.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#15)
Say Jur Oh

August 7, 2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I definitely knew the processor and video was older. screen size were not as much an importance b/c most the time it will be plugged into a bigger flat screen monitor. Price wise, the HP came out on top b/c of specs, but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that thought Dell in general has gone to poop.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already knew.

Any time!

Quote:
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed