DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 614
1 members and 613 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dems begin push for withdrawal from Iraq
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Dems begin push for withdrawal from Iraq - November 15, 2006, 01:06 PM

Top General Warns Against Iraq Timetables

Democrat Wants Troop Withdrawal Timetable, General Says That Would Hinder Troop Management

The top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee and the top U.S. general in the Middle East squared off Wednesday over the future of the Iraq war. The senator demanded a schedule for troop withdrawal, while the general asked for "flexibility."

The Bush administration must tell Iraq that U.S. troops will begin withdrawing in four to six months, Democratic Sen. Carl Levin, the next chairman of the committee, said as Congress began re-examining U.S. Iraq policy in the aftermath of last week's Democratic election victory.

"We cannot save the Iraqis from themselves. The only way for Iraqi leaders to squarely face that reality is for President Bush to tell them that the United States will begin a phased redeployment of our forces within four to six months," Levin said at the outset of a hearing featuring Gen. John Abizaid.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2183034.shtml

Looks like the Dems are following up on the mandate to get out of Iraq with a quickness. (I say that, because nearly all exit polls show the election was primarily about Iraq).

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 15, 2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Looks like the Dems are following up on the mandate to get out of Iraq with a quickness.
Not to call it gutless, but it's easy for them to demand the withdrawal since they don't have the power to make it happen. I wonder if they were in charge if they would pull out knowing it would mean the collapse of the country.

Last edited by rdg; November 15, 2006 at 01:30 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
singin sweet home alabama

November 15, 2006, 01:40 PM

Don't know about your question Steve, but I think this is more of a pressure tactic.

I think the strategy is to start a fire under the Administration such that some sort of time-constraints are added. I manage a lot of IT projects, so I've gotten a lot of training on setting project goals, milestones, and determining metrics etc and time is ALWAYS a critical factor in those classes. The current strategy of "stay the course" and we remain "as long as it takes" is a simple example of a poorly defined objective.

Naturally, the Military doesn't want withdrawal. They don't feel like they are done being Iraq is still unstable. Using the same logic however, we could very well be there for a decade or more.

There clearly should be a time where, regardless of the situation in Iraq, we leave. Is anyone advocating that we stay there forever if "that's what it takes"?

Anyhow, I think its good to see some withdrawal pressure beginning to spring up.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8