DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
0 members and 571 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Depression--Question
Unread
  (#1)
T.R.I.T.D.H

Depression--Question - February 8, 2011, 11:50 AM

Anyone suffer from drepression...

I understand it can be a personal thing, so if no one responds I get it....

But I guess what I don't get is, What is the difference between being depressed and just between a rock and a hard place in life?

I mean I've been having this conversation with someone at work and like I don't want to over step my bounds with them because I maybe ignorant...

I guess I always had the perspective that life IS hard and not everything is gravey so eventually you will hit lows. Ride it out until you can make a change to get back to level ground or a high....but I don't get the have to take medication etc b/c of being depressed?

I definitely understand if you have some severe mental disorder or something but doens't everybody get depressed maybe at some point or another in life?

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 11:53 AM

It has to do with chemical changes in the brain.

Essentially, for me, spending 16 months on "high alert" and constantly waiting for bad shit to happen caused some chemical inbalances.

All your emotions are nothing more than different combinations of chemicals in your brain. Essentially, someone who is depressed has lost the ability to properly regulate these chemicals.

One type of antidepressant is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor. Here's the wikipedia explanation: SSRIs are believed to increase the extracellular level of the neurotransmitter serotonin by inhibiting its reuptake into the presynaptic cell, increasing the level of serotonin in the synaptic cleft available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor

Altering levels of seratonin can alter mood significantly.

Anyways, the difference between depression and "life being tough" is often that a depressed person has lost (or lessened) the ability of their brains to feel better when things get better. Or, the sadness is compounded and felt more than maybe it should be.

It's all the brain and chemicals.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 8, 2011, 11:55 AM

Clinical depression can actually be a chemical imbalance in the brain.
No amount of good times is going to cure it.

The other type you describe like getting fired and being out of work for 3 months down in the dumps funk is different and you can get out of that with a good attitude and different outlook on life but they are 2 different things.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 11:56 AM

Also, I reserve the right to point to this post as evidence that I can give you a reasonable answer when your question is reasonable

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#5)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

February 8, 2011, 12:00 PM

what you want to know...

been this way since 14yoish... didnt see a Dr about it till i was 28yo. i was on meds but didnt like the false feeling of butter flys. i had to go thru 1 day of stomach hurting like hell, one day of jitters like nervousness... then about 3 days of false feelings of joy...

I was drawing soooo much gothic and dark art back then that i couldnt create anymore.

I stop the meds and increased my cardio routeen....its why i goto the gym and bicycle like a mad man..the Endorphines lifts my spirits for a few days. Adrenaline do the same thing so i search for Good at 189mph. I havent found him yet but i find the cure to my alement.

Depression isnt anything to be ashamed about...i use to keep it hidden until about 2003 or so.

Now you know why i've been tagged EMO-Moe lol

its in me..I deal with it.
and when i start to get use to my Fixes (gym/motorcycle/bicycle) I just go longer or faster.

Gym tonight... 5pm to 8:45 straight with one 15 minute break. The Endorphines will last me till thursday...then i go back for my fix.

Cant wait for the warm weather..bicycles and motorcycles...

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 8, 2011, 12:00 PM

So what is the difference between the chemical imbalance in the brain in Clinical depression and I guess, "life" depression (lost job and dog died in same week type shit)....

Like is the chemical in the brain acting in the same way in both? If so, then what prevents a person with clinical depression from "getting back up" versus a person who just happens to be depressed???

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
So what is the difference between the chemical imbalance in the brain in Clinical depression and I guess, "life" depression (lost job and dog died in same week type shit)....

Like is the chemical in the brain acting in the same way in both? If so, then what prevents a person with clinical depression from "getting back up" versus a person who just happens to be depressed???
The brain producing too much of one chemical or not enough of another is why they can't "get back up"

Sometimes drugs can correct it, sometimes therapy. It depends on the case.

In my case, my brain got so used to being ready to spring into action, and got so used to expecting to die, that when I got back it didn't work right.

I wish i could explain it better... here's a good write up of the difference between just "feeling bad" and clinical depression: An Explanation of Depression: Occasionally Feeling Depressed is Not the Same as Having Depression

EDIT: you're right though, the chemicals act in much the same way in both. Clinical depression is really just the lack of the ability to fix it.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 12:04 PM

Here's some info on the specific chemical interactions: Depression’s Chemical Imbalance Explained | Psych Central News

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 8, 2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post
Also, I reserve the right to point to this post as evidence that I can give you a reasonable answer when your question is reasonable

hey, I stated that may be I'm ignorant....

and I mean with all my deepest sentiments, I don't mean to offend anyone. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. and I won't know if it
's unreasonable question to ask or not b/c I'm trying to grasp a better understanding of something that I don't get.

part of the reason that I brought it to the board. I have to work with the other person. I don't have to work with you all...lol...and I'm sure I've offend or not people in the past on certain things, but again it's an open forum so I'm not making this disclaimer so I can go free for all, but I hope that you can read into my point here...???

Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 8, 2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Easiest terms, one you can control the other you can not.

You can get your mind off of the dog dying or keep a positive outlook that you will eventually find another job and keep living.

Clinical Depression is a constant state of feeling a certain way and no matter what experience you have you still feel down. You need something to straighten it out. Drugs help many, many don't like those feelings either and others like Von have found a way for the body to produce another chemical that helps...

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
hey, I stated that may be I'm ignorant....

and I mean with all my deepest sentiments, I don't mean to offend anyone. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. and I won't know if it
's unreasonable question to ask or not b/c I'm trying to grasp a better understanding of something that I don't get.

part of the reason that I brought it to the board. I have to work with the other person. I don't have to work with you all...lol...and I'm sure I've offend or not people in the past on certain things, but again it's an open forum so I'm not making this disclaimer so I can go free for all, but I hope that you can read into my point here...???
I getcha. I'm glad you came into this discussion trying to learn more, versus making assumptions.

I'll be glad to answer anything i can from my experience with it.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#12)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 8, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post
The brain producing too much of one chemical or not enough of another is why they can't "get back up"

Sometimes drugs can correct it, sometimes therapy. It depends on the case.

In my case, my brain got so used to being ready to spring into action, and got so used to expecting to die, that when I got back it didn't work right.

I wish i could explain it better... here's a good write up of the difference between just "feeling bad" and clinical depression: An Explanation of Depression: Occasionally Feeling Depressed is Not the Same as Having Depression

EDIT: you're right though, the chemicals act in much the same way in both. Clinical depression is really just the lack of the ability to fix it.
okay...gonna read those links after lunch...

Another question: Genetics...

If Clinical Depression is genetically passed...and we all have the ability to be depressed by one event or another in life then HOW can a person who is in that bloodline (of having chemical depression) know that it's the clinical part of depression hitting them or if it's the life side of depression???

Is that a legit question?

Like if a person has depresssion in their bloodline then how do they know they are realizing that bloodline OR they are just depressed b/c of their current position in life???

Unread
  (#13)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 8, 2011, 12:10 PM

Also some drugs have sexual side effects that the person taking them have no desire at all. This then can lead to a worse depression, some stop taking it just for this reason alone. It can be a tough balancing act.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#14)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 8, 2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Easiest terms, one you can control the other you can not.

You can get your mind off of the dog dying or keep a positive outlook that you will eventually find another job and keep living.

Clinical Depression is a constant state of feeling a certain way and no matter what experience you have you still feel down. You need something to straighten it out. Drugs help many, many don't like those feelings either and others like Von have found a way for the body to produce another chemical that helps...

Got it....

see my other question about the genetics and knowing the difference between the two...

Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

February 8, 2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Also some drugs have sexual side effects that the person taking them have no desire at all. This then can lead to a worse depression, some stop taking it just for this reason alone. It can be a tough balancing act.
That's precisely what happened to me.

Me: Doc, I don't want to take these any more.

Him: But you're depressed

Me: I'm depressed because i can't fuck. Your argument is invalid

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!