DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
0 members and 519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
detention for using firefox
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

detention for using firefox - December 27, 2007, 12:00 PM

whoah... teachers are soo out of the loop.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Emm Teh

December 27, 2007, 12:03 PM

FYI,

this was proven to be a hoax.

Too funny though!

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

December 27, 2007, 12:07 PM

shit

*edit*

didnt find it on snopes...

seems legit:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...-it/#more-2531

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; December 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
Mr. Glass

December 27, 2007, 12:09 PM

glad it was fake, cause id go take it the school board.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

December 27, 2007, 12:11 PM

i found it on boygenius...not on snopes that I could find..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
Loves Sporking

December 27, 2007, 12:13 PM

I know it's a hoax, BUT...
If I'm a teacher, and the assignment is to use XYZ internet search program... Kid uses ABC and says it's better than XYZ? I tell kid to use XYZ as my previous instructions stated. Kid refuses? Kid gets detention. Period.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

December 27, 2007, 12:14 PM

fak...read damnit.. michael hasnt shown anything to prove it is a hoax....

boy genius report doesnt put up fake shit....

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Site Owner

December 27, 2007, 12:16 PM

Yeah that makes sense.

I took AP Comp Sci back in High School. Our teacher was going to use Turbo Pascal 3.0 to teach it, when Turbo Pascal 6.0 was out. I used TP 6.0 and the teacher asked what I was using. He was unaware that there was newer versions out (hah!). So he got Turbo Pascal 6.0 for the entire class and we used the modern version.

Teachers not willing to listen to their students and attempt to understand/talk to them FTL.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#9)
Loves Sporking

December 27, 2007, 12:25 PM

I'm giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt. There could have been a reason for using a particular search engine. Kid should address it with the teacher prior to beginning the assignment. I bet the teacher would have been open-minded to an innovation, unless there was a good reason not to be.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

December 27, 2007, 12:28 PM

good point.. however if you are a teach for a "technology" class, you should have known to begin with that firefox was fine and should also know that technology runs rapidly..

*shrug

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
Ninja in Training....

December 27, 2007, 12:29 PM

I have to say screw the teachers decision, as a teacher they need to be up to date on what's out. Especially if they are teaching. Just because the kid uses something better to get a more in-depth find doesn't mean he did it wrong. Guidelines are never ment to completely followed if they were we wouldn't have innovation.

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

December 27, 2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
I'm giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt. There could have been a reason for using a particular search engine. Kid should address it with the teacher prior to beginning the assignment. I bet the teacher would have been open-minded to an innovation, unless there was a good reason not to be.
It doesnt seem that way, though. The teacher saw something they didnt know (eg: Firefox.exe) on some process list and thought the student was slacking off. The student told the teacher what the technology was and instead of investigating it and verifying what the student said, the teacher just said "Do as I say" and then gave out detention.

Regardless.. they are both at fault. Student should have complied after being warned, but teacher showed close-mindedness by not listening to the student and perhaps LEARNING something from them.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
Like a clown car on fire

December 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

I think we are reading too much into this (possibly fake) letter. Who's to say the teacher did not go investigate about firefox and eventually shift to it? Or that the teacher knew about firefox, but the class exercise was designed around explorer, and the student would yield different results (making grading and troubleshooting difficult) with firefox? The only thing we can definitively draw form the letter is that the kid was told to do soemthing in class, did something else, was warned about it, he argued back and persisted until detention was issued. Sounds right to me. Obviously the teacher listened to the kids protests enough to remember them and write them in the letter, so he was not completely ignored.

Teachers purposely handicap their students all the time in class so all the students can be on the same page for purposes of grading, answering questions, learning basiscs, etc. If I had tried using calculators in many of my math classes, I would have failed, even though a calculator was faster, more accurate, and I assume the teacher knows of it's existence.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#14)
Loves Sporking

December 27, 2007, 01:55 PM

Possible reasons for the teacher to forbid use of Firefox:
- Didn't know about Firefox (probable, but irrelevant)
- Teacher knew other search engine was better (not likely, but possible)
- Students progress monitored using tool on 'other' search engine.
- Keep level field for all students without introducing unknown performance factor.

...and the answer is (as Thwacker said best), the kid was told, did something else, was warned, and argued.

Junior Einstein was not stifled here. This kid was just resisting rules.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#15)
Still here

December 27, 2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
Possible reasons for the teacher to forbid use of Firefox:
- Didn't know about Firefox (probable, but irrelevant)
- Teacher knew other search engine was better (not likely, but possible)
- Students progress monitored using tool on 'other' search engine.
- Keep level field for all students without introducing unknown performance factor.

...and the answer is (as Thwacker said best), the kid was told, did something else, was warned, and argued.

Junior Einstein was not stifled here. This kid was just resisting rules.
Just another reason why JohnnyV is awesome! Thanks for taking a teacher's side.

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget