DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
2 members and 547 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Did my first practice half marathon
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Did my first practice half marathon - October 10, 2006, 11:16 AM

Just sharing. Did my first 13 mile run yesterday. Ive been doing 8 - 10 miles consistantly holding 8 min/mile. so I finally got the ballz and did 13 miles yesterday.

Holy crap did I suck. Partly b/c i didnt eat anything all day, but i just wasnt hungry.

I finished after 1 hour 54 minutes. Thats about an 8:45/mile. Pretty crappy, but just sharing.

I plan on running the half marathon in march at VA beach..

/end sharing.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 11:18 AM

oh and running for 2 hours just plain sux.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
DAS BOOT

October 10, 2006, 11:19 AM

I have a friend that will be doing her marathon in San Diego (I think???) That's not a bad time Alex. (or is it..? all i know is I suck at running)

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 11:25 AM

eh.. Really i have no idea to compare it to. Christa might chime in.

I guess it really depends on who you compare it to. If you compare to those running nuts, then it is pretty sucky. I think if you compare it to someone who got WAAY fat.. ~195 lbs on a 5'8" frame, to what I am now ~165, and starting out, I think it is either average or slightly below average.

When i try it again, i will eat better before I go. I've been happy to hold 8 min/mile for 10 miles and I think i can do it for 13..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 11:26 AM

I will say again. I really HATE running, but it has had the most significant affect on my health that I keep doing it.

grr

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
DAS BOOT

October 10, 2006, 11:35 AM

I want to run more, I just hate doing it.

Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

October 10, 2006, 11:47 AM

Spud,

pretyy damn good for your first 13.

you bonked i would guess, still a damn good pace. I know plenty of triathletes that would kill for a sub 9 mile pace at 13.

When you go 13..you should probably start hydration and eating before the run... 2 hours is at the limit of non nutri plan effort. As well as adjust your calorie intake. Use gels..or the new Cliff Shot blocks....liek gummy bears almost..and they work.

congrats
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 11:52 AM

Ive been getting the stomache ache issues that some other runners get too. Its really annoying. It makes me feel like not eating. Ive read that some folks get it due to hydration, types of foods, when you eat..etc..

Some get it just b/c your body isnt used to it.

As I said, im not a runner nut so I have no idea what "gels" you are talking about..

I guess i should read more on that than frequent this site.

Thanks though.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
SIN MC President

October 10, 2006, 12:07 PM

are you friggin kidding me?! I wish I had an 8:45 min mile... I'll be doing the Marine Corp Marathon on the 29th... try running for 5+ hours.. but then again with your pace you'd definitely do it under 5..

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 12:16 PM

26 miles FAK that! Im so unhappy with running by the time i get to mile 10, i would be furious by mile 16 or so.

Maybe next year, but more power to ya.

I am an angry runner too, it keeps me going.

If I keep building up to it, i would be happy with a 8:30/mile for 26 miles, but at my current rate, I would fall off pretty quick half way through.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

October 10, 2006, 01:07 PM

Ok, here I am, ya got me!! 1:54 for a half marathon your first time is a great time. I ran the rock n' roll 1/2 marathon in va beach labor day weekend and I wanted to get 1:40, but ended up with a 2:01 (started too fast and it was freakin HOT).

As for the gels, you should look into carrying water and gels when you run that distance. If you run in a race, they have water stops for ya, but on your own, there are water belts or whatnot. You should go to a running store (like Fleet Feet) or wherever and ask about gels. There are many diff. kinds. The new things now are "shot blocks" which taste better and are more of a fruit snack rather than a gel.

I'll be running the Marine Corps Marathon and my aim is to break 4 hours, but doubt I'll do that. For a person who hates running, you are doing a pretty good job at it!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#12)
DAS BOOT

October 10, 2006, 01:08 PM

what are gels and what do they do for you when you run?

Unread
  (#13)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

October 10, 2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
what are gels and what do they do for you when you run?

gels give you energy. I can't give you the techincal explination, but when you run, you of course use up energy and when you run long distances, you use up your body's resevers and are running on empty, gels give you more energy. They are pretty much sugar, caffine (in some), carbs, electrolytes, calories.....and other stuff I guess.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 01:15 PM

I'll ask the guys where I buy my running shoes from about the gel's.

As stated before, I am an angry runner and carrying anything on my body really anoyes me when I run. Ive tried a water back pack, running with an mp3 player on my arm. All of it messes up my concentration.

Next time I do a practice, I am going to ask my fiance to take the car to a couple spots along the way to hand me some water to see if it helps.

I actually have a lot of bad habits. I dont stretch, I dont carb up too much, I eat horribly...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

October 10, 2006, 01:18 PM

Due to my stomache issues, ive been ramping up my hydration. Well actually for two reasons. Since im getting married Nov 3rd, im trying to shed some puffy water weight, as well as be better hydrated b/c im running so far.

Im drinking about 4 quarts of water a day while at work. Im glad the bathroom is 5 feet from my office door.

I really do hate running, but it all started b/c I was FAT. When the kids I was coaching started calling me "Michelan Man", I knew it was time to stop sitting on my ass. This was about 4 years ago. Its been a slow process, but like I said i hate running so it has taken me a long while to get to this point.

Alex
13 Honda Fury