DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
2 members and 564 guests
Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

Ok my latest TV is HD capable. However comcast doesnt offer HD in my area yet.

Direct TV has a deal for free equipment, 4 months.. yadda yadda.

So you direct TV folks, i want to hear from you.

Is it worth the switch? Reception? Goes out during rain?

Tell me the good the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!!!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

July 23, 2004, 11:10 AM

I like DirecTV, reception is really good and it only goes out during lightning storms. People were telling me that when its windy it will also go out, but I havent had that problem.

also, they have the ebills/pay online option, so no more having to stroke a check.

as far as HD, I have an HD ready TV too, u dont need Comcast or DirecTV for it. You can just get an antenna for the local channels to check it out. the cable and dish guys are only needed for HD Discovery, HBO, Showtime....yadda yadda.

w0rd.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
Go slow to go fast...

July 23, 2004, 11:13 AM

Direct TV is good but I prefer Dish Network. You get the HDTV and you pay a little less. Rain usually isn't a factor, but if its heavy enough you could loose signal for a short period of time.

DISH ROXORS THE BOXORS!!! OH HELL YEAH!!!

Tony
1-12-2010
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRonin  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks fellas! Keep them coming.

For HD i want all those other channels. Nfl games.. etc...

Goes out in the hard rain. Dang!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 23, 2004, 11:24 AM

I too have DirectTV. Love it. It does go out when sever weather hits but not for too long. I have the DirecTV with TIVO. OMG...i'm in heaven. I will never go back to regular cable tv. I do recommend the TIVO too. I can go on about how much I love TIVO, but thats another day. .
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichR6
I too have DirectTV. Love it. It does go out when sever weather hits but not for too long. I have the DirecTV with TIVO. OMG...i'm in heaven. I will never go back to regular cable tv. I do recommend the TIVO too. I can go on about how much I love TIVO, but thats another day. .

I have tivo with comcast, so i plan on getting that also.
I was told its only an extra 5 bux a month on your bill. But the box is like 90 bux...

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 23, 2004, 11:38 AM

Even if your TV is HD ready, you still need a converter box to pick up the local HD signals. This box can be picked up at your local radio shack. And the signal needs to be sent in HD. Otherwise it will look the same as any other channel.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bmiester  
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

July 23, 2004, 11:39 AM

Price all depends on what channels you want and how may rooms you hook up. I have DirecTv and it freakin' rocks. The customer service is awesome. When I moved, I was going to shut it off for a while. When I called, they gave me free movers install, $10 off and free Showtime for 6 months. Yeah, it does drop signal when it POURS, but so does Dish. Even so, I've only lost signal like 3 times this year and never for more than a few minutes. Plus, most HD Satellite boxes also have a terrestrial HD tuner, so with an antenna you could get whatever local stations are broadcasting in HD.

DirecTv offers the following in HD:
ESPN HD Channel 73
Discovery HD Theater Channel 76
HDNet Movies Channel 78
HDNet Channel 79
CBS HDTV Channel 80 (WCBS, New York), Channel 81 (KCBS, Los Angeles)
HBO® HDTV Channel 509 & 88
SHOWTIME HDTV® Channel 543 & 91
High-Definition Pay Per View Channel 85
SPICE HIGH-DEFINITION Channel 85

Quote:
I have tivo with comcast, so i plan on getting that also.
I was told its only an extra 5 bux a month on your bill. But the box is like 90 bux...
If you get a TiVo in addition to a standard receiver, activate the standard one first. I know a few people who added a TiVo later, and didn't get charged the $4.99 fee for an additional box, just the $4.99 TiVo fee.

I miss my TiVo

http://www.mozilla.org/images/product-firefox.pngUse Firefox - Rediscover the Web

KwayZeeyT - (k-way-z-t) adj. To be slightly off or otherwise "Travis-like".

"I don't trust you... but in a good way." - Kim
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to kwayzeeyt Send a message via Yahoo to kwayzeeyt Send a message via AIM to kwayzeeyt Send a message via MSN to kwayzeeyt  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmiester
Even if your TV is HD ready, you still need a converter box to pick up the local HD signals. This box can be picked up at your local radio shack. And the signal needs to be sent in HD. Otherwise it will look the same as any other channel.
Direct TV HD receiver gets the local channels as well.

Already confirmed. Thanks bro!

Brian what do you think of direct tv?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 11:55 AM

Ok after the cost comparisons. I would be paying 5 dollors less per month with direct TV. I would gain HD tv, which i have heard is better with sat vs cable.

In order for all this to happen, i have to drop 300$ for the HD receiver, and 90 bux for the tivo receiver and 15 bux for the delivery of the stuff.
So basicly 400 bux today..

2ndly.. My tv has a second input. With cable i just have to split it. Plug the coax into the second input and run the main input off the box.
This allows picture in picture. Or in the case of my tv, half split screen.

I am assuming to have this same option with direct tv, i have to have another box reciver to goto the second input. Right?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
boxing twins

July 23, 2004, 03:10 PM

Alex,
I've been using DishTV for 2 some-odd years. I had satellite TV service during the last hurricane (with UPS battery backup) and that definately counts as heavy rain.

Satellite has been much more reliable than cable ever was. I haven't compared signal quality of satellite vs digital cable. Non-HD satellite is near DVD quality, at least to my eyes.

Check with DishTV, Comcast, and DirectTV regarding receivers with dual outputs.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#12)
Super Moderator

July 25, 2004, 10:19 AM

Does Direct TV have anything for my computer? I have the cablemodem that I just cant give up but Comcast is EXPENSIVE! I have a HDTV also so I dont want to sacrafice quality!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

July 26, 2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
Does Direct TV have anything for my computer? I have the cablemodem that I just cant give up but Comcast is EXPENSIVE! I have a HDTV also so I dont want to sacrafice quality!

I checked with Dish network as well. All in all, rather go with Direct TV. Just like the channel options better.

Scorpion! I am right there with you on the high speed. I did the big breakdown of costs. Comcast makes you pay more for high speed if you dont use their cable tv service. So I called them to get the cost of that.

All said and done. Using Direct TV, and keeping high speed through the cable company still comes out to 15 dollars LESS per month than just having cable tv.

James check out the pricing! I did every cost imaginable. I can share with you the cost differences i got if you want.

I am having my Direct TV Sat installed August 14th. My tv should be here by then!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
Site Owner

July 26, 2004, 09:49 AM

DirecTV was *much* better when the HU stream was still going....:-/

Now, it's Dish all the way!

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

July 26, 2004, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
DirecTV was *much* better when the HU stream was still going....:-/

Now, it's Dish all the way!

Hack!

Alex
13 Honda Fury