DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
3 members and 571 guests
beatle, davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Discuss - Va. Islamic school taught hate
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

Discuss - Va. Islamic school taught hate - June 11, 2008, 10:36 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25106145

What I do in life will echo through eternity.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

7 pages, easy.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

June 11, 2008, 11:12 PM

Unfortunately incidents such as this give a bad name to the religion. The major contributing factor for this kind of interpretation of the Quran is due to the different Imams from different countries having too much power and making their loose interpretations seem like its the word of God.

Secularism will hopefully one day prevail in most of the Muslim countries with the help of the younger generation. Its funny how most Christians were looked at as barbarians in the dark ages due to the amount of wars they started in the name of God. The best thing that could have happened to them was the secularism which allowed people to make their own interpretations and form their own bonds with God. The Islamic religion is in a destructive war with itself right now. Religious leaders are validating hate and revenge by interpreting the word of God to fit their needs.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

June 12, 2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress
Unfortunately incidents such as this give a bad name to the religion. The major contributing factor for this kind of interpretation of the Quran is due to the different Imams from different countries having too much power and making their loose interpretations seem like its the word of God.

Secularism will hopefully one day prevail in most of the Muslim countries with the help of the younger generation. Its funny how most Christians were looked at as barbarians in the dark ages due to the amount of wars they started in the name of God. The best thing that could have happened to them was the secularism which allowed people to make their own interpretations and form their own bonds with God. The Islamic religion is in a destructive war with itself right now. Religious leaders are validating hate and revenge by interpreting the word of God to fit their needs.
Sounds like someones been doing their homework on religion. Nice to get a intelligent response for once on a real issue.

What I do in life will echo through eternity.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

June 13, 2008, 09:11 AM

Not really desiring to start a full-blown religious debate, but I believe there is very little within original Islamic texts to compell us to interpret them with an attitude of tolerance. If anything, the external atmosphere applies pressure for tolerance within Islam, but not really the doctrines of Islam themselves. I'm open to discuss this with anyone who can produce some text that demonstrates otherwise. In other words, if we continue down this avenue, let's do it with evidence, not simply opinions and conjecture. And in fairness, I come to this discussion from the Christian vantage point.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Popplers!

June 13, 2008, 09:24 AM

Islam is a religion founded on the brutal act of taking Mecca back. Just something to add.

(I know someone is going to mention the Crusades, they're equally horrible).

Last edited by karrotx; June 13, 2008 at 11:04 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
singin sweet home alabama

June 13, 2008, 12:50 PM

religion

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#8)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

June 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

The Koran is a very hateful bible. and yes it was written during a time of conflict.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

June 13, 2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
The Koran is a very hateful bible. and yes it was written during a time of conflict.
Can you quote at least one section on which to base this conclusion? I think in order to not piss people off, you have to take the extra step of supporting the claims you make.

For example, "the crusades" get mentioned whenever a discussion about religious history commences. However, it is important to insist that whoever plays "the crusades" card explain what they mean by crusades. Which one? The one initiated by the Muslims or by the Christians? I think there is a general misconception regarding "the crusades" in that most people think it's a series of wars started by Christians as they went tearing up the place. That's simply not in line with recorded history.

By the same token, I don't think making unsubstantiated negative statements about Islam will advance the discussion very much.
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

June 13, 2008, 03:03 PM

"I would be less than frank if I didn't tell you that the curriculum does contain references to the Quran, which, if taken out of context and read literally, would cause come concern," Hyland said at the meeting at which the lease was extended.

Well if the Fairfax county board of supervisors unanimously deemed it appropriate that the school be allowed to continue the lease then it seems that the story was probably sensationalized, just a tad.

I'm more concerned that this private school is receiving much of it's funding from a foreign government. Religion and Government should never be mixed because, inevitably, one corrupts the other.

I wonder how the Saudi government would react if Notre Dame wanted to open a branch university in Riyadh and have the US. Govt fund it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to wrenchmonk Send a message via MSN to wrenchmonk  
Unread
  (#11)
Honkey Kong

June 13, 2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUC999
Sounds like someones been doing their homework on religion. Nice to get a intelligent response for once on a real issue.
Agreed, though given Turkey's history as a democratic, secular state with a majority muslim population, I'm not particularly surprised. This reflects the attitudes of most of the muslims I know (who are, almost uniformly, educated professionals).

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y  
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

June 13, 2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
Not really desiring to start a full-blown religious debate, but I believe there is very little within original Islamic texts to compell us to interpret them with an attitude of tolerance. If anything, the external atmosphere applies pressure for tolerance within Islam, but not really the doctrines of Islam themselves. I'm open to discuss this with anyone who can produce some text that demonstrates otherwise. In other words, if we continue down this avenue, let's do it with evidence, not simply opinions and conjecture. And in fairness, I come to this discussion from the Christian vantage point.
I would have to respectfully disagree. The Islamic religion is based mainly on belief in one God (which most people fail to recognize Allah means) and to recognize the previous Abrahamic (Ibrahamic) religions and respect them including Christianity. Now, we do not believe in the holy trinity. We consider Jesus as just a prophet. As a matter of fact we believe that Jesus was the only prophet with special powers.

However, the Islamic religion is very intolerant against those who DO NOT BELIEVE in God, and some of the verbiage can easily be interpreted violently. We are strictly forbidden from killing another person, especially of another religion as long as they believe in one God. You have to understand that with most fanatics you're dealing with the uneducated majority and the intelligent minority that rules them by using the name and word of God. In reality, we all know that they are the ones that are really going to hell once they die. They tell the uneducated that Americans, Europeans etc... do not believe in God or follow the word of God since all they see is the media, rap videos, sex tapes, high crime rates etc... and assume that most of the population is made up of a bunch of people that are not protected under one of God's religions. In this case Christianity. Hell, I fall into that category because I don't pray 5 times a day, have tattoos, drink, don't go to the mosque etc...

Now you also have to realize that the LARGE MAJORITY of the Islamic population has nothing against Christians, the US, or Israel. A large majority also live outside the Middle East. Now if you really want to know who hates the US at this moment in time and would like to see its downfall I would list a lot more Christian countries than Islamic countries.

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#13)
Honkey Kong

June 13, 2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress
They tell the uneducated that Americans, Europeans etc... do not believe in God or follow the word of God since all they see is the media, rap videos, sex tapes, high crime rates etc... and assume that most of the population is made up of a bunch of people that are not protected under one of God's religions. In this case Christianity. Hell, I fall into that category because I don't pray 5 times a day, have tattoos, drink, don't go to the mosque etc...
Express--you just hit the nail on the head. It's about the education level of the populace. Turkey has less of a problem with that than most other Muslim-dominated states. What people don't realize is that the Christian states in which the general populace is essentially uneducated are EXACTLY the same in all essentials as the way they stereotype Muslim states. The real breakdown comes when the only education available is non-secular.

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y  
Unread
  (#14)
Groping is a skill...

June 13, 2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y
Agreed, though given Turkey's history as a democratic, secular state with a majority muslim population, I'm not particularly surprised. This reflects the attitudes of most of the muslims I know (who are, almost uniformly, educated professionals).
Yes, thank you for the kind words. We also ended the caliphate (basically the what Pope is to Christianity) in 1923, as the Ottoman Empire is disbanded and the Republic of Turkey was formed. Previous to that date the Sultan (or Padisah) of the Ottoman Empire was considered the head of the Islamic religion. Most of his family is still banished to other countries for selling out the country during WWI.

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#15)
Groping is a skill...

June 13, 2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y
...The real breakdown comes when the only education available is non-secular...
Bingo!

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -