DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 501
3 members and 498 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Distracted Driving Prevention Act of 2009
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Post Distracted Driving Prevention Act of 2009 - October 29, 2009, 05:34 PM

Since MD now made it illegal to text and drive. All states might have to follow suit soon.

WASHINGTON — Both houses of Congress are working with U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on anti-texting legislation by introducing bills and by holding committee hearings with the Secretary as a presenter.
The U. S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation met Oct. 28 while the U.S. House of Representatives on Transportation and Infrastructure met Oct. 29.
Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y. introduced a bill last summer known as the “Avoiding Life-Endangering and Reckless Texting by Drivers Act,” SB 1536. Within six months of the bill’s passage, DOT would establish minimum penalties that must be contained within the state law. States then have two years to pass compliant bans or else risk losing 25 percent of their annual federal highway funding per year. This bill has been called the “stick” approach when juxtaposed with a bill introduced by Sen. John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV.

The Rockefeller bill, SB 1938, “Distracted Driving Prevention Act of 2009,” has been referred to as the “carrot” approach, as it would give states incentives to act, reduce the number of preventable deaths and injuries, and keep Americans safe from destructive and irresponsible distracted drivers.
LaHood said there are three ways to approach the issues and dangers of distracted driving, which he said includes cell phones, putting on make-up, eating a hamburger and so forth. The three approaches are: education, personal responsibility, and enforcement.

In both the House and Senate committee meetings, LaHood said that legislation is needed. “I want to work with the House and Senate,” he said.
When queried on which of the two Senate bills he favored, LaHood had a quick reply.
“I believe in the carrot and stick approach,” he said.
LaHood repeatedly mentioned the “Click it or Ticket” seat belt campaign as well as what he referred to as “08.” The “Click it or Ticket” campaign has successfully reduced the number of drivers and passengers in vehicles who fail to buckle their seat belt.

The “08” reference is the driving under the influence campaign that has reduced the number of deaths and injuries due to drunk driving. The “08” refers to the 0.08 BAC or blood alcohol content. It is at 0.08 BAC that a driver is considered “under the influence” and therefore under arrest.
LaHood said that it is important to follow in the footsteps of both of those campaigns in order to educate the public about the dangers of distracted driving.

There is another bill that was introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-NY, HR 3535 called “Avoiding Life-Endangering and Reckless Texting by Drivers Act of 2009” that would require states to enact legislation that prohibits drivers from writing, sending, reading, and instant message or e-mail. It would withhold 25 percent of federal highway funding if a state fails to enact such legislation within two years of passage.
LaHood made similar speeches during both committee meetings.
“Transportation safety is the department’s top priority,” LaHood said. “Texting is a deadly epidemic. If we don’t take action it’s only going to get worse. I’m personally committed to reduce the number of fatalities.”

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/_f...illSummary.pdf

Oh great just another reason for idiots to call *77.
Phone pull it over...Easiest way to cure all that, is to make a persons license plate, from their cell-phone #.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."

Last edited by WvGoDFather; October 29, 2009 at 05:38 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 29, 2009, 06:21 PM

How long until we are no longer the United States of America? Might as well just get it over with and dissolve all state and local governments creating a single Federal government to regulate every aspect of your life. After all, the people of New Hampshire have every right to tell the people of Arizona how to live the lives on a daily basis.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

October 29, 2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
How long until we are no longer the United States of America? Might as well just get it over with and dissolve all state and local governments creating a single Federal government to regulate every aspect of your life. After all, the people of New Hampshire have every right to tell the people of Arizona how to live the lives on a daily basis.
Yeah...Im going to stir the pot a little..

Driving is not a right - They are not telling you how to live..You can always tell who is talking and now texting on their phone while they are driving. They cant even drive in a straight line! They are paying more attention to their conversation/txting than paying attention to the 4000 pound projectile traveling at a good mph. If that text/conversation is that frikin important, PULL OVER. God KNOWS how many times Ive almst been taken out by a moron on a cell phone...Im for not operating a cell phone without a hands free device...but that me.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#4)
Elite Racing

October 29, 2009, 07:48 PM

I was travelling west on the Dulles Toll Road yesterday afternoon around 4:00pm. A car swerving lane in it's lattracted my attention. When I got up next to it, I looked over and saw a lady, easily in her 50's, playing with her cell phone. I kept an eye in my rearview after I passed her and she crossed over her lane lines both left and right in excess of 4 times while I watched.

I'm all for no texting/e-mailing while in the car. That bitch shoulda been yanked off the road.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

October 29, 2009, 11:01 PM

People...wake the F*ck before you want the government to pass more laws that are duplicates of the ones that we have.

I am pretty sure that we have laws regarding keeping your vehicle in your lane and operating it in a safe manner. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ENFORCING THOSE LAWS!!!!

James...if they are not driving in a straight line...pull them over.

Why not pass a law about changing the radio or drinking a soda when in the car? I know that I swerved into the lane next to me when I spilled my water and when I have changed the station. Lets make that illegal.

This is the same government that wants to outlaw high fructose corn syrup and hyrdrogenated oil.

We already have "hate crimes" legislation. What sense does that make? If you murder someone...is it worse because you didn't like them for whatever reason? Don't you always hate someone if you are in the process of murdering them?

Keep thinking that we are not on the road to becoming as PC Bullsh*t as the UK is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222861/Pensioner-complained-gay-pride-march-warned-police-hate-crime.html
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 29, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
Yeah...Im going to stir the pot a little..

Driving is not a right - They are not telling you how to live..You can always tell who is talking and now texting on their phone while they are driving. They cant even drive in a straight line! They are paying more attention to their conversation/txting than paying attention to the 4000 pound projectile traveling at a good mph. If that text/conversation is that frikin important, PULL OVER. God KNOWS how many times Ive almst been taken out by a moron on a cell phone...Im for not operating a cell phone without a hands free device...but that me.

Im with you on that.....
The shit is bad bad bad in this area....

I know im not the only one who see ass munch on a daily basis all over the fukn place talking, texting and trying to drive...talking isnt as bad as text because you have to take your eyes and attension off the streets for that. Yes I text and drive at times.... and im all over the damn place just like the other idiots lol.

Since they law passed in DC and VA I've just let my text go unanswered until i get to a lite or to my destination.

The shit got bad and out of control fast.

Also....
they may have serving lanes or crude driving laws but 9 times out of 10 it can get tossed if a cop say "He was driving in a unsafe manner" where as if you are caught texting its open and closed.

the shit burns my balls....
Im glad they have it...hands free phone should be enuff for all...
fuka text...text the bastard and tell him to call you on your hands free cuz your driving.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

October 30, 2009, 12:29 AM

I was out riding a few months back, headed to a group ride when I passed an exit ramp for 270. Some dude that was taking the ramp didn't stay in his lane and apparently didn't bother to even look up from his phone while "changing" lanes. I was simply lucky that I had enough time to veer out of his way and that there were no cars in the lane next to me. When I pulled up next to him, he had no idea he even cut me off cuz his eyes were buried in his phone. I flipped the fack out that this dumbass could have taken someone's life because he had to send a txt. When I yelled at him to get off his F'in phone and drive, he got mad that I was yelling at him. In the end, I think he'll be paying more attention to where he's going in the future.
Unread
  (#8)
superdupernunu

October 30, 2009, 12:34 AM

just out of curiosity...what is the exact rule for this new law?...if im making a phone call and searching through my contacts to look for a #, and a cop pulls me over for something and decides to throw texting and driving into the ticket as well, does it stick? how can this new law possibly stick in the courts? "i wasnt texting, i was making a call"

though i will agree that people who text and drive are looking to kill someone, ive done it myself a couple of times and have realized my inability to pay attention to my surroundings. now i just reply while at a light.

this is getting a bit out of hand though

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
On vacation

October 30, 2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha00311 View Post
just out of curiosity...what is the exact rule for this new law?...if im making a phone call and searching through my contacts to look for a #, and a cop pulls me over for something and decides to throw texting and driving into the ticket as well, does it stick? how can this new law possibly stick in the courts? "i wasnt texting, i was making a call"

though i will agree that people who text and drive are looking to kill someone, ive done it myself a couple of times and have realized my inability to pay attention to my surroundings. now i just reply while at a light.

this is getting a bit out of hand though

I'm pretty sure anybody who txts at all has done it while driving at one point or another. I'm definitely guilty of it, but I've realized that as much as I don't like to admit it, it really does affect my driving so I respond at lights or just wait. I'm not usually important enough that people need an immediate response.
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

October 30, 2009, 12:59 AM

The burden of proof for texting is just as great as the burden of proof for operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner. As mentioned earlier...how you going to prove I was texting?

Making the law "easier" to enforce is not basis for the creation of new laws.
Unread
  (#11)
kin
Batman wants my bike

October 30, 2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
People...wake the F*ck before you want the government to pass more laws that are duplicates of the ones that we have.

I am pretty sure that we have laws regarding keeping your vehicle in your lane and operating it in a safe manner. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ENFORCING THOSE LAWS!!!!

James...if they are not driving in a straight line...pull them over.

Why not pass a law about changing the radio or drinking a soda when in the car? I know that I swerved into the lane next to me when I spilled my water and when I have changed the station. Lets make that illegal.

This is the same government that wants to outlaw high fructose corn syrup and hyrdrogenated oil.

We already have "hate crimes" legislation. What sense does that make? If you murder someone...is it worse because you didn't like them for whatever reason? Don't you always hate someone if you are in the process of murdering them?

Keep thinking that we are not on the road to becoming as PC Bullsh*t as the UK is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222861/Pensioner-complained-gay-pride-march-warned-police-hate-crime.html

This logic can be applied to drinking and driving also...

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin  
Unread
  (#12)
Super Moderator

October 30, 2009, 08:00 AM

I agree. Also, like Blackhatch said, there are alreadly laws on the book that you can hit people with..

Failure to maintain lane....
Failure to pay full time and attention - this used to be a catch all regarding rear end collisions. You dont even have to say EXACTLY what the person was doing (i.e. texting/talking/etc).

Especially new drivers! They SUCK!! Maybe to make it worse..How about make it a fine that goes up after each time you get hit within a two year period.

First - $25.00
Second - $100.00
Third - $250.00

or keep it a $25.00 and make it 3 points!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#13)
Don't call my name

October 30, 2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
The burden of proof for texting is just as great as the burden of proof for operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner. As mentioned earlier...how you going to prove I was texting?
Timestamps on the phone. Most will at save the draft, and if you send it's definitely recorded.

Occasional rider, occasional photographer

KnockOut Photography
https://www.facebook.com/KnockOutMotoPhotos
Unread
  (#14)
Spike

October 30, 2009, 08:11 AM

I feel the government is taking away our freedoms little by little. I, by no means, agree with texting while driving or ESPECIALLY putting your make-up on while driving. I think those bitches should be shot for that shit, but that's just me. Yes smoking is bad for you but even when I never smoked a day in my life if someone else did it, it was their choice. You can't talk in DC while driving, not that that is such a bad idea considering how DC is but it's the point of it. They give us this technology and stuff then restrict how we use it. You can't go into a courthouse w/ a cell that has a camera in it?? I know there's lots of crazies out there but a camera!? They allow fools to sue places b/c they spilled hot coffee on themselves or b/c the food they ate made them fat!! Why not stop frivolous lawsuits!!?? How bout the guy that sued the cleaners for millions for ruining a $40 pair of pants! Now they want to make it so the government provides the healthcare and you HAVE to have it!!!! We pay into medicare/social security all our lives and now my mom is disabled and they will NOT give her any kind of help. She worked hard all her life and provided for us w/o any help from anyone else now she can't get the help she needs!

I gotta say, I'm not proud of the powers that be in this country. Have our troops over there fighting for a nation that is very slowly taking away our freedoms.

This is simply how I feel, just MY opinion. Agree or not, I don't care.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#15)
kin
Batman wants my bike

October 30, 2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz View Post
I feel the government is taking away our freedoms little by little. I, by no means, agree with texting while driving or ESPECIALLY putting your make-up on while driving. I think those bitches should be shot for that shit, but that's just me. Yes smoking is bad for you but even when I never smoked a day in my life if someone else did it, it was their choice. You can't talk in DC while driving, not that that is such a bad idea considering how DC is but it's the point of it. They give us this technology and stuff then restrict how we use it. You can't go into a courthouse w/ a cell that has a camera in it?? I know there's lots of crazies out there but a camera!? They allow fools to sue places b/c they spilled hot coffee on themselves or b/c the food they ate made them fat!! Why not stop frivolous lawsuits!!?? How bout the guy that sued the cleaners for millions for ruining a $40 pair of pants! Now they want to make it so the government provides the healthcare and you HAVE to have it!!!! We pay into medicare/social security all our lives and now my mom is disabled and they will NOT give her any kind of help. She worked hard all her life and provided for us w/o any help from anyone else now she can't get the help she needs!

I gotta say, I'm not proud of the powers that be in this country. Have our troops over there fighting for a nation that is very slowly taking away our freedoms.

I am totally against the gov't taking away our freedoms, I am with you 100%, but I honestly don't think ticketing someone for texting and driving falls under them taking away our freedoms...

Smoking is a different issue, if you are not putting someone else's life in danger or harming them, then yes, the gov't should lay off of you.

Healthcare...well I'm not gonna go there, that's gonna start another whole long debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz View Post
This is simply how I feel, just MY opinion. Agree or not, I don't care.

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin