DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
4 members and 499 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Do NOT purchase gas on May 15th!
Unread
  (#1)
Red Sox Nation

Do NOT purchase gas on May 15th! - May 3, 2007, 02:40 PM

Just forwarding on....

It's Not Hard, Just Get Gas The Day Before Or The Day After!!!!!

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all Internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't purchase gas on May 15th"

Yankees Suck
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to -yz-  
Unread
  (#2)
Que se jodan!!

May 3, 2007, 02:41 PM

what if I'm low on gas the 15th???????

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#3)
Eddie would go ...

May 3, 2007, 02:42 PM

love the math....as if all 73M would be filling up on the same day if this chain letter did not go out.....and the gas is refined oil, which is refined here and...oh nm...

isn't life grand when other people think for you so you don't have to?

oh and btw

Yao in 3...2...1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 3, 2007, 02:46 PM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Snopes says: FALSE

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
DAS BOOT

May 3, 2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
what if I'm low on gas the 15th???????
TOUGH

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#6)
Road Kill

May 3, 2007, 02:52 PM

can you imagine what the Nazi's could have done to this world if they had the internet back then? smack the friend that sent that shit to you.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#7)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

May 3, 2007, 02:53 PM

um, so wouldn't they make up the money on the day before or after the 15th then?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#8)
I got dis!

May 3, 2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Beat me to it.

- Matt

Quoted from AIM. A conversation with Dwight about him and Ben.
"cpsdwight: i couldnt believe that i was keeping him up"

Harvey - "I can't date fat chicks man, there's just too much material there. Someone's gotta be thin in the relationship and it's obviously not me."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnfiend Send a message via AIM to Drgnfiend  
Unread
  (#9)
I am a bitch, so what?

May 3, 2007, 02:55 PM

HAHAHA so you fill up on the 14th when gas prices are over 3.00 just to get gas prices lowered on the 15th, when you don't need gas. With the way gas prices change, by the time you have to fill up again, it'll be back to 3.00 or more.

Also, in 2007 gas prices are higher than in 1997. So exactly what did the gas out do in the long run?

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#10)
Agitator

May 3, 2007, 03:00 PM

God I love these stupid kinds of boycotts...do people even understand the concept of economics?

temporary (on the timescale of the production) demand reduction = nothing good other than making people "feel" good about their "actions"

you want gas prices to go down, consistantly decrease demand. less demand + same supply = lower prices (which tend to increase demand) until a lower price equillibrium is met at a lower production level

you want gas prices to go up? add volatility to the market...yes, external events add volatility to the supply side of the equation, but volatility on the demand works as well. Considering the average (on a timescale that matters to those setting the prices) demand doesn't change with this kind of stupid shit, the only message it sends is that businesses that do consider day-by-day demand (i.e. local service stations that aren't part of a big conglomerate of many stations) see a volatile market...and respond by temporarily lowering prices...to even out their income and inventory control. Once this kind of BS if over, in order to make up for the loss, a temporary increase in price will follow.

you want to make a long term change, make a long term change...ride a bike/motorcycle/public transportation, etc. this short term BS is meaningless, all it does is "show you care"...and in this case (as in most cases) "caring" about an issue or societal effect doesn't do jack...unless you ACT.

how about this as an equivalent...everyone stop eating red meat for ONE DAY...will that effect the amount of cows raised to provide beef? no...its a different time-scale...will it significantly effect the transient supply? hell yeah, and create a problem of un-sold beef that will then have to be destroyed, and temporarily reduce prices to prevent that inventory loss (true, beef is much more transient than gasoline)...after that, those types of blips are factored into long term accounting as noise that must be compensated for, and you know what, that increases price (to ensure viable income in the good days to offset the bad)

end

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

May 3, 2007, 03:02 PM

Substitute Yao for Marc.

I'm doing it anyway... bitches!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#12)
Agitator

May 3, 2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Substitute Yao for Marc.

I'm doing it anyway... bitches!
huh? substitute yao for marc how?

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

2009 Nissan GT-R
Unread
  (#13)
Agitator

May 3, 2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -yz-
Just forwarding on....

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all Internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't purchase gas on May 15th"
Even better example of this kind of stupid logic:

Quote:
and then:
Quote:
If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day

Didn't you give them the money the day before? I wonder what 1 days interest in 2.3 billion dollars is? considering people if they did this would likely split day before / day after, the net cost is....ZERO
Quote:
lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.
As I said before...you are affecting the prompt distribution (and then, since most stations go more than 1 day between refills, so not much of any effect tehre) if anything...refining is calculated on a timescale of weeks, and production / shipping on a timescale of months!

now, for an interesting fact...if those same 73 million americans read this stupid shit ONCE on a computer (in 2 minutes), they would consume roughly 608 kWh of electricity, about half a barrel of oil, contribute about 100kg of atmospheric CO2, not to mention wasting (at the average per capita income and assuming half read it at work) $15 MILLION dollars in lost productivity

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

2009 Nissan GT-R
Unread
  (#14)
Knarly Adventurer

May 3, 2007, 03:21 PM

THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME...

I'M DOING IT!!!!!!!!!

Damn the man, bitches!

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#15)
Agitator

May 3, 2007, 03:23 PM

And how is 2.292 Billion "almost" 3 billion?

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

2009 Nissan GT-R