DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 569
4 members and 565 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Do we need a study to tell us that... Women in Bikinis Make Men More Impulsive?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Do we need a study to tell us that... Women in Bikinis Make Men More Impulsive? - June 13, 2008, 12:36 PM

This would seem to be obvious even to a casual observer, but there's a study dealing with this topic!

Bikinis and other sexy stimuli can make men more prone to seek immediate gratification leading to blown diets, budgets and bank accounts, new research suggests.

In the study, detailed in the Journal of Consumer Research, men alternately fondled t-shirts and bras (which were not being worn during the test).

After touching the bras, men valued the future less and the present more, said lead researcher Bram Van Den Bergh of Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium. Viewing ads with women in bikinis had the same effect.

It wasn't that the men were simply distracted by their sexual arousal, which caused them to choose more impulsively. On the contrary, they exhibited improved cognition and creativity after exposure to sexy stimuli.

The researchers conclude that there is one common appetite system in the brain monitoring our desire for a host of pleasures from sweets to pretty faces, alcohol to lotto winnings.

When it is stimulated by, say, a sexy picture or the smell of baked goods, we experience a general craving for anything pleasant.

"Basically, you just want to be rewarded," explained Barbara Briers, a researcher at HEC Paris School of Management.

Briers, who has conducted related research, was not involved with this study.

Immediate gratification

Van Den Bergh and colleagues rendered the bikini-effect powerless by satiating the stirred appetite with a different type of reward financial security.

A sense of personal wealth depends largely on what we perceive to be the society standard. The researchers manipulated this perception to make male subjects feel relatively rich or relatively poor.

When a questionnaire suggested the average income in society was very small smaller than most of the subjects' incomes the men felt rich in comparison.

Conversely, when the average income was implied to be very large dwarfing that of the male subjects most of the men began looking at their own earnings as piddling.

When the men felt well-off, the bikinis lost their influence. But if they considered themselves among the have-nots, they were likely to seek immediate gratification after seeing women running in bikinis.

(Among other sexy stimuli, the study used a commercial for Lynx body spray, which features thousands of women running in bikinis.)

The study was funded by a research division of Aegis Group, a marketing company.

Evolution at work

Evolutionarily speaking, Briers hypothesized, unfulfilled sexual arousal could trigger a subconscious belief that one's reproductive status is at stake.

Rendered fearful, men reach out for other "resources" a quick payoff, fast food to better their chances for survival.

In modern, more splurge-friendly times, this may be a maladaptive tendency.

The bikini effect does vary in strength from person to person, Van Den Bergh said.

While most men are vulnerable to subtle types of stimuli like sexy ads and touching lingerie others may need to see a woman nude before feeling impulsive.

No matter, Van Den Bergh warned, "being exposed to a sexy girl may influence what stock you invest in or what candy bar you buy."

While her own research also indicates a common reward pathway, Briers cautioned that some studies suggest more specific reward responses (for example, new mothers respond differently to a baby's smell than childless women).

Taken together, all this research, she said "is the beginning of something fascinating."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,366102,00.html

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

June 13, 2008, 01:11 PM

Not when it's ME in the bikini!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
I am a bitch, so what?

June 13, 2008, 01:15 PM

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#4)
Mr. Glass

June 13, 2008, 01:19 PM

vicki. that was not cool, now i have to go visit the eye wash station

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#5)
I am a bitch, so what?

June 13, 2008, 01:20 PM

But does it make you impulsive?

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#6)
Banned!

June 13, 2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil
GLORIOUS! IM SO HUNGRY ALL OF A SUDDEN!
Unread
  (#7)
Asleep at the wheel!

June 13, 2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If I had a campfire I would roast marshmallows. Maybe I would splurge and go with smores!!!

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#8)
SIN MC President

June 13, 2008, 01:48 PM

Feeling impulsive yet?

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#9)
I am a bitch, so what?

June 13, 2008, 02:09 PM

You tell me?

Unread
  (#10)
I am a bitch, so what?

June 13, 2008, 02:10 PM

anything yet?

Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 13, 2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEDA
Feeling impulsive yet?

Nice pic. Now if you could just chop out that "Hey, what's that chick doing on my bike" looking guy in the background.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

June 13, 2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:

You are killing me Vicki!!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!