DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 575
6 members and 569 guests
Diggy, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Slider, t84a, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: Not playing the National Anthem @ events, is causing us to lose our patriotism?
Yes 13 72.22%
No 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Do you feel..
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Thumbs down Do you feel.. - December 1, 2007, 02:14 PM

that is was unAmerican for the Steelers president Art Rooney II to decide not to play National Anthem at last Monday nights game?

Afterward, Steelers president Art Rooney II apologized. He was involved in the decision not to play the National Anthem in large part because the stands were empty.

NFL's view of this..
"We didn't anticipate not having the National Anthem on Monday," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello. "It was a decision made based on extreme weather conditions. We don't support the decision. But it was a decision made under extremely difficult circumstances. We don't anticipate this happening again."

A NFL fan was quoted as saying "Pat Tillman died trying to defend our country, yet the league allows stormy weather to stop the Anthem? "

My ? is do you feel it doesnt follow tradition, honor, and respect for our country if we choose not to play it under adverse or any other conditions?
One of the worst parts about it, no one really seemed to mind or notice afterwards!

My 2 cents.. I feel a certain amount of disrespect because of those facts. Growing up and watching games at Memorial Stadium, and RFK.. Those stadiums were rocking. Something inside you, tells you.. Damn I AM PROUD to be a AMERICAN! Races, games, events there are fly-overs, moments like that, you just cant away from someone. NFL has pretty much lost my respect, when they passed the NFL rule, that ensures that host-stadiums for the Super Bowl are not in less than favorable weather conditions. BRING back smash mouth football in 2 ft of snow for all the glory. They make more than enough to face those conditions. Better players, making alot less money , did it for years.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."

Last edited by WvGoDFather; December 1, 2007 at 02:18 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Firebreathing VTwin

December 1, 2007, 02:46 PM

it'll never happen because of capacity but could you imagine the superbowl at Lambeau Field.

Green Bay in January! Thats football!

I agree, play the anthem!

Do kids still recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school?

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

December 1, 2007, 04:28 PM

I voted "no" because I don't believe not playing the anthem at that football game is causal. I believe it is an effect of patriotism already lost. Comfort and easy living have had more of an impact on patriotism and related attitudes.

The anthem should be played before sporting events, no matter what. It's unthinkable to pull the plug on the anthem for weather. Absolutely unthinkable.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

December 1, 2007, 05:40 PM

I'm not going to comment on the anthem. Seems strange to not play it, but other than during big games, people don't even pay attention to the anthem. Seems like half the fans in the stadium are talking or drinking their beer during the song, just waiting for it to end so they can get on to the game itself.

As for the Super Bowl, the game of football is no longer "5 yards and a cloud of dust." Pass friendly offenses are here to stay. Even in my home state of Texas, high schools run spread offenses instead of the option. For that reason, I'd rather see the game played in decent weather. I don't want to see a team handicapped by the weather.

It's fine playing the other playoff games in bad weather/snow where home field advantage should count for something, but the Super Bowl itself is supposed to be on a neutral field, so I'd rather see the elements eliminated from the equation for that one game.

Plus, if I were to win the lottery and could afford to attend the Super Bowl in person, I'd rather be sitting in sunny, 70 degree weather. But then again, I was born and raised below the Mason Dixon line.