DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
7 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Do you have a will?
Unread
  (#1)
Groundhogs can play dead

Do you have a will? - October 4, 2009, 06:33 PM

Like "last will and testament?" A living will?
I was speaking with a friend today about wills. I kinda need to have one made. There have been a few occurances in the last month that have reminded me of how quickly our lives can change.

Who has a will? If you do, what did it take to create it? Did you have to meet with a lawyer? Pay a fee? My friend mentioned downloading a computer program, filling out the will, and then filing it with the county. Is that all it takes?

Thank you!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 4, 2009, 06:36 PM

This is very true I need to work on mine also its kinda one of those things you wanna put off but its very important! To my knowledge all you have to do is write it out and sign it. I'm also interested in what goes into it.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Spike

October 4, 2009, 06:48 PM

Tanya, yes, there is a website you can go to do make a will. There is a fee but it is legal and binding. I will be doing the very same very soon.
If the statement "only the good die young", I have plenty of time but then again, I have really bad luck so I will be doing the will very soon. It shouldn't take long, my dog will go to my daughter, my life insurance will cover the bills and all I ask is to NOT have an autopsy and to be buried. ABSOLUTELY do not want to be cremated.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

October 4, 2009, 06:49 PM

i need a will but i don't have one. I was going to do one on legalzoom.com

I'm leaving everything to the members of .net
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

October 4, 2009, 06:52 PM

with all the recent events yes its def something to think about... especially if you have children etc... my ex wifes brother passed away of a heart attack about a mo ago and was SEPERATED not divorced for around 3 yrs now and just never filed the divorce papers... now the wife is trying to uphold the 250k life ins policy saying shes entitled to it not his 11yr old daughter... the family wants it in a trust fund for his daughter and she wants to get it and basically blow it sooo ensuing big fight is coming....

but anyhow a will would have solved it all so if you dont have one GET ONE...

you can download it and file it with the county... its best though to involve a lawyer so there is no loopholes... so the wrong person doesnt benefit etc...

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

October 4, 2009, 06:58 PM

http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-Wills...-overview.html

What I do in life will echo through eternity.
Unread
  (#7)
> 6'3" need not apply!

October 4, 2009, 08:20 PM

Yeah, I need to do one too. I had one drawn up after I made it out of the Pentagon on 9/11 and with all of the people who I either knew or "knew" who are no longer with us, I have been thinking about this as well. Maybe I need to dig that draft copy up and get it legalized too.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#8)
Spike

October 4, 2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey86 View Post
Yeah, I need to do one too. I had one drawn up after I made it out of the Pentagon on 9/11 and with all of the people who I either knew or "knew" who are no longer with us, I have been thinking about this as well. Maybe I need to dig that draft copy up and get it legalized too.
Oh Stacey, I had no idea you were in that building when that terrible thing happened!!! I am so sorry honey! That is a horrible thing to go through. I'm glad you were spared!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#9)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 4, 2009, 08:24 PM

I have nothing to leave but Tanya you can have my pool cue.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

October 4, 2009, 08:25 PM

It's essential to have a will and adequate life insurance, especially when engaging in inherently dangerous activities like sportbike riding. It's also important to carry emergency contact information on your person when riding AND to enter a number in your cell phone under the name "EMERGENCY" so that another can find it quickly. Finally, you will help your loved ones and/or friends if you create a document that provides comprehensive instructions for handling your affairs should something unfortunate occur.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

October 4, 2009, 08:53 PM

Yup........between having a bad temper, loud mouth, sportbikes, rock climbing, sky diving, living in Bmore......paid a family friend a small fee..........good to have. All my junk and organs wil go to my people er needs it most cuz I ain't gonna be using it so.......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

October 4, 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
It's essential to have a will and adequate life insurance, especially when engaging in inherently dangerous activities like sportbike riding. It's also important to carry emergency contact information on your person when riding AND to enter a number in your cell phone under the name "EMERGENCY" so that another can find it quickly. Finally, you will help your loved ones and/or friends if you create a document that provides comprehensive instructions for handling your affairs should something unfortunate occur.
+1

Excellent advice.
Unread
  (#13)
Banned

October 5, 2009, 07:10 AM

Yep, I've got a will. Had a pre-paid legal service as a benefit of my last employer, so for the $15 I was paying each month, I took advantage of the will service, and had one written up. I don't really have a whole lot, but everything will be given to dad, and he can sort out my shit if I croak.
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

October 5, 2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
+1 everyone calls me a dork for having an Emergency card but I've had it in my wallet for snowboarding for a long time. Just waiting for "the big one"

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 5, 2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Exactly! That's the point of this thread (in my own little way).

How did you guys hear about legalzoom? Just googling it or from a reference? I guess my first step is going to go get life insurance in an amount high enough to pay off my house and vehicles. PS: I heard that the average funeral cost is over $20K!!!!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to