DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 594
2 members and 592 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Do you know CPR?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Do you know CPR? - September 11, 2014, 06:57 AM

Do you know CPR? I'm certified, my wife is certified and I'm going to have my daughters take the class too.

A couple days ago a young guy in my office had a heart attack and died. He was at most 40 years old and was in good shape/did a lot of regular exercise. I don't know the details yet or if CPR would have kept him alive (or if it was even used on him) but it does work... I highly recommend taking the course and encouraging friends/family to do the same (the life you save could be your own, as the cliche goes).

I'm feeling pretty bummed about it. He was an all around nice guy, always happy and smiling and he leaves behind a family with 2 kids in elementary school. Truly sucks...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 11, 2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Do you know CPR? I'm certified, my wife is certified and I'm going to have my daughters take the class too.

A couple days ago a young guy in my office had a heart attack and died. He was at most 40 years old and was in good shape/did a lot of regular exercise. I don't know the details yet or if CPR would have kept him alive (or if it was even used on him) but it does work... I highly recommend taking the course and encouraging friends/family to do the same (the life you save could be your own, as the cliche goes).

I'm feeling pretty bummed about it. He was an all around nice guy, always happy and smiling and he leaves behind a family with 2 kids in elementary school. Truly sucks...
when I was 16 working at a golf course a guy dropped like this. granted he was not in the best shape. CPR from a doctor in his group did not even help.

Sometimes it happens man, it just is natural.
Unread
  (#3)
turn or crash....

September 11, 2014, 07:50 AM

I took a CPR class about 3+ years ago, but honestly don't remember much from it... I think I might do more harm than good if I tried it now on someone. I agree though it's definitely something worth knowing. How much is a class? My work paid last time.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

September 11, 2014, 08:05 AM

To stay certified you must take the course every 2 years. It's about $100 directly from the Red Cross but there are lots of places offering it cheaper or free (work, community organizations, etc).

It's definitely true that it doesn't always work but the odds are pretty good if you can keep blood pumping while waiting for pros or an AED (automatic external defibrillator). Most courses now seem to cover AED use too.
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a llama again!

September 11, 2014, 08:09 AM

I am and I am certified to use a AED.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#6)
i suck at the introweb

September 11, 2014, 08:17 AM

I am an authorized provider for the American Red Cross. I have been teaching for about 15 years. I conduct training classes for everything from basic community to Professional Rescuers. It is definitely important to know, if anyone has a business that is interested in setting up classes let me know as I can arrange it.

Side note: in the event of cardiac arrest CPR only supplies oxygen to the vital organs needed for survival, which increases the success of an AED. For every 1 min. a person in cardiac arrest doesn't receive an AED their chance of survival decreases by 10%. CPR will reduce these percentages. AEDs are so affordable, easy-to-use, and highly effective it only makes sense for large business to have them on hand. You can get an entire kit for about $1200 now a days.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

September 11, 2014, 09:24 AM

A lady 2 days ago had a heart attack in the back parking lot. She was conherent, but glad i know CPR. We also have an AED.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

September 11, 2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza View Post
I took a CPR class about 3+ years ago, but honestly don't remember much from it... I think I might do more harm than good if I tried it now on someone. I agree though it's definitely something worth knowing. How much is a class? My work paid last time.
You really can't do more harm than good. 15 compressions 2 breaths? 30 compressions 1 breath? 1 compression 1 breath? Studies have repeatedly shown that doing CPR wrong (which happens almost every time somebody does CPR) is still helpful.

Bikes Owned
'81 Honda CB550
'87 Yamaha FZ750
'03 Yamaha R1
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

September 11, 2014, 09:29 AM

I used to be first aid wilderness certified. My certs have all lapsed but I would still feel comfortable giving CPR.

Bikes Owned
'81 Honda CB550
'87 Yamaha FZ750
'03 Yamaha R1
Unread
  (#10)
No more 1050 :(

September 11, 2014, 09:38 AM

Last time I took the class, it was 15/ 2 for adults, and 10/ 1 for children... I think it's changed since then.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

September 11, 2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTGlems View Post
You really can't do more harm than good. 15 compressions 2 breaths? 30 compressions 1 breath? 1 compression 1 breath? Studies have repeatedly shown that doing CPR wrong (which happens almost every time somebody does CPR) is still helpful.
that's what i've always been told too. i mean the person already isn't breathing and has no pulse... circulating some blood and giving some oxygen isn't gonna hurt even if it's not at the exact recommended cadence.
Unread
  (#12)
turn or crash....

September 11, 2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTGlems View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
that's what i've always been told too. i mean the person already isn't breathing and has no pulse... circulating some blood and giving some oxygen isn't gonna hurt even if it's not at the exact recommended cadence.
Awesome.. good to know.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 11, 2014, 10:26 AM

Certified Mad Dog Jonny G spin instructor....so had to get certified.

This will be my 3rd cert for different ventures.
1st was High school swim team and life guard
2nd was college Health and Human services Course
3rd was for spin instructor. Only last 2 years and im one year over since im not teaching...but considering updating. AED and the whole shabang.

Now do I remember most of it....so so....I should say, do I feel comfortable with my ability to save a life? not so much lol.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#14)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

September 11, 2014, 11:00 AM

A few years ago, I was at a gas station when a guy had a heart attack (38 yrs old). Me and another woman gave CPR for 10 minutes till the paras came. I hadn't had a class in over 40 years, don't remember compressions vs breaths, ect. All I remember was when we started he was blue/grey, no pulse, no breathing; when the paras got there, he was pink and breathing with thready pulse. Better to do it wrong than not at all. He was dead, fer chrissakes....you really can't fuck it up.....

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

September 11, 2014, 11:01 AM

PS.

I get re-certified every 2 years now...seemed like a good idea, what with riding fast and all....

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to