DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
6 members and 576 guests
Diggy, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Slider, t84a, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Does anybody have sources for "cabling" in bulk or wholesale?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Does anybody have sources for "cabling" in bulk or wholesale? - March 20, 2012, 12:33 PM

I am currently under contract to purchase a new construction home which is in the process. I have luckily been given the go ahead to install all the low-voltage wiring throughout the house myself.

I plan on running the full gamut...
CAT5e Ethernet
Telephone (also through Cat5e)
Coaxial
Speaker
Component Video
HDMI

I also may run a couple of more high-voltage wires for future use but not connect them cause I don't know how to mess with those.

The house is basically 3 stories (basement +2) and the patch panel for all of these connections will be in the basement. So I'm looking at a lot of wire to run up and down. The Audio/Video cables will be more local to each room. Unless someone knows how to run HDMI over Cat5e.

I need help finding a source where I can purchase these cables as needed. And if anybody here is actually willing to help me run them through the house I would be in your debt since I will most likely be given no more than 2 days to wire the whole thing before the drywall is scheduled to be put up. I also may need some help with the terminations because I know how this stuff works but I'm not a pro and definitely don't have pro tools or know the best place where to get the wall panels.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS Recruiter

March 20, 2012, 12:35 PM

Monoprice -
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD

Last edited by ReasonableDoubt; March 20, 2012 at 03:34 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
YUUUUT UUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH

March 20, 2012, 01:00 PM

If you dont want to order through online, Micro Center should have the majority of what you need. From spools of cable to whatever you need to terminate it with (RJ-45 or RJ-11) and the appropriate tools they should have it.
Micro Center Northern Virginia/Fairfax

The throttle is on the left side right?

Betty: 09 Ninja 250 (sold)
Green Meanie: 09 Ninja ZX-6R (stolen )
Ruby: 10 Ninja ZX-6R (Team Kryptonite)
As of April 3, in Turn 5:
MARRC Cornerworker

"Hey Cleveland Jr.....Get Bitches" -black Stewie
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 20, 2012, 01:37 PM

It's always easier to find online but I'm hoping I can find somewhere local that I can use only what I need and return the rest since I don't exactly know how much it will take to wire up the whole place. Thank for the link Kodak.

Any electricians on here that might have vendor/resale licenses and can get these at wholesale/discount prices???
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2012, 02:13 PM

Monoprice.com.
Don't forget to invest in a signal booster or two as well. You don't want have overly long runs and drops without one installed along the way.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

March 20, 2012, 03:14 PM

recommendation:

for home theater rooms, run conduit from where you want your TV and where you think the AV equipment will go. Then install HDMI.

Depending on how long you plan on staying in this house, this is the way to go to be future-proof. Who knows how long HDMI will remain the standard. (Component didn't last too long).

And +1 with all the rest. Monoprice.com has near-dealer prices for cables.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
just some dude

March 20, 2012, 03:19 PM

i remember my coworker talking about doing this over 10 years ago when we were fresh out of school. he kept talking about when he built his dream house he'd have conduit running all throughout, so he can change out the cabling to whatever is the newest standard at the time.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

March 20, 2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
recommendation:

for home theater rooms, run conduit from where you want your TV and where you think the AV equipment will go. Then install HDMI.

Depending on how long you plan on staying in this house, this is the way to go to be future-proof. Who knows how long HDMI will remain the standard. (Component didn't last too long).

And +1 with all the rest. Monoprice.com has near-dealer prices for cables.
Can/should conduit be PVC or copper? Which is cheaper/better/easier?
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 20, 2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Can/should conduit be PVC or copper? Which is cheaper/better/easier?
Neither it should we EMT or AFC

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................

Last edited by GiixerFiend7; March 20, 2012 at 04:00 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 20, 2012, 04:02 PM

sorry im always thinking commercial you should probably just go with AFC conduit.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:

I concur.
Fiber Optic/IR came almost as fast as it went.
Then component jumped in to kick RCA out but then only lasted what, 6-7 years give or take before HDMI came along and pushed it off of boards.
HDMI is already in it's 3rd iteration if I'm not mistaken.
Who knows what's coming down the pipe in 3-4 years.

Honestly, wireless protocols are probably the next step.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

March 20, 2012, 05:00 PM

monoprice is so cheap, that you are still ahead. oh and they send a return label with each shipment.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
all around the world

March 20, 2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
monoprice is so cheap, that you are still ahead. oh and they send a return label with each shipment.
+1 I LOVE MONOPRICE

'05 ZX6R 636 - Stolen
'06 GSXR 600 - Sold
'05 BMW M3 - Sold
'08 BMW 550i MSport - Current beast
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to titanium636  
Unread
  (#14)
Now with a TBSP of love

March 20, 2012, 05:52 PM

If you need professional help, these guys are good.

Abe networks
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

March 20, 2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Heeeyyy... I'm gonna have to check out that return label part then. Maybe they'll take back the amount that is not used. I'm assuming I might as well just get a 1000' spool of each since I don't know how much I'll actually need. Figured each floor is about 10' and the length of the home is basically 40'ish. So I think the runs would be no longer than say 30-60' to each drop. About 8-10 drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritnblk View Post
If you need professional help, these guys are good.

Abe networks
Thanks. But the developer has a company that will come out and do the professional installation but they charge $135-$165 per outlet per cable and about $600 for the home theater installs. Which is why I'm doing it myself for a fraction.