DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 720
2 members and 718 guests
GRN96WS6, hokie
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

July 22, 2004, 08:20 AM

I see many people having discussions in the shoutbox. Personally, I don't read the shoutbox. That's just me though. It's like trying to read chatroom discussions. Headaches abound.

My question is this:

Does the shout box take away from discussion that would otherwise be useful here on the sight?

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

July 22, 2004, 08:30 AM

I've never seen anything that would be useful about motorcycling in the shoutbox. I'd have to say that it doesn't take away from what little motorcycle related discussion we have.
Unread
  (#3)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 22, 2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6
I see many people having discussions in the shoutbox. Personally, I don't read the shoutbox. That's just me though. It's like trying to read chatroom discussions. Headaches abound.

My question is this:

Does the shout box take away from discussion that would otherwise be useful here on the sight?
I have always thought that it "hurts" so to say on a few levels. Good sportbike related convo's are always going on in there as well as that is where most of the drama takes place. HOWEVER on the other hand it does come in handy when I need "yell" to get someones attention.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 22, 2004, 09:09 AM

It's good to have for a quick "Hey" but I see many discussions that would be better without the intermixing of "sup y'alls".

Unread
  (#5)
Happiness Consultant

July 22, 2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6

My question is this:

I have always thought that it "hurts" so to say on a few levels. Good sportbike related convo's are always going on in there as well as that is where most of the drama takes place. HOWEVER on the other hand it does come in handy when I need "yell" to get someones attention.
this is probably one of those things where the pros and cons balance out.

I can see your points however I know of a few times where I was in the SB and the conversation I had became a topic which was well received. I know I've been on both ends of this, the guy with the question and the guy telling the other person to post up about it.....So thats a big PLUS. There are also times where there's been a newb question answered w/o a post. another plus as Im sure it saves on the backend DB (nerd server internal stuff).

The drama....well thats never going to go away, there will always be egos disagreeing, someone playing devil's advocate, someone not minding their own business and someone talking out his/her ass. this happens in posts as well as the SB. People who want to be in drama, are in it; just as those smart/savvy enough to stay out of it, do.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

July 22, 2004, 09:16 AM

sup ya'll!

What is everyone talking about in here?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onenamlynn Send a message via AIM to onenamlynn  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 22, 2004, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenamlynn
sup ya'll!

What is everyone talking about in here?
hi Derek! Going to Turd Week Thursday tonight? It's at leroy's chicken and waffles.

Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

July 22, 2004, 09:42 AM

Who wants to meet up at wal-mart and ride up together?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 22, 2004, 11:13 AM

Whirred!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Super Moderator

July 22, 2004, 11:49 AM

Like Kevers said. It has its pros and cons. But I dont think it takes anything away from the board at all. I thinik its pretty cool just to jump on and say HI to all and get something back right away. And if there is a good conversation or point to be brought up in the shoutbox, it usually gets posted up...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 22, 2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
Like Kevers said. It has its pros and cons. But I dont think it takes anything away from the board at all. I thinik its pretty cool just to jump on and say HI to all and get something back right away. And if there is a good conversation or point to be brought up in the shoutbox, it usually gets posted up...

Stop looking at avatars... start reading members names

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

July 22, 2004, 12:37 PM

What's a "shout box"?

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#13)
Richard Cranium

July 22, 2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6
What's a "shout box"?
something twiggy calls his girlfriend

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

July 23, 2004, 08:11 AM

It's a good way to interact with other members "live" which is cool. And I agree with Boom that most of the drama occurs there - but that's just a part of any internet forum.

The one thing that is bad about it is that banned members can still participate on the site through the shoutbox. So anything that they would want to write in a thread can be posted in the shoutbox thereby defeating the purpose of having them banned in the first place.
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

July 23, 2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymae
The one thing that is bad about it is that banned members can still participate on the site through the shoutbox. So anything that they would want to write in a thread can be posted in the shoutbox thereby defeating the purpose of having them banned in the first place.

Thats being worked on mandy.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud