DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 476
7 members and 469 guests
BigDaddyShoo, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, RacerX2050, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dog information
Unread
  (#1)
Nothing here

Dog information - April 28, 2008, 12:11 PM

Anyone have any first hand experience with Cane Corso dogs? Intelligence, dangers, family suitable, etc... I know that the way you raise a dog is about 95% of how the animal will behave, but I just wonder about the remainder.

It's a beautiful dog though.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

April 28, 2008, 12:13 PM

Read up on the breed. There is a LOT of info out there and some dog books rank them by personality, trainability and so forth.

Beautiful dog!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
Ninja in Training....

April 28, 2008, 12:17 PM

Very similar to Pits in the sense they need to be shown they are not the alpha dog. Are regarded as a very good guard dog and known for protecting their owners once attached. Great dog very big and very very strong.

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

April 28, 2008, 12:17 PM

The ones I've met (2) have both been VERY intelligent. Both were trusted around little kids, though VERY VERY well trained ... which I think has a lot to do with their interactions with humans.

Best advice I've been given (by a Seaworld animal trainer) is meet the parents of the dog, because in the end that will determine disposition. Gorgeous animal.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Spike

April 28, 2008, 12:20 PM

Also large dogs are prone to hip displacement and some have eye problems. I'd check the health too. Repsonsible breeders get a full bill of health on the animals they breed. If they cannot show you both parents and do not have a FULL health record, DO NOT BUY!!! I tried to tell my daughter that when she got both her American Pitts. They both have so many health problems, she spends more time at the vets with them than she does at the dog park!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#6)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

April 28, 2008, 12:42 PM

Also research if you are allowed to have them where you live. I know they are outlawed in a few places. PG County I think is one area you can't have these dogs.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#7)
Nothing here

April 28, 2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks all. Lots of good info here.
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

April 28, 2008, 01:19 PM

I love my pit. I say get it
Unread
  (#9)
V-Twin Extreme Power

April 28, 2008, 01:41 PM

They are gladiator dogs so much like many of the other big powerful breeds they can get a bad rap. Given that they are big strong dogs that need to have a lot of discipline and need to be socialized. As long as it is healthy and comes from a reputable place you only have to worry about your 95%.
Unread
  (#10)
FNG
Ridin' Nakid

April 28, 2008, 01:54 PM

I have a Presa Canario, sister breed, basically the same. Excellent family dog, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO TRAIN!!!! You absolutely must train your Cane / Presa or any dog for that matter. Mostly, you must socialize your dog with other dogs and people. You must also be careful that you get a purebred dog, otherwise you're just buying a pit. Most Presa / Cane here in the states are mixed. A real easy way to check is the feet, if they are spread out then the dog is mixed, if they are close (like a cat's paw) then its most likely pure. Of course there are other things to look for. The breed is very loyal they usually will only respond to the alpha family members. My Presa will only listen to me if it's between my wife or I.

- Scott -
05' SV1000s Black
-Yosh
-PCIII, dyno'd map
-BMG
Unread
  (#11)
Squid Hunter

April 28, 2008, 01:56 PM

http://www.gladiatorcanecorso.com/

My friend breeds them and is very knowledgeable about the breed.

He is also local. Feel free to email him with any questions.

Great dog as long as you have experience in training some type of mastiff/bully breed. I wouldnt own one as my first dog though.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Eweezy  
Unread
  (#12)
Groundhogs can play dead

April 28, 2008, 01:57 PM

Musikkant also has a similar breed... I've forgotten what kind he has, I believe it's a Tosa Inu, though. Disregard!
Good luck!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Nothing here

April 28, 2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooki
http://www.gladiatorcanecorso.com/

My friend breeds them and is very knowledgeable about the breed.

He is also local. Feel free to email him with any questions.

Great dog as long as you have experience in training some type of mastiff/bully breed. I wouldnt own one as my first dog though.
Awesome! Definetly not my first dog. I have had German Sheps my whole life. Just thought I would try something new. I'm partial to large and loyal breeds, but they must be family oriented as well as social. All of my dogs have had wonderful temperments around other dogs and kids.
Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 28, 2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
I have a Presa Canario, sister breed, basically the same. Excellent family dog, IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO TRAIN!!!! You absolutely must train your Cane / Presa or any dog for that matter. Mostly, you must socialize your dog with other dogs and people.
I was gonna say, my buddy has a Presa Canario, which is a close relation to the Cane Corso and his dog is a very large and imposing...teddy bear. He is a great family dog and very loyal to his owners. Of course., as FNG stated, he has been properly socialized among both people and other dogs. You already know this, but I would say just realize you are looking at a dominantly natured dog so be ready to take the time necessary for both you and the pet to ensure you dont end up with a liability.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#15)
God of the Gaps

April 28, 2008, 03:12 PM

Very cool dogs. My dad has one. I agree on the training. They're very smart and very protective of their family and space once bonded. If someone goes into my dad's house for the first time the dog tends to watch/intimidate the person until it sees that my dad or his wife approve of the person. If you get one just socialize it and get it used to other kids coming around and playing/rough housing with your kids.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to