DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 308
1 members and 307 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Double Whammy
Unread
  (#1)
Disturbed is who I be

Double Whammy - September 4, 2013, 10:49 PM

Man given heart of suicide victim marries donor's widow and then kills himself in exactly the same way | Mail Online

Man given heart of suicide victim marries donor's widow and then kills himself in exactly the same way

By PAUL THOMPSON

A man who received the transplanted heart of a suicide victim has killed himself in exactly the same way.
And, astonishingly, the same wife is mourning all over again.
Sonny Graham, who had received Terry Cottle's heart, also went on to marry his widow.
Scroll down for more...

Heart transplant recipient Sonny Graham, pictured with wife Cheryl, commited suicide

The couple met after Mr Graham started writing to her after being told her husband was his heart donor.
Twelve years after the successful transplant operation, Mr Graham shot himself dead, leaving his wife a widow for the second time in strikingly similar circumstances.
Friends said Mrs Graham, a nurse, is stunned by the bizarre turn of events.
Officials in Vidalia, Georgia, said Mr Graham, 69, died after shooting himself in the throat with a shotgun.
He was found in a garage at the home the couple shared.
In 1995, Mr Graham had been on the verge of death due to congestive heart failure.
He had less than six months to live when the call came through from the Medical University of South Carolina, telling him that a heart had just become available.
It belonged to Mr Cottle, 33, who had committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.
Mr Graham went to the hospital from his home nearby and the heart was transplanted that day.
He did not know the identity of the donor, only that the heart belonged to a 33-year-old man.
A year later, Mr Graham contacted the organ donation agency wanting to thank the man's family for the gift of life.
He began writing to Mr Cottle's young widow Cheryl, a mother of four. The couple later met, fell in love, married and moved to Georgia.
Speaking shortly after their wedding, Mrs Graham said: "It helped me so much.
"Meeting Sonny made it easier for me, knowing something so good came from something so bad."
Friends of Mr Graham said he had not shown any signs of being depressed.
Scientists say there are more than 70 documented cases of transplant patients having personality changes as they take on some of the characteristics of the donor.
Last month, a woman from Lancashire claimed her literary tastes changed radically following a kidney transplant.
Cheryl Johnson used to enjoy celebrity biographies and best sellers such as The Da Vinci Code.
But now she prefers classics such as Jane Austen's Persuasion and Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.
Character changes in transplant recipients are known as cellular memory phenomenon.
However, medical experts are sceptical about the concept and insist there is little convincing evidence

I'd rather be riding my Bike think'n about God than be in Church think'n about my Bike.

"Da PrOwLeR"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
isn't camping great?!?!

September 4, 2013, 11:02 PM

cheryl did it. twice.

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

September 5, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
cheryl did it. twice.
I'm with this guy, but I'll hit dat azz

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

September 5, 2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
I'm with this guy, but I'll hit dat azz
You'll kill yourself if you do.....

Memory being stored in organs other than your brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

September 5, 2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You'll kill yourself if you do.....

Memory being stored in organs other than your brain...
I'm quite skeptical as well. However, it is worth pausing for just a moment to consider two things about memory. First, we don't fully understand the underlying mechanisms at all, although yes, the brain seems to be the site of memory based on the effects of traumatic brain injury without concomitant injuries at other sites. Second, we are beginning to understand the role of prion protein in memory. Last year a team of researchers found a role for normal prion protein in zinc management. Abnormally high levels of zinc are associated with Alzheimer's Disease, whereas prion protein seems to participate in regulation of zinc concentrations. It is at least plausible that an organ transplant could introduce novel forms of proteins or alter extant protein levels in the circulation that ultimately alter the protein profile of the brain. I do think it is a large stretch though.

It's important to be cautious yet curious at the same time!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; September 5, 2013 at 07:34 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 5, 2013, 07:43 AM

I think what's more likely is that the wife is either awful, and drives her men to suicide, or that she did it

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

September 5, 2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I'm quite skeptical as well. However, it is worth pausing for just a moment to consider two things about memory. First, we don't fully understand the underlying mechanisms at all, although yes, the brain seems to be the site of memory based on the effects of traumatic brain injury without concomitant injuries at other sites. Second, we are beginning to understand the role of prion protein in memory. Last year a team of researchers found a role for normal prion protein in zinc management. Abnormally high levels of zinc are associated with Alzheimer's Disease, whereas prion protein seems to participate in regulation of zinc concentrations. It is at least plausible that an organ transplant could introduce novel forms of proteins or alter extant protein levels in the circulation that ultimately alter the protein profile of the brain. I do think it is a large stretch though.

It's important to be cautious yet curious at the same time!
Certainly, for there is no truth without doubt.

I'm not sure that abnormally high levels of zinc contribute to Alzheimer's or abnormally low ones do. Autopsies have shown both to be the case in different deceased patients. Perhaps it is more a zinc balance/management issue that is at play. Progress in this field will do wonders for the quality of life of not only the afflicted, but their loved ones as well.

While I can see a possible ,yet remote chance, that organ transplant could impact influential proteins, the effect would be on current and future memories. What is suggested here is that the transplanted organ supplants existing memories with donor memories. I suspect that is more wishful thinking and a desire to be interesting on the recipients' part.

Nice to see that the woman upped her reading standards though

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.