DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 511
2 members and 509 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
DCSportbikes.net

DCSportbikes.net (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/)
-   Non-Sportbike Chat (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/)
-   -   Dr. Benjamin S. Carson: My role model is Jesus (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/dr-benjamin-s-carson-my-role-model-jesus-78904/)

OrangeShirtDude February 7, 2013 05:24 PM

Dr. Benjamin S. Carson: My role model is Jesus

People laugh, snicker, and ridicule myself and others who liken our current decline to that of ancient Rome. However, I don't feel too bad in the company of men like Dr. Ben Carson, pediatric neurosurgeon right up the road here at JHU, who had this to say at the recent Presidential Prayer Breakfast:

“I think particularly about ancient Rome—very powerful, nobody could even challenge them militarily, but what happened to them? They destroyed themselves from within. Moral decay,… fiscal irresponsibility,… they destroyed themselves. And if you don’t think that can happen to America, you get out your books, and you start reading.”

Watch the full address here: Dr Ben Carson throws out political correctness during speech in front Obama who’s not happy |

Brilliant scholar and extremely talented surgeon borne out of dirt-poor black America--believes in Christ and the claims of the Bible. Clearly nobody's fool. Anyone care to reflect on what he said and discuss?

drt_Jumper February 7, 2013 05:40 PM

I like Penguins, and even some grasshoppers. Occasionally I will find myself wishing I was a flying squirrel.

GiixerFiend7 February 7, 2013 06:27 PM

If everyone thought this way the world would be a much better place and America would be the country our founding fathers had envisioned.

DocZ February 7, 2013 07:11 PM

I agree that it could happen. I do not agree with linking it to religion.

Nubbs February 7, 2013 10:52 PM

:popcorn:

You are the ultimate troll and hid behind christ while doing it.

I still respect you as a person, I just want to point out the elephant in the room.

big_sur February 8, 2013 06:42 AM

Seems to me it's principally a discussion on intellectual achievement and education (ironically). The guy believes in god, but that's clearly not the point of the speech.

{SALVA} February 8, 2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocZ (Post 1321867)
I agree that it could happen. I do not agree with linking it to religion.

I agree that it will happen, not could. "Nothing lasts forever", I think there's a song about it. All empires will fall, same with the American. Are we at the beginning of it? who knows? things might pick up again and decline will be further pushed back, but eventually it will happen.
Exciting times people!!

also what big-sur and nubbs said.

boomboom929 February 8, 2013 07:38 AM

There's a difference between education and indoctrination...I thought his whole speech was spot on

Scot February 8, 2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubbs (Post 1321908)

I still respect you as a person, I just want to point out the elephant in the room.

and you did so on point. haha

OrangeShirtDude February 8, 2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

:lol: I'm not hiding!

"Moral decay and fiscal irresponsibility"--circuses and free bread for everyone. We're destroying ourselves from within, but we have a strong military for the enemy "out there". Our leaders are our bosses, our "Dads" (while they steal from the public largesse)--so says Chris Rock. An estimated 50 million pregnancies have been aborted since Roe v Wade, disproportionately so in the Black community, and the Democratic National Convention platform is now everything the Apostle Paul admonished in Romans 1 and virtually nothing else. Hedonism is now Federal.

Edward Gibbon gave five main reasons for Rome's fall:
  • Rapid increase of divorce, with the undermining of the sanctity of the home, which is the basis of society.
  • Higher and higher taxes; the spending of money for bread and celebrations.
  • The mad craze for pleasure, sports becoming every year more exciting and more brutal.
  • The building of gigantic armaments, when the real enemy was within; the decadence of the people.
  • The decay of religion; faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life, and becoming impotent to guide it.
All five of these things can EASILY be said about our culture today. I didn't say these things, Gibbon said them centuries ago about Rome. All I can do is be one of the few willing to be that troll who makes the parallels known.

OrangeShirtDude February 8, 2013 08:47 AM

Regarding Gibbon's point on sports, I watched the latter three quarters of the Super Bowl and was surprised by how much post-play pushing and shoving there was on the field. It's the first super bowl I've watched in probably 10 years; I generally don't watch any sports at all. So there's a 10 or so year gap, and I can tell you that the fighting has increased substantially. Look back at the old reels from a decade ago. There were maybe 1 or 2 scuffles in a SEASON. Now it's at least that in every game. And that's just football. Look at the fighting in basketball that used to NEVER be tolerated.

big_sur February 8, 2013 09:22 AM

You do know that Gibbon thought Christianity was partially to blame for the fall of Rome in that he believed it made people focus on fairly tales as opposed to reality. The "loss of civic virtue" I believe he called it. His views were very much anti-christian and you're putting him at the crux of some contrived parallel between Rome, the US and god?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...o5wdo1_400.jpg

dodge131 February 8, 2013 09:28 AM

I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out! Yea but Rome sure does look good in my photos!

Too40gawlf February 8, 2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sur (Post 1321992)
You do know that Gibbon thought Christianity was partially to blame for the fall of Rome in that he believed it made people focus on fairly tales as opposed to reality. The "loss of civic virtue" I believe he called it. His views were very much anti-christian and you're putting him at the crux of some contrived parallel between Rome, the US and god?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...o5wdo1_400.jpg

Your drivel in the AWB thread belies your cultural marxism which in turn belies your hate for Christianity/religion which obstructs your ability to process the logic in the argument without focusing on God.

Scratch February 8, 2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

It's in the job description. Matthew 4:19. :lol: