DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 451
3 members and 448 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
driving cross country question
Unread
  (#1)
watch this!...

driving cross country question - August 21, 2013, 09:25 PM

Driving across country, I was thinking about buying a gps unit but would rather not spend the money on one (don't really have the cash). Relying on the iphone 5 won't work if I lose service along the way, so I need something that can go straight GPS for when there is no cell service. Is a GPS device my only route?

Thought about buying one maybe from a big box store and then return it when I get out west. Maybe someone here has one I could use/rent and I could mail it to them when I get out there.

I mean I'm good with maps I was a map man for a couple years and my directional skills are swell. Cross country though I'm sure I will lose track when tired or not paying attention when checking out my surroundings ya'know. I think it would be nice to have a back up.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

August 21, 2013, 09:30 PM

Down load WAZE first on your iphone.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No more 1050 :(

August 21, 2013, 09:32 PM

You driving by yourself? How many stops/ how many detours? If you plan on crisscrossing your way across, a GPS would probably be useful... if you're driving as the crow flies, that GPS will only tell you to take the next exit in 800 miles.. not all too super useful.

It's not too hard to find yourself on a map, especially if you know maps.. and especially if you plan to stick on major highways.

And ya, Waze is nice. Gives you warnings for accidents, coppers, all sorts of goodies.
Unread
  (#4)
watch this!...

August 21, 2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Down load WAZE first on your iphone.
Just did it.
Unread
  (#5)
watch this!...

August 21, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
You driving by yourself? How many stops/ how many detours? If you plan on crisscrossing your way across, a GPS would probably be useful... if you're driving as the crow flies, that GPS will only tell you to take the next exit in 800 miles.. not all too super useful.

It's not too hard to find yourself on a map, especially if you know maps.. and especially if you plan to stick on major highways.

And ya, Waze is nice. Gives you warnings for accidents, coppers, all sorts of goodies.
yeah i'll probably be solo trucking...

I guess the GPS would really just prevent the having to stop for a minute or so using the dome light to check the map and continue on the journey. Also if no cell service it will tell me exactly where I am if I do pass an exit or try to avoid traffic and shit.
Unread
  (#6)
fo shizzle

August 21, 2013, 10:54 PM

PM sent

Unread
  (#7)
starbucks ADV rider

August 22, 2013, 06:24 AM

Theres an App called Galileo, it stores map data, so you can do everything offline

08 Yamaha WR450F/ SM
12 Yamaha SuperTenere
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

August 23, 2013, 02:19 PM

you can use your iphone gps just fine as long as you preload maps. directions may not load, but iphone shows current location no matter what, it simply wont UPDATE maps. I use gps service on phones without service. thats all I use them for. plus you can get free wifi at almost EVERY restaurant and many gas stations. I have converted to voip, and only use a burner for calls now. fuck paying monthly. I drive all over daily, its my fucking job.
Unread
  (#9)
250 cc's of awesomeness

August 23, 2013, 02:32 PM

Drove across country twice and used my phone for the GPS both times. Honestly tho, you have to be a total twat to get lost driving across country. From DC, head west.

Seriously tho, it's very easy to do. Which route are you planning on going? Southern or northern? I drove west the northern route and east the southern route. Both have really cool things to see and both have really boring areas like Nebraska and Oklahoma. On the northern route you will pass by Bonneville, when I did I broke out my supermoto race bike and blasted it for about a half hour on the salt flats, what a blast. Lots of other cool things to do and see as well. On the southern route I stopped in Roswell and checked all the cool alien tourist trap stuff.

Next summer I'm planning on doing a 1 month cross country motorcycle trip and have a ton of stops planned out.
Unread
  (#10)
TNT
GP Champ

August 23, 2013, 03:11 PM

Are you doing a bunch of sightseeing off the interstate along the way? If not, I wouldn't buy anything extra except a US roads map book. If so, then GPS may be worth it, but I've done about 14 x-c drives with no GPS. If you plan your stops in advance, you never need one - good signage on the interstates. It's wake up, eat, get on I-40, stop at hotel 9+ hours later, eat, sleep, repeat. Can help to have a notepad with you that just says which exits (#s) you need if you are going off the beaten trail.
Unread
  (#11)
watch this!...

August 27, 2013, 10:54 AM

Gonna go with the 40 route going south, my friend was over the house last night and he is a big rig trucker in town on a layover and we talked a bit about the trip.

Someone offered up a gps that they don't use often so it's no big deal now anyway.

I know someone that did 12 hour days and did this trip in 3 days last summer, I don't think I can pull that off. lol
Unread
  (#12)
Sewing Machine Rider

August 27, 2013, 11:16 AM

Having done DC-Denver 3 times now, if you stay near interstates it's hard to get lost. We've done that drive in two 12 hr days, three 8 hr days, and 11-9-4. I like the last one the best as I'm a fan of decreasing your driving time each day.
Unread
  (#13)
watch this!...

August 27, 2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Having done DC-Denver 3 times now, if you stay near interstates it's hard to get lost. We've done that drive in two 12 hr days, three 8 hr days, and 11-9-4. I like the last one the best as I'm a fan of decreasing your driving time each day.
yeah i am thinking that was gonna happen anyway... just based on not being used to driving like that the days would taper off faster. plus since im gonna be by myself i can just stop at a rest stop take nap and keep on rolling if needed.
Unread
  (#14)
Range Rover Owner

August 27, 2013, 11:57 AM

Alexander Roy (born November 23, 1971) is an American rally race driver who has won the Spirit of Gumball trophy and in 2006 set a transcontinental driving record across the United States in 31 hours, 4 minutes.[1]
Unread
  (#15)
isn't camping great?!?!

August 27, 2013, 02:04 PM

i've driven across country several times, if not more. i use a droid phone's gps with no problems, verizon carrier. last time was winchester to san diego, 1 hour of sleep at 3 different rest stops, 41 hours total.

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)