DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
2 members and 525 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
DSLR Camera Accessories
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner

DSLR Camera Accessories - September 12, 2008, 12:29 PM

Sooo I just bought a Nikon D90, and am jumping on the DSLR bandwagon. I have a 18-105mm f3.5-f5.6 lens (which it came with) that I'm thinking about selling in favor of the 18-200mm brother (more zoom!). I also have a UV filter for it that I bought.

I'm wondering what other good accessories can you photo geeks recommend? I know a tripod is kind of a necessity for good looking photos. Can you recommend one that is small enough (light) to not be annoying? Or monopod?

Also any recommended lenses? Until I get used to the camera I'm not going to buy any new glass for it since I really am not sure what I'm going to be using it in the long run for other than vacations, etc. But any tips would be great!

I finally learned what all those different modes on the DSLR cameras I've been borrowing mean.. now I just gotta figure out how to make them work nicely to take good pics.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#2)
SIN MC President

September 12, 2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Sooo I just bought a Nikon D90, and am jumping on the DSLR bandwagon. I have a 18-105mm f3.5-f5.6 lens (which it came with) that I'm thinking about selling in favor of the 18-200mm brother (more zoom!). I also have a UV filter for it that I bought.

I'm wondering what other good accessories can you photo geeks recommend? I know a tripod is kind of a necessity for good looking photos. Can you recommend one that is small enough (light) to not be annoying? Or monopod?

Also any recommended lenses? Until I get used to the camera I'm not going to buy any new glass for it since I really am not sure what I'm going to be using it in the long run for other than vacations, etc. But any tips would be great!

I finally learned what all those different modes on the DSLR cameras I've been borrowing mean.. now I just gotta figure out how to make them work nicely to take good pics.
Accessories? if you're gonna get a tripod, go monopod. Easier to tote. Good choice on the 18-200mm...VR (Vibration Reduction) is a plus especially when shooting track photos.

I am personally always on the lookout for a decent midrange lens;one with a super wide angle...I should just bite the bullet and get a fish eye, cuz I always fancy shooting architectural structures and I get frustrated that I can't fit everything in one shot!

I don't know if the D90 has one but I love my extended battery grip! It utilizes 2 batteries which cuts down time in between charges. the vertical trigger allows for ease of portrait orientation shooting. It may feel bulky but the extra juice is well worth it..plus it makes your camera look all profressional-n-sh!t...haha!

Polarized lens filters are a plus around water/beaches/fountains...generally cuts down on glares and reflections.

External flash-get the Speedlight SB600.. honestly you dont need all of the bells & whistles of the SB800 (it's way more expensive too). the SB600 will work beautifully, and don't forget to get a flash diffuser for it too!

oh yeah... for your flash buy rechargeable batteries! They eat batteries like a Hummer on 93 Octane!

You probably already know this but this place is my Bible: www.kenrockwell.com

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Happiness Consultant

September 12, 2008, 12:44 PM

read this

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

September 12, 2008, 12:45 PM

Monopod, not a tripod.

I have a 70-300 lense which I really like a lot for track photos. Fisheye is really a fun lense too. If you plan on taking pics at clubs and shit I'd look into a good flash with diffuser.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Rat's on Crack Attack

September 12, 2008, 12:46 PM

I recommend that you give it to me for my birthday

"And then, God created man. And I wanted to thank her right then and there for the snake, the apple, and the free will to mess up the entire world"
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

September 12, 2008, 12:46 PM

here too
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 12, 2008, 01:11 PM

a tripod or monopod isnt necessary for good looking photos. A monopod is good for holding a heavy camera, and a tripod is great for night shots or when you need the camera perfectly stable and stationary.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#8)
Eddie would go ...

September 12, 2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
I have a 70-300 lense which I really like a lot for track photos. Fisheye is really a fun lense too.
Obviously Ben buys his ish in Britain...don't trust him or the dictionary.com quote he will post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#9)
ISO a Sugar Mama

September 12, 2008, 01:23 PM

I just picked up a Tonika 11-16. OMG! So purty.

"Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us." Dragula.

Canon shooter
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

September 12, 2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Obviously Ben buys his ish in Britain...don't trust him or the dictionary.com quote he will post...
Irish grandmother... taught me to spell when I was four... I also add a "u" to colour, flavour, and fuck your mothour.

I thought we already went over this? Old news.

Define irony... the Dutch... saying someone else isn't trustworthy

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; September 12, 2008 at 01:32 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

September 12, 2008, 01:31 PM

It would be cool to get together with some of the smarty folks and practice taking pix. My D80 is great!

I have the 18-200 VR , tripod, and SB800.

I keep practicing in manual mode, but my pix still look better in P mode unfortunately. Im still a noob..

If i was standing next to a person taking the same pic that came out better, it would be cool for that person to explain to me the setting stuff. I can read ken rockwell all day long, but i just dont learn that way.

I am a haptic learner so i have to learn things by feel for it to stick in my brain..

Man, night/dark room shots are HORRENDOUS for me. Even with my VR lens i still get blurry shots...

Day shots come out great, even fast moving ones..

anyway...maybe some day it will work out. Brooks and I took a saturday a couple fall's ago and walked around a park for pics that was pretty cool.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#12)
Out of Action

September 12, 2008, 01:46 PM

The sb400 flash is always very good.. it is much smaller than the SB600. It doesn't work as a slave/remote flash.. but eh.. who cares.. how many people REALLY get hte sB800 and then have one or more sb600's as slaves (that is $500 minimum).

I have the sb400, and even put on a "bounce card" so that I can aim the flash at the ceiling but still direct a proportional amount of light forward.. kicks ass!

Having a good flash matters a ton.. especially when taking pictures in FULL bright overhead sunshine light .. trust me!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#13)
squid

September 12, 2008, 01:53 PM

I have the sb-600 (flash diffusers help a lot), definitely a great flash. It's a great investment if you plan doing doing some portrait shots or indoor photography.

What do you plan on shooting? motorsports? people? anything that comes your way? The current lens you have is good. You'll be able to find good deals on craigslist. I just bought a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 for my d40x for $360, still has 6 years left on the warranty.

There is a lot of good online tutorials, you'll be very happy once you figure your camera out more.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to elements018  
Unread
  (#14)
NOM NOM NOM

September 12, 2008, 01:57 PM

Got question for you guys. I have some few dusts on some pictures I took while ago. Here the result.

Is there a way to remove dusts of my len or mirror which is inside the camera?
Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

September 12, 2008, 02:04 PM

Are those UFO's? Dust cleaning can be done by carefully blowing off the sensor. They sell dust cleaning kits too. I haven't had to use one yet.

Forceofnature

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
It's easy to identify people who can't count to ten. They're in front of you in the supermarket express lane.
Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.